• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen photos

gfweb

I see my stove there,  I see my refrigerator there

maybe my dishwasher, but I only used that once, it stores pyrex glass baking stuff and conning ware stuff

so mush be W. Mass  Berkshires 

in E. Mass we have the GE micro built in above the stove.    We're mot Urban.

I can tell you this, Its not California

its along the Appalachian Trail.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/explore-by-state

• Like 2

Not the Appalachians--the Missouri Ozarks.  Taum Sauk Mountain, highest place in Missouri (at an *astounding* 1609') is about 5 miles to the south of me.  

The 'mountain' in the picture is called Pilot Knob, the site of a small but important Civil War battle.  

Here is a picture of my 'other' stove.  It is in the sunroom, and not working.

familyreunion 041.jpg

• Like 13
sparrowgrass

• 9 months later...

As this is proper place to post the pics of the new kitchen and dining room...here we go!  The kitchen pic is taken on an angle from the east end of the house. I have built-ins on both ends of the island. Perfect for lunch boxes, cookbooks and snack stuff for kids.  The island countertop is 1 7/8" maple.  The other countertop is soapstone. Love the veins!  Had the two plate racks custom made, and they mirror one another.  Lights are all LED.  

IMG_1550.JPG

IMG_1551.JPG

The dining room is really an extension of the kitchen. ( The door you see there leads into the mastered/bath.)  The dining set was a gift from a dear friend, and is giving us the matching hutch as well. The little side table I picked up at an antique store on Friday.  

More pics to come, after the rest of the stairs get their wood flooring, and the furniture arrives.  End to end, this floor is roughly 78-80 feet long, and 26 ft wide; but, there is also a hallway behind the kitchen, with an additional 20' by 6' (or 8') section built on top of the root cellar- which houses the laundry room, and a guest bath.     

Edited by ChocoMom
caption to photo (log)
  • Like 11

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

I love the light in the dining room - and all the counter space in the kitchen.  It looks like a wonderful place to work and relax!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

50 minutes ago, ChocoMom said:

As this is proper place to post the pics of the new kitchen and dining room...here we go!  The kitchen pic is taken on an angle from the east end of the house. I have built-ins on both ends of the island. Perfect for lunch boxes, cookbooks and snack stuff for kids.  The island countertop is 1 7/8" maple.  The other countertop is soapstone. Love the veins!  Had the two plate racks custom made, and they mirror one another.  Lights are all LED.  

IMG_1550.JPG

IMG_1551.JPG

The dining room is really an extension of the kitchen. ( The door you see there leads into the mastered/bath.)  The dining set was a gift from a dear friend, and is giving us the matching hutch as well. The little side table I picked up at an antique store on Friday.  

More pics to come, after the rest of the stairs get their wood flooring, and the furniture arrives.  End to end, this floor is roughly 78-80 feet long, and 26 ft wide; but, there is also a hallway behind the kitchen, with an additional 20' by 6' (or 8') section built on top of the root cellar- which houses the laundry room, and a guest bath.     

Gorgeous!  Great light and space.

Is that a BlueStar range I see there?

• Like 1

@ChocoMom

What a lovely kitchen and dining room! Someday, maybe I'll have a big kitchen I'll love cooking in. (I love cooking in my little one; it just has some shortcomings.)

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 hours ago, gfweb said:

Gorgeous!  Great light and space.

Is that a BlueStar range I see there?

Why, yes!  Yes, it is!  :D  LOL!   I think we have the same model, if I recall.  6 burner?  Convection fan.  17" backsplash.   Took 3 guys and an air jack to move it into place. Built like a tank. 

• Like 3

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

52 minutes ago, ChocoMom said:

Why, yes!  Yes, it is!  :D  LOL!   I think we have the same model, if I recall.  6 burner?  Convection fan.  17" backsplash.   Took 3 guys and an air jack to move it into place. Built like a tank. 

Yup!

I love the thing. Tank is right. And so easy to keep clean.

Take care with the broiler. Hotter  than hell.

Love all of your kitchen photos. Thanks for sharing. It's so interesting to see everyone's work space. Here's ours. Our condo is in a three-decker in Boston built around 1910. Don't know the dimensions of the kitchen; although on the small side, it works well for us. The island is a John Boos butcher block we've had for about 16 years. Makes a great workspace for baking or pasta making. It also serves as our eat-in table. We have a separate dining room for larger gatherings. I've also added a couple photos of our pantry. We had very little usable space in the pantry area when we moved in (just a few shelves), so we worked with California Closets to design a shelving system. Oh, and those blankets on the floor are a stack of blankets where the dog likes to lie -- right in front of the spice and baking cabinets! I'm constantly sliding him around to get things out of there. He's so used to it now, he hardly moves. 

IMG_2630.jpg

IMG_2631.jpg

IMG_2632.jpg

IMG_2633.jpg

IMG_2634.jpg

IMG_2636.jpg

IMG_2637.jpg

IMG_2638.jpg

• Like 13

"I come from a family where gravy is considered a beverage." -- Erma Bombeck

@ElsieD Thank you. We debate about keeping the wood floor, but when it's clean and the sun hits it, it practically glows. 

• Like 2

@lindag No, unfortunately not. It vents back into the kitchen. We rarely use it because it sounds like a jumbo jet getting ready for take off. 

1 hour ago, dhdav66 said:

@lindag No, unfortunately not. It vents back into the kitchen. We rarely use it because it sounds like a jumbo jet getting ready for take off. 

My setup is the same.  Tried every way to get a vent to the outside but no dice.

it's  the only thing about my kitchen that I don't like because it limits the way I cook due to the vapors and the smells.

I find that infuriating, especially in places where the range hood is on an outside wall and it would have been easy to do. SMH. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Yes, it is frustrating.  I was willing to do anything to get a proper hood but the range is on an inside wall in an inside room and there are bedrooms above.  It might have been possible to run a duct to the outside but the joists ran in the wrong direction.  

Maybe   in my next life.  What I do now is cook/fry the stinky stuff out on the deck when the weather is mild.

Yeah -- I would like an exterior venting fan. Not just for smells but for smoky cooking. I try to keep the stinky stuff to temperate temps when I can open the back door and the windows. Then again, we love our food, so we'll tolerate a little stinky cooking now and then for something yummy. 

• Like 2