• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 5)

Shelby

Patrick – that spaghetti and sausage that you posted on August 29th  sounds and looks wonderful.  How hot does the chile make it?  Mr. Kim loves all things spicy, but I am the opposite and sometime find commercial BBQ sauces too hot for me.

Shelby – your dove dinner was gorgeous, start to finish.  I’d have loved that table!

Basquecook – you killed me with those grilled sardines.  I’ve never seen them in Richmond – not even on a restaurant menu!

dcarch – I think that boneless wings are a wonderful idea.  I don’t have the patience to do it, but I LIKE it!  And your tomatoes make me all swoony!

Ashen – that salad is a thing of beauty.

Last night was dry salt-brined steaks with grilled onion slices, teeny tiny Brussels sprouts and Marlene’s Crispy Smashed Potatoes:

med_gallery_3331_114_211419.jpg

Since I’ve been sick and haven’t cooked for a week we might have been easily impressed, but this meal was so delicious.  I adore the salt brining method, the onions were so easy and perfectly grilled, the sprouts were amazingly small and tender and the potatoes as crisp as I always want them to be.  The icing on the cake was this gorgeous, huge tomato we found at Food of all Nations in Charlottesville last Saturday:

med_gallery_3331_114_73656.jpg

Local and organic, it was easily the best, juiciest tomato we’ve had all summer.

• Like 7

20140908_164240_zps1b8aa84c.jpg

School dinners!  Dont we all love them?   Well, no but I do have some fond memories of school dinners and this is one, curried kassler with  raisin rice.  Kassler  here is the  pork chop row, cured and smoked and then we just do weird things  with it,  like  adding it to a  milk based curried flavoured sauce.  My husband said it was the mildest curry sauce he has had but it was good any way. 

• Like 4

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Kim the chile in that dish is light and easily omitted. The crucial steps of the meal are really, really browning the sausage meat (removed from casing) over fairly high heat, and then the onions and garlic in the sausage and fat for about 30 minutes. Then deglaze with red wine, add de-juiced tomato, cook down until totally dark and brown for 60 minutes. PM me for detailed recipe if you like. It's all about the long, slow, brown cooking :)

c oliver yes as heidi says there is a curry tradition throughout the Caribbean, brought there by Indian immigrants in the 19th century. Local curries tend to use spices roasted whole before grinding. This particular mixture includes whole anise, mustard seed and most importantly allspice in addition to the usual coriander, cumin, methi and turmeric one finds in Pakistani and Indian masalas. The other important addition to the stew is plenty of fresh habanero chiles.

CatPoet please do not ever apologize for re-creating school meals. Some of my fondest (as well as awfullest) memories. That one looks particularly delicious.

patrickamory: Swedish school dinners  is and was rather well made, depending on school and chefs. This recipe came either with Kassler or sausage and I used to love it.  Dessert used to be an apple or a pear. But yes we had bad chefs too and food that just fills me with dread. I cant still to this day be in the same room as some one cooking  pyttipanna, it is similar  to country hash.

Edited by CatPoet (log)
  • Like 1

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

image.jpg

Nick Malgieri's Corn Pudding Tart re-heated from frozen and oven roasted fingerlings with Worcestershire sauce cream from Vedge. (Used non-vegan ingredients.)

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Patrick – that spaghetti and sausage that you posted on August 29th  sounds and looks wonderful.  How hot does the chile make it?  Mr. Kim loves all things spicy, but I am the opposite and sometime find commercial BBQ sauces too hot for me.

Shelby – your dove dinner was gorgeous, start to finish.  I’d have loved that table!

Basquecook – you killed me with those grilled sardines.  I’ve never seen them in Richmond – not even on a restaurant menu!

dcarch – I think that boneless wings are a wonderful idea.  I don’t have the patience to do it, but I LIKE it!  And your tomatoes make me all swoony!

Ashen – that salad is a thing of beauty.

Last night was dry salt-brined steaks with grilled onion slices, teeny tiny Brussels sprouts and Marlene’s Crispy Smashed Potatoes:

med_gallery_3331_114_211419.jpg

Since I’ve been sick and haven’t cooked for a week we might have been easily impressed, but this meal was so delicious.  I adore the salt brining method, the onions were so easy and perfectly grilled, the sprouts were amazingly small and tender and the potatoes as crisp as I always want them to be.  The icing on the cake was this gorgeous, huge tomato we found at Food of all Nations in Charlottesville last Saturday:

med_gallery_3331_114_73656.jpg

Local and organic, it was easily the best, juiciest tomato we’ve had all summer.

I dry brine for the Zuni chicken.  Could you elaborate on what and how long you did the steak please?

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The wife has been in a casserole mood, so I freelanced a tuna casserole.  Made with spiral colored pasta, tuna, mayo, onions, celery, peas and topped with panko.  Came out a bit too dry, but it was yummy.  Served with a salad.

tuna-casserole.jpg

tuna-casserole-plated.jpg

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 6

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I was going to make Chicken Parmesan and Carnival squash tomorrow but Charlie and Cassie have tickets to an outdoor theater for Wed. and they asked me to make it today.  The cooked squash is mashed with cooked apple, cinnamon and allspice. 

Oh, I love Carnival squash! The local farm markets are just coming out with some winter squash and the Carnival are especially beautiful this year. I was going to buy one a couple of days ago and was thinking that it would almost be a shame to cut it up as the colouring was so lovely, but also I wasn't sure how I wanted to cook it. How do you prepare yours? Do you cook the apple separately and mix them after cooking? 

HI FauxPas,  With the Carnival squash, I cut it in half with a chinese cleaver that I hammer through the squash with a wooden mallet.  After that I scooped out the seeds and followed the recipe that was on the paper sticker that was stuck to one of the squash. It said to boil the squash in water for 15 minutes, meantime cook a couple apples in a skillet with butter then add 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/8 tsp. allspice and 1/8 tsp. black pepper and then mix it in with the mashed the squash.

• Like 1

• Steamed prawns.  De-shelled this time, de-veined; marinated in and steamed with Shaohsing wine, oil, scallions, ginger, sea salt.  Don't remember now if anything else went in... 

Tong Ho (garland chrysanthemum) blanched in oiled hot water, dressed w/ oyster sauce & ground black pepper.

• White rice. 

DSCN2631a_800.jpg

ETA:  Duh.  Yes, lots of chopped smashed garlic (Siberian Red) also went into the steamed prawns dish.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 6

• Steamed prawns.  De-shelled this time, de-veined; marinated in and steamed with Shaohsing wine, oil, scallions, ginger, sea salt.  Don't remember now if anything else went in... 

Tong Ho (garland chrysanthemum) blanched in oiled hot water, dressed w/ oyster sauce & ground black pepper.

• White rice. 

attachicon.gifDSCN2631a_800.jpg

ETA:  Duh.  Yes, lots of chopped smashed garlic (Siberian Red) also went into the steamed prawns dish.

What kind of oil, huiray?  TIA.  PS:  Your meals look terrific.  Every day.  Impressed :)

20140910_165942_zps4988de30.jpg

Our dinner today was Peruvian Chicken with potatoes and tomato and mango mole.

It was really lovely and we all loved it.

• Like 8

A few recent meals.

Tex Mex two days in a row.

Chiles%20Rellenos%20September%208th%2C%2

Chile Rellenos.  Roasted fresh poblano peppers and stuffed with cheese.

Chicken%20Chimichanga%20September%209th%

I had leftover salsa and beans, so I made Chicken Chimichungas.  Just had to make the sauce, cook some rice and roast a couple of chicken breasts.

Earlier this week we had breaded chicken breasts. 

Breaded%20Chicken%20Breasts%20September%

Fresh bread crumbs seasoned with fresh grated parmesan cheese.

• Like 10