• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 3)

mm84321

mmmm, steak

Kim: love the candied peels

tonight:

14208324962_756ff79e94_z.jpg

14024102068_bf1c407f89_z.jpg

Fiddlehead ferns, with maitake and oyster mushrooms, green garlic and poached farm egg

The ferns were simmered in lightly salted water for 8 minutes, then blanched.

Mushrooms: sautéed in unsalted butter with chopped shallots and green garlic (white parts), seasoned to taste with sea salt, black pepper and a dash of lemon juice. The ferns were added in towards the last 1-2 minutes of cooking, then plated atop a poached egg. Green garlic (green parts) and a teaspoon of extra-virgin olive oil to garnish.

14187619836_e11c37f167_z.jpg

Just a simple green salad (baby mesclun, lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, sea salt, black pepper).

14230933123_4fa49e447a_z.jpg

spinaci alla Genovese

This was such a hit the other night that I made a double batch. Leftovers will be in a sandwich tomorrow.

There's also leftover poulet à la moutarde but I'll spare you that pic...

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

ninagluck

please share !

a zillion years ago I lived in (E)spain for two years.

there were a few restaurants we went to what were by (E)Spain were expensive.  not really at that time

one was perhaps this restaurant, but 50 years ago:

https://www.google.com/search?q=edelvise+madrid&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

so you have got me thinking about paprika sauce and spätzle

F.D.:   the goulash at the above what not a soup, but a 'stew'

it came in individual oval copper 'pans'

I have 4 of these that i have not mentioned.  the pans.  not the goulash 

:cool:

so thanks for the reminder on the paprika sauce

:biggrin:

image.jpg

Finally the planets aligned and I had shrimp, garlic, olive oil and a freshly baked baguette all on hand at the same time.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Too much good food to call out in detail!

Thanks to Soba for guiding me through this delicious recipe for chicken adobo. Served with Burmese stir-fried okra and shallots. With a couple of salsas (one Hatch, one habanero), steamed jasmine rice and a cold beer, just a perfect meal for this balmy spring evening.

chicken_adobo.jpg

okra.jpg

• Like 2

I smoked a small brisket and small pork shoulder today. I didn't take any pictures.  There was about an inch and a half of grease or maybe two inches in the grease bucket I put there to catch it.  I came back a couple hours later and the grease was gone.  The bucket was even clean.  The neighbors dog must have drank it.  Charlie and the neighbor both said they saw her nosing around there.  

I smoked a small brisket and small pork shoulder today. I didn't take any pictures.  There was about an inch and a half of grease or maybe two inches in the grease bucket I put there to catch it.  I came back a couple hours later and the grease was gone.  The bucket was even clean.  The neighbors dog must have drank it.  Charlie and the neighbor both said they saw her nosing around there.  

Norm, advise your neighbor of the possibility. If their pet becomes ill they should seek veterinary attention as a large fatty meal is a risk factor for pancreatitis which can be be a very serious condition in pets.

Second cook on my new RECTEC pellet grill.  The chicken was oiled and sprinkled with rub, then cooked for 70 minutes at 450F.  Skin was crispy and the meat was tender and juicy.

rectec-chicken-whole.jpg

Served with roasted cauliflower.  It was tossed in EVO with salt, pepper and cumin, then roasted in an open pan along with the chicken for the last 25 minutes.  It had a nice smokey flavor.

rectec-chicken-plated.jpg

• Like 5

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

very interesting.  Ive never oiled a chicken first, just dried it and then added the rub for Vertical Chicken.

Ill have to give that a try next time.    do you feel more rub adheres to the bird that way ?

very interesting.  Ive never oiled a chicken first, just dried it and then added the rub for Vertical Chicken.

Ill have to give that a try next time.    do you feel more rub adheres to the bird that way ?

It does two things - primarily it helps crisp up the skin and it also helps the rub adhere.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Soba – thanks, I’ve never made them that big before – always thin little shreds – and was thrilled with the pure pink grapefruit taste.  Still haven’t ever had ramps! 

Nina – mmmmm, spätzle!  I’ve never made it myself, but I really love it.  Especially with Sauerbraten gravy poured over!

Unpopular Poet – gorgeous looking and sounding pizza!

Tonight’s pre-dinner snack:

med_gallery_3331_114_27992.jpg

Hot crab dip and baguette slices.  I’ve been craving this for a week and finally succumbed today.  Bite:

med_gallery_3331_114_110095.jpg

Dinner was chicken w/ a creamy caper sauce, roasted cauliflower and corn:

med_gallery_3331_114_225364.jpg

Oddly enough, the chicken recipe is from Sandra Lee.  I watch her for fun.  I love her particular brand of crazy.  So the other day she makes chicken breasts with a sauce made of shallot, garlic, capers, white wine, Dijon, parsley and sour cream.  The only hint of Sandra-ish crap is a sprinkling of lemon pepper on the chicken.  I actually like that stuff.  And I had everything that the recipe called for.  So…it was good.  Not fabulous, but very good and very easy.  I don’t tend to repeat recipes, unless asked.  So if Mr. Kim asks, I’ll be happy to make this again.

• Like 4

Kim -- Full disclosure -- I like Lemon Pepper as well -- I use to when I am feeling like a salad with grilled chicken breast -- something about it just works. 

No pictures from our dinner last night but I made escarole, beans and sausage.  Had all of the ingredients and it turned out nicely.  

image.jpg

Carrots steamed and then quickly sauteed with thyme and finished with lemon juice and some tiny lamb chops cooked in a small cast iron pan stove top.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Stuffed morels.

Washed, drained, dried (larger) morels; parts of the stems trimmed off.  Stuffed w/ a mixture of ricotta cheese, shaved Parmigiano Reggiano, Alziari olive oil, some Himalayan salt, chopped pine nuts, generous chopped Western chives, chopped morel stems. Brushed w/ olive oil.  Baked at ~375ºF till done.

Salad of fresh butter, green leaf & red romaine lettuces.

Tossed w/ Alziari olive oil, black pepper, salt, 10-year Modena balsamic vinegar.

Marcella Hazan tomato sauce w/ Cipriani Tagliarelle.

Made with Pomì chopped tomatoes. Butter, sliced shallots, bit of salt; shallot pieces removed after cooking.

DSCN1533a_800.jpg

DSCN1534a_800.jpg

DSCN1539a_800.jpg

DSCN1541a_800.jpg

DSCN1544a_800.jpg

• Like 9

Picked up a couple dozen Long Island littlenecks...

2014_05_18 Clams steamed.JPG

Simply pan roasted and steamed with chorizo, vermouth, garlic and parsley.

2014_05_18 Clams paella.JPG

Paella with clams and chorizo (that was my theme).

2014_05_18 Asparagus.JPG

First (for me) local asparagus.  Cooked in Combo oven.

• Like 6

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

The Asian market had some really good looking short ribs.  They had a lot of meat and marbling. They looked like they could have been prime. I got 4 lbs and son made Khalbi with them last night.  They were really good.  We had them with laver, rice and two kinds of kimchi. I grilled some baby zucchini and we also had some okra chips. 

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 1

LEAPING FROG spatchcocked grilled chicken for Banh Mi sandwiches  later tonight.

Charlie always makes Banh Mi sandwiches with pork but Cassie's sister is visiting and she does not like pork so we are going to make it with the more traditional chicken. I spatchcocked a chicken but instead of cutting out the backbone, i left the whole chicken intact and cut the breast free and rotated it in front so it looks sort of like a leaping frog. I slashed the part between the thighs and back to open it up so that part can cook faster.  That part usually is still raw when the rest of the chicken is done.  Since the vegetables in the banh mi sandwich are marinated in rice vinegar and sugar, I basted the chicken with garlic, paprika, lime juice and honey flavored olive oil.

The chicken was roasted on the closed grill with the outside burners on low and the two middle burners turned off.

DSCN1426_zpse1b9b8a7.jpgDSCN1427_zpsd5066d4f.jpgDSCN1429_zps252e96a5.jpgDSCN1431_zpsad2f8feb.jpgDSCN1438_zpsa6ebdc34.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 4