• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 5)

Shelby

Great stuff, everyone.

Thanks, Shelby. I had some for breakfast in addition to the scrambled eggs. Really hit the spot.

Tonight:

15226960221_5efa028565_z.jpg

15226959951_b995ed9749_z.jpg

Warm crushed potatoes, with anchovy, garlic and tomato confit

15230667292_581722c1b2_z.jpg

15208010286_d90717d5c5_z.jpg

Ojo de cabra heirloom beans, with black cabbage, shallots and poblano chile

Details for both in the Buvette thread.

• Like 4

from top to down:

amuse: tandoori maccaroni, prawns in lardo on lentils, watermelon with onions, mint and bottarga

1st course: pastis cured salmon, fennel sous vide, fennel gel, fennel pollen, fennelgrissini

2nd: clear kohlrabi essence

3rd: pistachio gnocci with ceps

Shot: lime, ginger, apple carbonised

4th: corn fed chickenbreast with corn cream, glazed corn, corn glass, popcorn, jus, fried sage

5th: peach, tarte with thyme shortcrust, with tequila infused peach, sorbet, lavender

• Like 2

20140914_171853_zps8f79eadd.jpg

Pork rosette  with hasselbackspotatoes, salad and gravy. It was heaven on a plate.

20140914_174754_zpseed1a501.jpg

Dessert:  Apple crumble trifle... it was divine .

• Like 8

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

15056029479_e35796e3be_z.jpg

15056098250_34cb78b363_z.jpg

Fagiolini in salsa di acciughe ("green beans in anchovy sauce")

15239698751_d84f2fd4af_z.jpg

Adobong puti ("white adobo"), steamed rice

This version differs slightly from the recipe in RecipeGullet for Filipino chicken adobo.

Recipe is here: http://asianinamericamag.com/2013/02/adobong-puti-the-arobung-maputi-kapampangan-old-style-white-adobo/ with the added step of frying garlic in oil, then frying the chicken after it was done, then returning both garlic and fried chicken to the pot along with a touch of patis (fish sauce), after which the remaining sauce was brought back to a boil for a couple of minutes.

• Like 5

I have a few more dinners sous vide steak , bone in. Done in a zip lock bag...I may be experiencing beginners luck but this steak was incredible!

Last night I had a leg of lamb halal butchered ( I live in next to a road called International Avenue, I am in Heaven) I would have liked the lamb a bit more medium rare but my guests were very happy with it.

10669107_10152266537457703_4249980675821358239_o.jpg

10370906_10152266719387703_2582605014906515903_n.jpg

10649583_10152268467057703_4791270001255578425_n.jpg

10688473_10152268467052703_8253482057890282068_o.jpg

• Like 7

Looks great, Mmmpomps.  That one wasn't sous vide, was it?  Lamb is one of my favourite meats for SV treatment.  I do a very nice line in lamb racks; an hour or two at 58°C then blasted in a hot pan with rice bran oil.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

• Chillied chicken wings.

• Wong Nga Pak stir-fried w/ garlic.

• White rice.

The wings were marinated w/ powdered turmeric, salt, vegetable oil, just enough water to be able to coat/toss the wings; then deep-fried & reserved (paper towels).  Sliced onions, smashed chopped garlic, sliced deseeded red cayenne and hot long green chillies were sautéed in peanut oil w/ tamarind slurry, palm sugar, salt, fresh lime juice.  The wings were added in and tossed to coat and re-warm.  (I have a feeling I forgot to list something)

DSCN2670a_800.jpg

• Like 4

Late dinner, 2:00 am.  Chicken mechoui, Paula Wolfert, three hours on the rotisserie.  One of my favorite meals.  It always takes longer than I think.  Tomato from my balcony.  Pseudo North African flat bread which was very good.  Set off all the smoke detectors (OK, there are only two).  Something to do with a generous amount of rum and a 600 deg F baking stone.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

More bacon wrapped doves stuffed with peppers from the garden.  This time they ALL had the livers and hearts left in them.  I was a happy girl :)

photo 1.JPG

Scalloped taters.  I really like this recipe.  It's easy and my potatoes always get done.  Before I have had troubles with that.  You start the taters on top of the stove and then finish in the oven.  Heck, maybe everyone does them like that and I'm just late to the party lol.

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

• Like 10

More bacon wrapped doves stuffed with peppers from the garden.  This time they ALL had the livers and hearts left in them.  I was a happy girl :)

attachicon.gifphoto 1.JPG

Scalloped taters.  I really like this recipe.  It's easy and my potatoes always get done.  Before I have had troubles with that.  You start the taters on top of the stove and then finish in the oven.  Heck, maybe everyone does them like that and I'm just late to the party lol.

attachicon.gifphoto 2.JPG

attachicon.gifphoto 3.JPG

Hi, do you have a recipe for those potatoes?  They look wonderful.

Hi, do you have a recipe for those potatoes?  They look wonderful.

Yes, very very easy.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Butter a skillet

Thinly slice 3-4 taters

Place a layer of taters in skillet.

Sprinkle with salt and pepper (I use a flavored salt that has rosemary, garlic and sage in it called Seasonello.  Love that stuff)

Sprinkle about a tsp of flour

Add shredded cheese--I like a sharp cheddar but a Gruyere would be good.

