• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2014–2015)

Anna N

After two days of big breakfasts and soups/stews for dinner, I wanted something a bit lighter for Sunday lunch/dinner/midday. I had been wanting to try my hand at steak tartare since I had the wonderful version when Cyalexa and I visited The Catbird Seat recently, so I decided it was time to do that, particularly as my beef for the year (a quarter of a grass-fed steer, and he was a BIG boy, too -- about 120 pounds finished weight) was delivered this past week.

I partially thawed two small filets -- about four ounces each, and diced them in quarter-inch dice, thanking the Lord for freshly sharpened knives all the while. Mixed with those were two egg yolks, minced cornichon and capers, a bit of Dijon mustard, some chopped chives and some white truffle oil. We had it on multigrain baguette crisps.

Alongside, we had a selection of cheeses (Alpine, Idiazabal, Vermont cheddar and Parrano), quince paste olives and pickles, as well as some grilled asparagus. It was a quite excellent Sunday lunch, as well as being a great change of pace. 

app lunch.JPG

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpeg

Toasted light rye spread generously with wasabi butter (butter, wasabi paste, chopped scallion greens, soy sauce) and topped with sliced chuck eye roast.

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Salad dressed with black garlic and balsamic vinaigrette (thanks dcarch) and topped with leftover sv’d chuck eye.

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Leftovers from last night's dinner. Pasta with asparagus and chicken and for lunch I added in some roasted tomatoes that I had frozen and a dusting of Parmesan.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

A bowl of roasted vegetables (mushrooms, shallots and asparagus) and a few pieces of well-coloured polish sausage.

image.jpeg

Washed down with this locally brewed hard cider.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

wow

you can't imagine how much I love and enjoy hard cider

In my area there are some made in New England

this way and that way

but Woodpecker from GB well  ...

Id live to find this locally 

and thanks for reminding me of this

In NE   one can go to local apple orchards and get their cider   in the gallon

then you leave it set in a cool place for a week or two

it get 'hard'  not that hard but  the natural yeast takes the sweetness out of it and you get a bit of fizz

nice   dry  nice

not available in the grocery stores as that stuff has been pasteurized 

• Like 2

This week's batch of soup is eggplant parmesan soup.  Roasted eggplant is cooked with celery, onions, garlic, tomatoes, white wine, oregano, and stock, then garlicky breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese is added along with a tbsp. of balsamic vinegar and a handful of basil, and then the whole thing is pureed.

eggplant parmesean soup.jpg

• Like 5

This week's batch of soup is eggplant parmesan soup.  Roasted eggplant is cooked with celery, onions, garlic, tomatoes, white wine, oregano, and stock, then garlicky breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese is added along with a tbsp. of balsamic vinegar and a handful of basil, and then the whole thing is pureed.

attachicon.gifeggplant parmesean soup.jpg

That sounds marvelous.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpeg

Roasted carrots and parsnips "dressed" with two poached eggs

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

So a friend dropped by with some late season tomatoes. I already had some cooked bacon but alas no mayonnaise. I quickly solved that problem using the Serious Eats two minute mayo recipe. There really is bacon hiding within

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

A sensible person who might have saved this for dinner but ever since Kerry Beal handed me this package of pork chops in one of our supermarkets I have been dreaming of a juicy chop. I happen to know that my evening will be unpredictable and dinner will likely end up being nothing more than a couple of slices of toast so I made it for lunch. I sous vided it for 45 minutes at 62°C and it turned out perfectly for me. A quick sear in a cast-iron pan and a bit of seasoning was all it needed. The red cabbage was quickly sautéed with some onion in bacon fat and brightened with just a little balsamic vinegar. I had intended to stir in some lingonberry jam but I appear to be out of it.

Edited took to fix some grammatical errors and add a little more detail.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Soup and salad. Homemade fresh and dried mushroom soup done in the Instant Pot and Pepin's potato and tomato salad from Heart and Soul.

(And a little "green" for rotuts.)

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

I bought the French Champagne at my local Total Wine shop.  It's a bottle that I generally reserve for gift purposes.  TJ's used to carry the mini toasts but I have not seen them there lately.  These (made in France) were purchased at Sprouts.  The TJ's pâté comes in a little black loaf pan. It is nice and small enough that you wouldn't do irreparable damage even if you ate it all.  I usually like a more rustic pâté but today was about making it lovely.  

My former boss was French.  I visited his home right after his family had suffered a tragic loss and the menu above is what he served us that day.  It was a lesson to me that I am implementing now.

Edited to add that the cornichons are from TJ's too.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 3

image.jpeg

Had lunch out yesterday (see The Ladies Who Lunch topic) and came home with some leftover fried rice and some stir-fried vegetables with bits of protein. I made a quick, thin-rolled omelette which I sliced up, cut up the leftover stir-fried vegetables and removed most of the sauce which coated them. Heated a little bacon fat in a skillet and quickly tossed the rice with some seasoning and the egg and vegetables. Tastier than it was at the restaurant!

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog