• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite small kitchen tools

gfweb

8 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I seem to have the same problem so I buy mine in multiples.

I think the fairies swoop in at night and steal them because it wasn't 6 months ago that I had five of them.

In my case the "fairies" are called grandkids. I have hiding spots for tape, scissors, and staples, and have recently added needles to the list because our granddaughter is teaching herself to sew.

• Haha 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

12 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

No photo because it's kind of hard to take a picture of my phone with my phone.

Easy on mine. I can take a screenshot of anything I can see on the phone including my own photos stored in the phone, then post that.

I also have three microplanes.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

18 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Forgot my box grater.

20230815_081556.thumb.jpg.d0dfc1292d1fb490a1033ea36d42cf72.jpg

I guess I'm just too old-fashioned, but it's a lot easier to clean than the food processor.

That's me as well. I have a full set of discs for my Cuisinart, which came as a throw-in with my backup machine, and I've never used even one.

...though we'll see how that changes over the years as my arthritis and tendinitis worsen. I like having them as a fallback.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I particularly dislike grating cheese by hand.

I'll happily hand wash every part of my 7-cup Cuisinart to avoid doing it.

Edited by lindag
7 cup not 7 quart. (log)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, lindag said:

I particularly dislike grating cheese by hand.

I'll happily hand wash every part of my 7-qt. Cuisinart to avoid doing it.

Wow, you must grate a LOT more at a time than I do. Just retrieving my Cuise from its shelf in the pantry takes longer than grating a couple of portions and dropping my grater into the dishwasher.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

That's my problem. I seem to have hiding spots and I forget where they are. And since it's only me to ask where I put them I seem to have a catch 22 here. It sure is fun being old.

So far I've spent days looking for my pearwood spoon.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, chromedome said:

Wow, you must grate a LOT more at a time than I do. Just retrieving my Cuise from its shelf in the pantry takes longer than grating a couple of portions and dropping my grater into the dishwasher.

Nah.  I just have less patience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, lindag said:

Nah.  I just have less patience.

Clearly we have patience for different things; that's my usual short answer for why I don't use the Cuise for this kind of purpose.

• Like 2

During Covid I became very much more aware of "fingers in food." I starting serving mixed nuts with a spoon and all finger food with some means other than fingers for taking off the serving dish. Found these at Dollarama. I thin they are about 6 for 1.50. The ones pictured have survived numerous dishwasher trips and have no cracks or chips. I use them for  charcuteriie, pickles, olives etc.

tongs.jpg

• Like 7

On 8/15/2023 at 3:22 PM, MaryIsobel said:

I thin they are about 6 for 1.50. The ones pictured have survived numerous dishwasher trips and have no cracks or chips. I use them for  charcuteriie, pickles, olives etc.

This is perfect!

• Like 1

My loot :

IMG_2807.thumb.jpg.3469fea764c11008b0da4ce3e13d406a.jpg

I like the set of funnels .  they come attached , that red thingy , end of handle.

if your dexterity is what it used to be , you and use and keep tham attached that way.

I chose to remove that .    these are nice , still stackable , useful .

I have to  get used to the softness of the silicone , but that easy.

on the bottom is the mushroom brush .

its very nice .  it does a couple of things ,  if you are ' doing ' mushrooms from time to time

very nicely .     doing what you are doing now results in the same thing this tool does 

just differently .

and last , added the Opinel  Mushroom forager knife.   

I do know where there are patches of brown buttons in my area .

this is quite the tool for that .  ( just in case , being prepared )

I have a pair of Opinel knives , from France ,  ordinary for '60,s 'and 70's 

this is just like those   a sort of workhorse Jem.

and I have no plans to use it .    

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

This is my faithful fish scaler which I've had for years. Very efficient.

fishscaler.jpg.49e678a2c31923401facf7178ac8f1d8.jpg

Recently a friend ordered one of these but was sent two so passed one on to me. It's cheap plastic which probably won't last long, but it has a sort of well to catch the scales. Good idea, but poor execution.

scaler2.thumb.jpg.f550bd9b3c0a592bcfdf031b19935d1e.jpg

I'll try it, but I strongly suspect I'll revert immediately to my old favourite.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 8/7/2023 at 8:29 AM, gfweb said:

We all have them. I'm not talking about expensive stuff.

Here's one  of  mine Silicone Lid Set (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Silicone lids. Flat and store easily. I wedge mine into the space between the range and the backsplash.

They can look crappy with long use...so buy a new set.

I just bought those in Teal(?) to augment my Viancin lids. My largest Viancin covers a lasagna dish; the smallest covers a water glass. Yes, I really do like them as does my Sweetie. 

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;