Repeat this process until taters are used up

Pour heavy cream over until it can be seen around the taters--maybe about 3/4 of the way full

On the stove at medium heat bring to a boil

Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until most of the liquid is absorbed--15-20 mins

Pop it in the oven and cook until bubbly and taters are tender.  10-20 mins.  I also add a bit more cheese on top before putting in the oven

• Like 5

Mmmmm Soba and hurray - white adobo, chillied chicken wings - this is the good stuff folks!

Silkie, pressure cooked with scallions, garlic, salt, water and a splash of rice wine, laid out for boning:

silkie_pieces.jpg

Returned to the broth, added white pepper and a little rice wine vinegar for black chicken soup:

black_chicken_soup.jpg

Andie's recipe for Jamaican black beans and rice: 

jamaican_black_beans_and_rice.jpg

The ensemble:

the_ensemble.jpg

• Like 9

Yes, very very easy.

Butter a skillet

Thinly slice 3-4 taters

Sprinkle with salt and pepper (I use a flavored salt that has rosemary, garlic and sage in it called Seasonello.  Love that stuff)

Pour heavy cream over until it can be seen around the taters--maybe about 3/4 of the way full

Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until most of the liquid is absorbed--15-20 mins

Pop it in the oven and cook until bubbly and taters are tender.  10-20 mins.  I also add a bit more cheese on top before putting in the oven

Yes, very very easy.

Butter a skillet

Thinly slice 3-4 taters

Thanks so much.  Sounds great and, yes, easy.

• Like 1

Sounds interesting! Can you tell us a bit more about it? 

Certainly. The grouse breasts are skinned, de-nerved and marinated in whiskey for 30 minutes. They are then layered in a ring mold, first the breast, then a mixture of the thighs, foie gras terrine, lardo, and porcini mushroom, all cut into a brunoise and bound in a chicken mousse, then topped with the other breast. This is cooked sous vide at 54C for an hour and 15 minutes, then chilled. The bones of the grouse are marinated in whiskey for a few hours, then drained and browned to form a jus with diced carrot, onion, thyme, garlic and black peppercorn. Deglazed with the whiskey marinade, flambéed, reduced, then a ladle or two of chicken stock is added and reduced to glaze, repeated three or four times, then chicken stock is added  to cover and it is simmered for an hour. This jus is then passed and reduced, and finally thickened with pig's blood, and seasoned with a few drops of whiskey, salt and pepper. Once the grouse has been reheated at 85C for 10 minutes, it is cut into rectangles and glazed in this sauce. On the side are La Ratte potatoes cooked in salted water, crushed with a fork with some butter, and on top are potato chips (yukon gold sliced thinly on a mandoline and fried at a low temperature). It is really the greatest thing I have made and eaten. The flavors are pronounced and complex, the taste is rich, but balanced by the whiskey. Simply amazing. A dish from Yannick Alléno. 

• Like 6

• Soup.  Chicken stock, hon-dashi, straw mushrooms, wakame, scallions.

DSCN2674b_800.jpg

• Beef shin braise.  Smashed garlic, oil, whole beef shin cut into thick rounds, shiro miso, water, simmer; French Breakfast radishes, fennel bulb, simmer; splash of rice vinegar, bit of palm sugar, simmer.  Eaten w/ Fuzhou-type wheat noodles.

DSCN2677b_800.jpg

• Like 4

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Simple dinner.

• Miso soup.  Shiro miso, hot water, wakame, katsuobushi, scallions.  It looked like the previous night's soup although it tasted different.

• Firm tofu, deep-fried in oil previously used to deep-fry turmeric chicken wings.  Lingham's Hot Sauce + Kokita Sambal Bangkok + fresh lime juice.  Chiffonaded wong nga pak.

DSCN2685a_800.jpg

• Like 1

Certainly. The grouse breasts are skinned, de-nerved and marinated in whiskey for 30 minutes. They are then layered in a ring mold, first the breast, then a mixture of the thighs, foie gras terrine, lardo, and porcini mushroom, all cut into a brunoise and bound in a chicken mousse, then topped with the other breast. This is cooked sous vide at 54C for an hour and 15 minutes, then chilled. The bones of the grouse are marinated in whiskey for a few hours, then drained and browned to form a jus with diced carrot, onion, thyme, garlic and black peppercorn. Deglazed with the whiskey marinade, flambéed, reduced, then a ladle or two of chicken stock is added and reduced to glaze, repeated three or four times, then chicken stock is added  to cover and it is simmered for an hour. This jus is then passed and reduced, and finally thickened with pig's blood, and seasoned with a few drops of whiskey, salt and pepper. Once the grouse has been reheated at 85C for 10 minutes, it is cut into rectangles and glazed in this sauce. On the side are La Ratte potatoes cooked in salted water, crushed with a fork with some butter, and on top are potato chips (yukon gold sliced thinly on a mandoline and fried at a low temperature). It is really the greatest thing I have made and eaten. The flavors are pronounced and complex, the taste is rich, but balanced by the whiskey. Simply amazing. A dish from Yannick Alléno.

Magazine or 4 Seasons? I don't remember seeing that in 4 Seasons. Sounds amazing.

• Like 1