• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2015

Anna N

Snow day breakfast: Overnight-rise yeast waffle with Wright's bacon and maple syrup. Hard to beat.

waffle.JPG

I continue to be astounded at how good these waffles are. Google "Good Night Waffles." It's the recipe that comes in the book with the Waring wafflemaker. Recipe makes about 7 round Belgian waffles.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpg

Toasted home-made sandwich bread with leftover chicken thigh.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

This is Xuanwei ham (宣威火腿) from the town of Xuanwei in China's southern Yunnan province. It is considered to be among the top three hams in China. Probably one of the best in the world.

xuanweiham3.jpg

I was looking at it and thinking I haven't had 'ham and eggs' for years. I also had a pork kidney. And then I remembered that there was rice in the fridge, leftover from last night's dinner.

So, here is breakfast fried rice with ham, eggs and kidney. Also, peas, garlic, green chilli, Chinese chives, coriander leaf/cilantro, and a splash of Shaoxing wine.

breakfast.jpg

Apologies for the picture quality. I was using my not very good cell phone.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Wow !

is that ham cured is like serrano etc ? the fat distribution looks a bit odd :  are they different pieces in fat ?

what does ham like that cost ?

curiosity doesnt always kill the cat, BTW

is that ham cured is like serrano etc ? the fat distribution looks a bit odd : are they different pieces in fat ?

what does ham like that cost ?

Yes, basically the same process. Different breed of pig, though. Wumeng pigs. And locally sourced salt.

Yes that is one piece.Or rather, was. It isn't always so fatty. But the fat is tasty and renders very easily. Here is another less fatty sample.

xuanwei-ham2.jpg

In pure exchange rate terms it is around $30 a kilo, but you would have to factor in purchasing power. Most locals consider it to be very expensive.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.jpg

Steamed rice topped with canned sardines in tomato sauce.

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Thinly sliced duck breast on toasted home-made bread with some lingonberry jam.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Japanese style egg and shrimp fried rice.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Was either a late breakfast or early lunch. Another bowl of fried rice. If I don't get to the grocery store soon……

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

pancake and bacon for the little one.. for myself, I made two pieces of bacon, drained the grease, added arugula and then a couple of scrambled eggs to the pan, then mozzarella, added between two pieces of bread and then toasted both sides of the bread in butter.. 

But, here is the pancake and a hot chocolate

16698907050_3ae8b77009_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 4

recently I was reminded how much I like tomatoes and eggs.  I thought Id try this :

TomatToast.jpg

home made machine bread and sliced tomato pre CSB to make the toast part

TomatToastEgg.jpg

eggs on top of the toasted tomato/bread

it was good.  sorry no money shot.  I like to eat the yolks whole

the bread was not as fresh as it should be  ( baking a loaf as I type ) and the bottom

needed more time in the CuisinartCombi to get the tomatoes done a bit more

but it has potential  !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 6

ill try this tomorrow w todays bread and a full 7 min in the CSB on 'toast'

it need something else 'creamy' to compliment both the tomatoes and the eggs

Maybe some cheese? Swiss? 

• Like 1

I frequently make something like this for breakfast.  Toasted bread sandwich with fried egg, tomato and mayonnaise.  Brie also works well as the creamy element in place of the mayo... gets a little melty from the hot fried egg

• Like 2

image.jpg

Broiled "Korean cut" short ribs. Why for breakfast? I am certain that many of you have run into the same problem. You decide on dinner, take out the meat from the freezer, thaw it out and something happens. You plan on it for lunch the next day. Something else happens. You move it to dinner that night. And yes something else happens. You now face the prospect of cook it and store it in the fridge or freezer, risk tossing it into the garbage (shudder) or have it for your next meal whatever that meal happens to be. Hence ribs for breakfast.

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

Hence ribs for breakfast.

Nothing wrong with ribs for breakfast, for any reason!   :smile:

And yours look very tasty. But know exactly what you mean about food that gets defrosted and then put off for some reason, etc. 

Thanks, FauxPas, I knew I wouldn't be the only one.

image.jpg

Cold soba noodles.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog