• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen photos

gfweb

Thank you both.

I use a cooper cleaner paste called Wright's Copper Clean from Amazon, around $15 can.  It is amazing.  Just 1/4 teaspoon on a sponge to clean a four quart pot.  I think the outer pots are going to be way cleaner than if one had a regular pot....my DH did not clean the outside.  The inside of these pot needs just good scrub, they are SS.  Highly recommended.  I got the thickest pots.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What supports the weight?  I'm only up to five copper pieces and I'm not about to try hanging them from anything!

The top bracket is supported by a large dry wall anchor and the bottom uses a dry wall plug.  It is very, very solid.  If you want more info on the upper plug, let me know and I can forward the info.  The rack is quite heavy...thinking around four lbs..  from Wayfair.

• Like 1

@Okanagancook  

what brand are those pots ?

I have a collection that came from France in '85 from 

http://e-dehillerin.fr

dI used to keep the copper outside shiny , then gave up and concentrated on keeping the inside clean w BarKeepersFriend

a work-out before every meal !

I do not have a saucier :

SAaUCIER.jpg.a8e02dad7fdeef4007246592da89b99a.jpg

For your lids :

consider saving some real cork.  flatten them w a rolling pin a bit and force under the log's handle

you want them tight 

if the lids hadles are too small  you will have to cut the cork which is hard to do and a bit dangerous

still get them snug under the handle

CORK.thumb.jpg.c7ee6bdad60ba299a4b3e58611b59fbc.jpg

they never get hot while you simmer

a tip I learned in Fr.

great collection BTW

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have 4 that are 2.5 mm

there were give to me by friends that found them too heavy to use.

all the rest are 3.5 mm from France

they are very heavy , and the 2.r mm   work just was well.

• 7 months later...

Thank you both.

The pots are just a dream to use and clean.

Buy the heavy gauge copper.

creative cookware often have sales.

On 2017-06-10 at 8:19 PM, gfweb said:

@Okanagancook Stunning. How much work is it to keep the copper pretty?

And what is a Shreddie?

I missed this question.  Shreddies are like shredded wheat but made in harder little bite size squares.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 4

• 1 year later...
On 6/5/2014 at 1:41 PM, weinoo said:

While I'm generally jealous of everyone else's huge kitchens, ranges, fireplaces, bbqs, big green eggs, etc., here's one of the reasons we bought this apartment - the view from our kitchen window...

post-6902-022341200%201295813941.jpg

Some shots of the kitchen...

post-6902-095692000%201295811371.jpg

post-6902-082775400%201295811231.jpg

post-6902-058706000%201295811254.jpg

post-6902-035098900%201295811266.jpg

post-6902-029725700%201295811390.jpg

And, of course, the coffee area...

gallery_6902_5624_1766.jpg

Without doubt the best kitchen I've laid eyes on in this thread. So many others look wonderful and I've no doubt they bring lots of joy but this one is perfect. 

It looks like a kitchen that is a pleasure to work in, everything to hand, everything easily in reach and easily returned to it's home. 

I love a comfortable kitchen, it inspires me to cook more!  I wish I could do more with my current kitchen but I'm held back by not owning it myself otherwise mine would look similar to yours 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, EatingBen said:

Without doubt the best kitchen I've laid eyes on in this thread. So many others look wonderful and I've no doubt they bring lots of joy but this one is perfect. 

It looks like a kitchen that is a pleasure to work in, everything to hand, everything easily in reach and easily returned to it's home. 

I love a comfortable kitchen, it inspires me to cook more!  I wish I could do more with my current kitchen but I'm held back by not owning it myself otherwise mine would look similar to yours 

He redid it.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I finished a remodel of my main kitchen a couple of months ago.  I waited almost five years after buying the house to remodel so I could be sure of how I wanted to use the space and what I wanted to put in it.  The first two photos are of the old kitchen, as it looked when we bought the house (these are the listing photos so the stuff on the counters and pot racks are the prior owners').  The second two are of the remodel.  You can see that I replaced the eat in area with another wall of storage/counter space and a wine fridge.  The eat in area is not necessary as there is a dining room in the room behind the stove. That dining room seats four--six in a pinch.  I have a second, much larger dining room in another area of the house that I use on the weekends when extended family and/or friends are eating with us.

Old kitchen (Copper backsplash, black appliances, dark wood, green corian counters and evil white tile floor that never looked clean)

592190446_oldkitchen.jpg.6231462e4750012ed9cd5d5c2e6334ca.jpg

150060629_oldkitchen2.jpg.ab5ccaba33954dc73f0deed8a6a81c2e.jpg

New kitchen

2135735129_kitchen2.thumb.jpg.eb8fe7e5722c69da6e764a176c744d69.jpg

kitchen2.thumb.jpg.17981dd375cbadaddd3b468d14c3f2ab.jpg

• Like 13

Wow! Stunning makeover! I love what you did. Did you replace the window also? Do you have drawer or cupboards in the island? Are those quartz countertops?

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, FauxPas said:

Wow! Stunning makeover! I love what you did. Did you replace the window also? Do you have drawer or cupboards in the island? Are those quartz countertops?

Thank you!  I am very happy with it.  Ton answer your questions: yes, we replaced the original window which had two smaller windows with a divider with one large window.  The view is out to woods so it's a pretty view, at least when there are leaves on the trees.  

The other side of the island has two regular sized drawers (I use one for silverware and the other for side towels), a microwave drawer (truthfully I did not even know these existed until we redid the kitchen but our designer insisted on it and I am happy because it frees up a lot of counter space).  There is also a very deep drawer under the microwave, which I use to store my Breville hot wok, a tall cabinet with dividers where I store sheet pans, racks and silpats, and finally a pull out cabinet where I store clean recycling and non-smelly trash until it goes to the larger bins in the garage.  

The countertops are quartzite.  

• Like 1