• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cook's Illustrated Cookbook: is it worth buying?

Darienne

It may be that I have missed it in the topics, but I can't find any reference to the 2011 publication of Cook's Illustrated Cookbook: 2,000 Recipes from 20 Years of America's Most Trusted Food Magazine.  It appears to retail in the USA for $40 but is available on Amazon for far less than that. 

Obviously lots of recipes with interesting notes also.  I always love the notes and explanations.

Back home in Canada my library doesn't carry Cook's Illustrated and the larger city library has only a few issues. 

I've borrowed it from the local library in Utah and am thinking about buying it.  Any thoughts, please ? 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

The problem with Cook's Illustrated is that they reuse their recipes multiple times in their many books, magazine, special edition magazines etc. I think it is worth buying one of their bigger books which covers many different types of recipes - in that case I like their "The New Best Recipes" more than "Cook's Illustrated Cookbook"

• Like 3

...But this publication date is 2011 and it's huge... 890pages...and contains 2,000 recipes.  Surely it then stands as the best buy with the best content???

The New Best Recipes is 2004.

I'm just asking...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Darienne, I too have owned many of CI's cookbooks and I agree with Honkman that they use the same recipe in many of their books which is one of the reasons I stopped buying them. However, if you don't own ANY of their books it is likely worth buying as I have found their recipes to be, well, not exactly exciting but they are foolproof.

...But this publication date is 2011 and it's huge... 890pages...and contains 2,000 recipes.  Surely it then stands as the best buy with the best content???

The New Best Recipes is 2004.

I'm just asking...

The content of both will be very similar but I liked the less cramped layout of "New Best Recipes" much more.

Actually one CI book which is also more interesting is their take on replicating restaurant recipes at "Restaurant Favorites at Home"

Edited by Honkman (log)

You could also considering buying a membership to their website as all the recipes are online. They also have mobile apps that allow you to access the recipes on the go if you have a membership. I have the cookbook but I find myself reaching for the online versions more often as they're occasionally newer and also far more convenient and often come with videos.

PS: I am a guy.

I have a love/hate relationship with C.I. ......

On the one hand, I find thier recipies well written, well tested, and well researched, AND a lot of science behind the why's and how's.

Fair enough.

On the other hand, C.I. doesn't pass my "one second test" criteria for buying ANY cookbook.

What's that?

The recipie amounts MUST be given in weight, a separte column for ingredients by volume is nice, but will never be used.  Ever.

Folks, C.I. can do better than that. 

C.I. admits that scaling flour is far more accurate than volume measurement, it's usually right there on the front/back cover of the mag.  Thing is, they can't/won't admit that scaling sugar, butter, cocoa powder, nuts, dried fruit, etc, is ALSO far more accurate than volume measurement.  Scaling corn syrup, honey, or jam is not only more accurate, but far less messier as well.

Why the double standard? 

Cooks and bakers have been using scales for well over a thousand years now in their daily routines.  The great unwashed public?  Can they comprehend the concept of a scale? Well golly, truck drivers sure can, not only do they know their GVW, but also thier Tare.  Anyone checking a suitcase at an airline counter can comprehend the concept of weight, as well as anyone who's jumped on a scale at the doctor's office. How many cups of clothes are in your suitcase, sir?

Can C.I. comprehend that their readers purchase, flour, butter, sugar, cocoa, nuts, meat, etc by weight at stores?  Flour comes in 5 lb bags, so does sugar,  How many cups are in a bag?  Who cares?

So for me, C.I. doesn't pass my one second criteria.

Excellent point, Edward J.  I was willing to forgo all illustrations, a lovely accompaniment to recipes...but you have named one thing which I really didn't even notice.  Thank you.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I don't follow.

Do you disagree that C.I. gives all recipie amounts in a mish-mash of volume and weight?  

Like you, I find the recipies well written and well tested.  (See my above post)  This I think we are all in agreement with, No?

If you are going to write an intelligent recipie (or a $60 book for that matter), you better use an intelligent system of measuring out ingredients to compliment that recipie.  Using volume measurements for things like jam, corn syrup, honey, butter, peanut butter, etc is not very intelligent. It is messy, time consuming, and uses "one time" measuring implements that need to be washed up and really slow you down.  I simply can't comprehend the N. American mentality of using volume measurements for ingredients when it is generally acknowledged that using a scale is far more accurate, faster, and cleaner.  Professionals acknowledged this well over a thousand years ago....

My collection of C.I. magazines spans the 90's and the first few years of the 2000's.  I finally gave up on the mag when I had to convert a recipie for the zillionth time from volume measurement to weight. 

I think you should understand my perspective a bit, I o/o a bakery and chocolate store.  I buy my ingredients by weight  (as does everyone ),my reputation rests on the fact the each product I make is the same weight, taste, and appearance as the last batch.  I also need to know how much my recipies cost in order to charge a fair price, and I also need to do inventory every month (Quick, how much is that batch of puff pastry in the freezer worth?)  None of this is possible if I use volume measurements.

I have several of the CI cookbooks and have enjoyed cooking and baking from them.

In fact, I just discovered I have two of the "Family Baking Book" (500+ pages)  so will be putting one on ebay shortly.

I've used the "Quick Family Cookbook" quite a lot.  Many very good recipe.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have a love/hate relationship with C.I. ......

On the one hand, I find thier recipies well written, well tested, and well researched, AND a lot of science behind the why's and how's.

Fair enough.

On the other hand, C.I. doesn't pass my "one second test" criteria for buying ANY cookbook.

What's that?

