• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2014–2015)

Anna N

40-mile bicycle ride today,  with a picnic at the ~2/3 point.  Yesterday was rainy and gave me a chance to play with bread baking; today we had tuna salad sandwiches as a result.  I'm really quite chuffed about the bread, although there's still plenty room for improvement.

Dinner roll tuna sandwiches at picnic.jpg

My only regret today is that I washed and bagged...and then forgot to pack...the lettuce.  :angry:

Dinner roll tuna sandwich.jpg

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

lunch 082115.jpg

Peaches and cottage cheese, along with tomato slices hidden beneath the slabs of mozzarella. With basil infused olive oil and balsamic glaze.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpg

I hold Shelby 80% responsible for this lunch because of the photos of fries in her recent blog and my daughter 20% for bringing me still-warm-from-the-earth potatoes dug from her garden.

Oven fries topped with a little leftover shin beef stew.

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

your oven fries look delicious.

how do you do yours ?

For these I peeled and cut them and put in ice water for about an hour. I drained them and gave them a few spins in my salad dryer supplemented by a couple of clean kitchen towels. I then tossed them with some canola oil and some mixed spice (a Dutch product we've discussed before), on to a foil lined quarter sheet pan and baked in the Breville XL at 450°F with convection turning them every 10 minutes or so until they were done.

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

The city in which I live, Liuzhou (named after me! :biggrin: ) is famous for two things. Coffins and snails.

The most famous dish is Liuzhou Luosifen, but many snail dishes are popular, especially as evening snacks.

zhuluosi1.jpg

Lunch today was bought pre-prepared from the supermarket. These are small river snails (see below) stewed in lu shui with ginger, chilli and although I couldn't see any, I could taste star anise. Not for chilli wimps - they are very spicy.

For an idea of size here is one snail between my fore- and middle fingers.

snailsize.jpg

We also eat the larger snails from the rice paddies, but these small ones are especially valued.

zhuluosi2.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.jpg

For the tradition-bound: bubble and squeak with nothing more than leftover mash and cabbage. The proportions were a little off. Could definitely have done with some brown sauce but the cupboard is bare.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Having disgraced myself on the Breakfast thread the other day by inflicting all sorts of indignities on a classic of Chinese cuisine, today I attempted to make amends by making a more "normal" wonton dish.

wbbc.jpg

Pork and shiitake wontons in a chicken broth with chilli, coriander leaf, garlic chives and baby bok choy.

• Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

IMG_1046.jpg

Fresh Corn, Tomato, Avocado and Basil salad - thanks to David Leibovitz. Added a chopped slice of Vidalia onion not called for - I think it was a perfect addition.

• Like 8

attachicon.gifIMG_1046.jpg

Fresh Corn, Tomato, Avocado and Basil salad - thanks to David Leibovitz. Added a chopped slice of Vidalia onion not called for - I think it was a perfect addition.

That looks about as close to perfect as food can get. The addition of cold Cajun boiled shrimp would take it over the top.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

image.jpg

Kerry and I discussed this salad when she dropped by this morning. This is my interpretation. I served it with a cheese and mango chutney sandwich.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

So there was some salad left from yesterday. I added some feta cheese and a generous grinding of black pepper and called it lunch. Not sure it will prove to be quite enough to eat but I'll wait and see.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Toasted white bread, CAIN'S mayonnaise, Rutgers tomatoes, iceberg lettuce and some zesty bread and butter pickles.

Finally finished the tomato pie.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

co-worker brought couple of slices in something his wife has been working on, a zucchini crust pizza. She finely shredded zucchini, mixed with something as a filler, pressed the crust very thin (like 1/8") and baked it in the oven. I think the sauce/cheese were added after it baked a bit and then finished in oven. Edge of crust was browned/crisp. It was pretty firm, not soggy/floppy. It was surprisingly good. I look forward to further taste tests and further experiments, once she gets the recipe down I'm totally stealing it (gonna make individual sized pies for hubby to reheat for lunch) and I think it would work with a mexican flavor profile, also.

• Like 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

co-worker brought couple of slices in something his wife has been working on, a zucchini crust pizza. She finely shredded zucchini, mixed with something as a filler, pressed the crust very thin (like 1/8") and baked it in the oven. I think the sauce/cheese were added after it baked a bit and then finished in oven. Edge of crust was browned/crisp. It was pretty firm, not soggy/floppy. It was surprisingly good. I look forward to further taste tests and further experiments, once she gets the recipe down I'm totally stealing it (gonna make individual sized pies for hubby to reheat for lunch) and I think it would work with a mexican flavor profile, also.

This has been trending on low carb blogs and generally contains a fair amount of cheese in the "crust" and sometimes also a bit of flour or bread crumbs and an egg

• Like 1

Heidi, the crust didn't taste too cheesy (but it definitely had some*), I was thinking I could put some nutritional yeast in the mix, too. I was worried it was going to be "eggy" and it wasn't, there must have been some kind of flour in the mix to bind. I've seen a few recipes online that seem to be too quiche-like, so I was pleasantly surprised by her version. *She was designing it as a healthy lunch or snack for her hubby (my co-worker) and I know from his lamentations about food cut out of his diet she would have kept the cheese binder to a minimum.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

image.jpg

Cheese and caramelized onion quesadillas.

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

No mayo.  Julia had me toss the tuna, lettuce and beans in a lemon dressing.  She also instructed to drizzle the dressing over the tomatoes and eggs so it was pretty moist.  The potato salad is a French style with parsley, white wine vinegar, shallots and olive oil mix in which one tosses the hot potatoes.  The flat breads were brushed with roasted garlic oil and a small amount of mozza cheese melted on top.

• Like 3

Had just baked a fresh loaf of sandwich bread, so took advantage of it for a bacon-and-tomato sandwich. With a bread-and-butter pickle spear and my guilty pleasure, Pringles chips.

sandwich.jpg

• Like 9

Don't ask. Eat it.