• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 5)

Shelby

Chicken thighs stuffed with ricotta cheese rehydrated morel mushrooms toasted sunflower seeds and fresh parsley and basil then roasted in the barbecue. I then placed the thighs in a pan of sautéed garden tomatoes,peppers and onions and canned artichoke hearts. I added a homemade marinara sauce, graded with Parmesan and mozzarella cheese. I then put the lid on and slow simmered for about 10 minutes.

IMG_3357.JPG

IMG_3361.JPG

• Like 9

Used some of the leftover meatloaf to make a meatloaf casserole.  This was invented by my wife and realized by me.  It was meatloaf, colored spiral pasta and a little more chopped celery, mixed with a sauce similar to the meatloaf glaze (ketchup, sugar, soy and molasses) and topped with panko.  Baked at 375 for 30 minutes.  Served with salad.

meatloaf-cass-1.jpg

meatloaf-cass-2.jpg

• Like 3

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

(((   FD :  Celery adds nothing but Yuk   My view    at least its not green bell peppers !!! )

Ill keep this in mind

sans the Celery

C. leaves ?   mighty Fine.

LOL! I think you are my palate twin

• Like 1

Sorry about that!

That was Greek yogurt mixed with curry powder, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice,

Chile powder and a few other things. Slathered on a

Cauliflower and Roasted at 400 degrees for like 40 minutes or so.

• Like 4

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Chicken thighs stuffed with ricotta cheese rehydrated morel mushrooms toasted sunflower seeds and fresh parsley and basil then roasted in the barbecue. I then placed the thighs in a pan of sautéed garden tomatoes,peppers and onions and canned artichoke hearts. I added a homemade marinara sauce, graded with Parmesan and mozzarella cheese. I then put the lid on and slow simmered for about 10 minutes.

That first photo they look to be on the grill.  ???

Sorry about that!

That was Greek yogurt mixed with curry powder, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice,

Chile powder and a few other things. Slathered on a

Cauliflower and Roasted at 400 degrees for like 40 minutes or so.

Wow, that sounds really good.  Forgive me asking more questions.  Roasted in the oven?  On a sheet pan?  Does the batter slide off a bit?

No problem.. just on a sheet pan.. Greek yogurt is thick and you add the spice mixture so it adheres well in like a paste. But, there are tons of recipes on the internet that can guide you.. I actually started researching after you asked me how or what i did.. some use cheese..  i would considered marinating the cauliflower or going so far as to injecting it with something..at the very least, i recommend cutting slits.     But, I just had some greek yogurt left over from the lamb so, i used it on the cauliflower. 

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 3

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

image.jpg

Julia's chicken with sauteed mushrooms and cream

image.jpg

Unconventionally served with macaroni and cheese and corn (to please my guest with some of his favourites).

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

No problem.. just on a sheet pan.. Greek yogurt is thick and you add the spice mixture so it adheres well in like a paste. But, there are tons of recipes on the internet that can guide you.. I actually started researching after you asked me how or what i did.. some use cheese..  i would considered marinating the cauliflower or going so far as to injecting it with something..at the very least, i recommend cutting slits.     But, I just had some greek yogurt left over from the lamb so, i used it on the cauliflower. 

I've tried roasting whole cauliflower with this type of coating, also. I think it was this one that started me on it.

Yes, totally agree that marinating or cutting some slits or something is necessary with these recipes. They seem to dry out too much on the top or else they aren't really cooked all the way through. My next attempt is going to be using the Cuisinart Convection Steam oven. I think the addition of a bit of steam might help. But I like your ideas! 

Actually, thinking about it - I think I did marinate the last one for quite a while and it didn't really help that much. I am wondering if a pre-cook might be the solution? What do you think? Steam the cauliflower briefly and then marinate and bake? 

• Like 1

Old Cucumber Soup, 老黃瓜湯.

I used two Poona Kheera cucumbers which a local grower (at the Farmers' Market) kept for me on her vines until they were actually old :-) and had a very definite cracked-pattern brown skin.  The making of the soup: oil, smashed garlic, sliced pork belly (skin on) & pork baby back ribs, sea salt, water; dried Polygonatum odoratum root/rhizome slices (玉竹), dried scallops, dried cuttlefish, Chinese jujubes ("lam jou" variety, 南棗); sliced deseeded cucumbers; goji berries.  In that order.

