• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2015

Anna N

and today. Today was better. Omelet was with eggs from a friends birds. Not sure what to do with the smaller ones...faux quail eggs?

attachicon.gifIMG_20150215_092230_234.jpg

The folks I have bought eggs from in the past said they were pullet eggs...young hens who are just getting the start of laying...and they are noticeably smaller.

Breakfast this morning was pancakes with wild blueberries and turkey breakfast sausages.

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

A facebook friend posted "egg white nests", so I tried some today. They remind me of the egg white "buns" I used to make on the Dr. Atkins diet, except today's didn't have cream of tartar powder. 

I need to make a deeper and bigger well in the middle before I bake the nests, but they were good.

Egg white nest with yolk

attachicon.gifEggYolkNest2333.jpg

Mixed up some cooked bacon and sweet and serrano peppers for hubby's

attachicon.gifOmeletNest2334.jpg

As we are trying to cut back on starches such as bread, potato, and rice, I'll be making more of the "buns" for lunch tomorrow!

Dejah,  Love the first picture.  That is a breakfast that Moe would love.

Hard%20Boiled%20Eggs%20and%20toast%20Feb

Today's breakfast.

• Like 2

I have been wanting to try out the King Arthur No-Knead Harvest Bread since Anna did it last month and tried it last Friday.  The recipe calls for a 14-15-inch long lidded stonewear baker, a 9x12-inch oval deep casserole dish with lid or a 9-10-inch round lidded baking crock.  I only had a 7x10-inch Schlemmertopf and thought it would be too small.  My mother ended up having the larger one and I used that.  Turns out it would have been better to use my smaller one.  The bread rose properly because it had great texture and flavor, but it was only 2-inches high:

med_gallery_3331_119_12668.jpg

Inside:

med_gallery_3331_119_55714.jpg

It makes really great toast:

med_gallery_3331_119_57920.jpg

Breakfast this morning:

med_gallery_3331_117_62013.jpg

Eggs (from a friend’s hens) on wilted spinach, Harvest bread and sausage.  

• Like 4

Kim

Glad you finally made the bread. I don't believe I got a huge rise either. I'm tempted to make it again very soon.

image.jpg

Udon noodles with a poached egg

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

that harvest bread looks spectacular.

Im going to DL the Rx from KAF

if ever stop shoveling show, I hope to try it in 'batches' in the CSB w the steam rise feature

I can tell toasted   ( CSB,  :raz: )  with quality butter might be just the things this winter.

gfweb -- use those pullet eggs for Scotch eggs! I use quail eggs when I can get them, but I don't have a consistent supply.

Haven't been in breakfast mode of late. Made bran muffins one weekend morning, enjoyed with an unhealthy amount of butter:

bran muffins.JPG

And another couple of mornings, it was a very basic quiche -- eggs, cream, chopped ham, Emmenthaler. I don't bake my quiches in a crust; got out of the habit when I was baking them for my daughter, who has celiac disease and must be gluten-free. 

520485d3-da3d-424e-9f4a-6436b416060c_zpsnnacg1mc.JPG

This wasn't as good as I thought it would be; I didn't salt the eggs because it's been my experience the cheese and ham add enough salt. This time, they did not.

Edited by kayb (log)

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Scrambled egg (only one left) and part of my first batch of sausage. I got tired of the gristle and yuck texture of Mssrs. Dean and Evans and couldn't find the good stuff recommended by Rotuts. It was worth the minimal effort (and something to do on a wretchedly cold night). Going to grind it finer next time.

IMG_20150220_081944_222.jpg

• Like 4

adjust as needed.  too bad the Russian bit the dust.

the Am.Breakfast is very easy to adjust  :  a little more sage ?  a bit of heat ?

most importantly you get to KnowYourPork   and how much fat you like  ( try a tinny bit more   :huh: )

Ive also added finely minced quality bacon to the Shoulder for a bit more fat

Outstanding I must say ..........

• Like 1

image.jpg

Chawan Mushi [Japanese egg custard]

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

A not quite raw egg over rice

image.jpg

With a sprinkle of furikake.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Yesterday, I was craving pita bread after Smithy's post of her homemade ones in "Camping Princess Style." I didn't make my own, but I had some in the freezer, so I grilled a half. Then I spread it inside with mayo and stuffed with thinly sliced onion and celery, sliced boiled egg and tomato. Celery haters could sub in lettuce, but I was going for a deconstructed egg salad. It was so good. This is a keeper.

I know some of us read this thread for inspiration, and I found some information on Roadfood.com that led me to learn more about a small chain out of Colorado called "Snooze an AM Eatery", that I would like to share with you.

I looked at their innovative pancakes, and thought, "Why didn't I think of that?" Well now I have, so I'm stealing their ideas. They offer flights of three different kinds with about a dozen choices each day, and have a pancake of the day that rotates.

Among pancake choices that may be offered are:

Red velvet

Sweet potato

Cinnamon roll

Coffee and donuts

Key lime pie

Banana

Apple pie

Spiced pear

Carrot cake

Chocolate lava

Caramel apple

Blueberry danish

Blueberry lemon bar

Strawberry shortcake

Oreo

Raspberry Cheesecake

Peaches and Cream

Peanut butter cup

Cherry Bourbon

Oatmeal raisin

Cherry cobbler

Strawberry rhubarb pie

They also offer several types of eggs benedict, breakfast tacos and burritos, stuffed (or not) French toast, breakfast pot pie on puff pastry, and if you insist, more pedestrian choices.

I've included a link to the colorado menu: http://snoozeeatery.com/co-menu/

and a link to one location's yelp reviews for the mouth-watering photos: http://www.yelp.com/biz/snooze-an-am-eatery-denver-4

These folks really do have some creative ideas in food, and I was impressed by the visual appeal of all the dishes. The attention to detail is amazing. Out of 597 yelp pics, I only found 2 flaws: the dreaded green ring on a hard-boiled egg and one arugula garnish seemed a little haphazard. That's still hitting 100% after rounding.

So if you're looking for inspiration for something different for breakfast/brunch or presentation ideas, enjoy. 

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

"  Mexican chorizo "

love this stuff.  just not the version w Piggy Lymph Nodes as the main ingerdient.

never wondered what happened to them, now I know.

I like the MC on over easy eggs.  right on top of the yolk !

watching that storm myself today.  only flakes here, but hammered 50 miles S of me.

that storm 100 M north of where is going would have done in N.E.

I did do a small SV :  CkBr on sale 1.88.  three large 'plain'  three large opened up and pounded w a tranch

of Benton's bacon and mustard then rolled and tied.  no idea why

just tossed the done CkBr  ( 6 ) in an 8 foot solid snow bank right outside my back door

worked fine for a rapid chill   :  20 degrees it was.

take advantage of the snow and SV up a Storm.!

• Like 1