The recipie amounts MUST be given in weight, a separte column for ingredients by volume is nice, but will never be used.  Ever.

Folks, C.I. can do better than that. 

C.I. admits that scaling flour is far more accurate than volume measurement, it's usually right there on the front/back cover of the mag.  Thing is, they can't/won't admit that scaling sugar, butter, cocoa powder, nuts, dried fruit, etc, is ALSO far more accurate than volume measurement.  Scaling corn syrup, honey, or jam is not only more accurate, but far less messier as well.

Why the double standard? 

Cooks and bakers have been using scales for well over a thousand years now in their daily routines.  The great unwashed public?  Can they comprehend the concept of a scale? Well golly, truck drivers sure can, not only do they know their GVW, but also thier Tare.  Anyone checking a suitcase at an airline counter can comprehend the concept of weight, as well as anyone who's jumped on a scale at the doctor's office. How many cups of clothes are in your suitcase, sir?

Can C.I. comprehend that their readers purchase, flour, butter, sugar, cocoa, nuts, meat, etc by weight at stores?  Flour comes in 5 lb bags, so does sugar,  How many cups are in a bag?  Who cares?

So for me, C.I. doesn't pass my one second criteria.

You could also considering buying a membership to their website as all the recipes are online. They also have mobile apps that allow you to access the recipes on the go if you have a membership. I have the cookbook but I find myself reaching for the online versions more often as they're occasionally newer and also far more convenient and often come with videos.

As far as their online membership is concerned, and unless they have changed the way they do things, access to many of their recipes required an "upgraded" (read more money) membership. I got so frustrated by that I quit the online membership. At that point I had already stopped buying their books and had given up on the magazine. I have online membership to other paid websites but they don't suffer from the incessant marketing that is now a hallmark of the CI one.

ElsieD, you are so right. I quit for exactly the same reason. If I recall, they gave me an extended membership (6 months) after I emailed them and complained bitterly that I had just renewed and then they pulled the "upgrade" trick to access recipes.

I have around 20 of the magazine issues and thank god for Eat Your Books otherwise I would never find anything.  I have The New Best Recipes, all 1000 of them.  Also have the book on meat cookery and poultry which are all quite good especially the write-ups of how and why.

I used to get their books about 10 years ago.  then I discovered they repeated many Rx's

I called them and asked about it on the 'current' best book :

they admitted that 40 % were previously published, 'in another form'  ie another book

my library has them.

however, I do watch and capture the two tv shows and have learned a lot by watching them.   they are far from

perfect and miss a tip here and there.

the books that go with the show I have, but I discovered a few years ago that

the "American Test Kitchen Cookbook"  the one for the show, is added to each year and thus they make you buy the whole thing

again

their business practices border on deceit.   

it seems there isnt a dollar out there that You Know Who doesnt lust after.

its a bit of a shame, as over all they take an idea, frequently a good one, might modify it, then

squeeze it to death for profit.

Im not against profit.  its the deceit for dollars that damages what they do.

I will pick up the cookbook you mention this morning at my library and compare it to

the TestKitchen TV show book.

they have recently started the 15th seaon

consider this book :

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Americas-Kitchen-Cookbook-2001-2015/dp/1936493934

the 15th season is already in there.

my library system has the 15 year book, but only 6 copies so far.

Im next on the list to take a peek

Edited by rotuts (log)

I'm with Mr. Tuts.

They pretty much publish the same cookbook over and over.

I've been a subscriber for literally as long as they've been around (mid 90s?). That's all they're getting from  me, as I like reading a mag without any ads - other that the ones to buy more stuff from them.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I have both books in front of me, curtesy of my Lib.

I looked up Lasagna, a revelational Rx I saw on a very old test Kitchen show

TV book :  5 Rx's

CI book :  8 Rx, but some seem to be variations on a theme

the TV book has the "Test" shopping guide, about 50 pages.   I sometimes look items up here that I cant keep straight,

like canned tomatoes.

with index :  CI  890, paper stock not as 'nice' as TV book but fine

TV Book ( through season 14 )  917.  of note the last season  ( ie 14 ) is not compiled w the whole book, just added at the end

the index does cover it.   a assume they are doing the same w the add-on S 15.   this must add at least6 $ 0.37 / book

profit to YouKnowWho.   this is not an issue.

if there is a bookstore near youi, take a peek at each.

I favor if you had to pick One over the Other, the TV book.  since you wont be getting the Other, you wont miss it at all.

BTW  there is a second TV book  :  Cooks Country.  this show is Test Kitchen deux, where they have added a Banjo Track.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Cooks-Country-Show-Cookbook/dp/1936493004

I have this.  its $  80 'used'    how they let this get out of print Ill never know.

if you have further q's, as here or PM me.

Bon Appetite.

• Like 1

Actually buying the cookbook is much cheaper than enrolling at the website. The website costs $34.95 - per year. The cookbook is available on Amazon for $22.83 new or $14.73 used. Paid once.  I use the cookbook frequently - the recipes are fussy but they work and taste very good. I've dropped, first, the magazine and, recently, the website because, as others have noted CI recycles recipes constantly. Also, the $34.95 enrollment only gives you access to recipes published in CI. To access recipes from the Test Kitchen or Cook's Country (Yes,rotuts,I hear the banjos) you need a "multi site" membership costing $69.95 per year. 

Elaina

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

BTW having just seen a recent show, PBS is selling the current TV book for 19.95  + shipping and handling

dont know what S & H is     800-955-0220  PBS

amazon is selling the book for 34.75, clever Bozzo, you need to buy something else for free shipping.

for completeness  only

Edited by rotuts (log)