DSCN2587a_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 4

15120848016_3867bbe4a0_z.jpg

Pan-toasted shishito peppers, with extra-virgin olive oil and sea salt

15143843515_0b35c30af6_z.jpg

Charred okra, with heirloom garlic, tomato and preserved lime

This is a slightly tweaked version of the recipe from page 74 of "Jerusalem" (heirloom garlic instead of regular garlic, and preserved lime instead of lemon; preserved lime consists of limes, lime juice, thyme sprigs and a 2:1 mixture of sea salt and sugar).

Preserved limes -- Proceed as with a regular recipe for preserved lemon, alternating layers of lime, salt/sugar and thyme in a sterilized glass jar, then cover with lime juice. Seal. Store in a cool, dark place for 1 week. Shake the jar once a day, every day; then after the week is up, transfer to the fridge. Shake the jar once a day. Limes are ready for use after 30 total days.

15143472002_a1385c5860_z.jpg

Eggplant and tomato curry

We served this with Greek yogurt, mild lime pickle and blazing hot tomato chutney.

14957289438_ba37be830d_z.jpg

Saffron rice, with pistachio, barberries and mixed herbs (from page 105 of "Jerusalem", subbing mint and parsley for the chervil and tarragon).

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)
  • Like 6

AnnaN  Where does Julia's Ck Rx come from ?

From "The Way to Cook".

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

mm84321 – As always, great composition!

Basquecook – Fantastic clams on pasta. Unreal cauliflower!

Huiray – You cook like Ming Tsai, my favorite chef.

Anna N – Perfect lamb chops. Where do you get those beautiful corn?

Scuba – That is how salmon should be cooked. And you are magical with vegetables.

Franci – I immediately put beef liver on my shopping list after seeing yours.

Mgaretz – I always turn leftovers into meat loafs, now you turn leftover meatloaf into a new dish, LOL!

---------------------------------------------

A few dishes from Labor Day holiday.

dcarch

Ox tail and Peter Pan squash

oxtailsquash_zps6bc5bfe2.jpg

oxtailsquash3_zps97dcc03e.jpg

Stuffed boneless wings, pineapple salsa

stuffedwingsbokchoiA_zps5b5887c0.jpg

stuffedwingsbokchoiA2_zps1caf961c.jpg

Tomatoes from my over active garden

tri-colortomatoes_zpsc4c44c63.jpg

tri-colortomatoes2_zps3a7d4603.jpg

• Like 13

I love reading this thread, the quality of all your meals is a constant but inspiring reminder of how much I still have to learn!

Basquecook, can I join those asking for details of how you cooked your cauliflower ? Reminds me of the one decent meal I had while working in Krakow many years ago. It was just after travel to Poland opened up but food, in fact anything, was difficult to get hold of unless you knew the right people. We were invited to a family home for Sunday lunch. That lunch comprised a cauliflower that looked much like the one pictured. For those of us spoiled by choices available to us in Western Europe at that time it seemed odd to have just a vegetable to eat but what a vegetable that was, I don't think I've tasted any as good before or since.

• Like 1

We had pulled pork , Northern  style, with  tunnbröd ( thats bread), boiled potatoes, salad, spring onion and horseradish sauce.

• Like 1

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

image.jpg

Hardly deserving of the moniker "dinner". Still it was a tasty little meal. I had to try this:

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-moist-tender-chicken-breasts-every-time-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-36891

The breast was very moist and tender and fully cooked following this method. I like to have a few different options up my sleeve. I sliced it and dressed it with a wasabi/mayo bottled sauce and served it with my homemade pickled pears.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Incredible food everyone… so much goodness at one of the best times of year to be cooking.

Heirloom tomato salad (sorry can't remember the name of the red variety - I think the dark one was called Black Velvet or similar)

heirlooms.jpg

Vermicelli with lemon sauce

pasta_lemon.jpg

• Like 8

Soup: straw mushrooms & leafy celery in milky pork stock diluted w/ water & chicken stock (plus garlic)

Fried firm tofu & angled loofah in a sauce w/ garlic & drizzled egg.  The loofah was a little on the old side. :-(

White rice.

DSCN2591a_800.jpg

DSCN2595a_800.jpg

• Like 5

rotuts

In terms of the finished product there is little difference. To me it's a matter of what's the most appropriate method under what circumstances. If I had the need to cook 20 boneless, skinless chicken breast sous vide would win hands down. If I wanted to cook one or two chicken breasts for service four or five days down the road again I would choose sous vide. But if my sous vide unit(s) were in use for something else then this saute method would be my preference. If I wanted to use a seasoned flour coating on a few chicken breasts again I would choose the saute method. It's just a matter of recalling that there are many ways to skin a cat. (All my foster kittens just made a hasty retreat!)

My 2004 eG Blog