• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 3)

mm84321

Sure.

This one is modeled after the simple recipe here.  I had also previously "adjusted" that same recipe here.

• Large wild-caught Atlantic prawns/shrimp (slightly over ½ lb), shelled & deveined but tails left on; marinated/tossed w/ 1 egg white, ~½ tsp sugar, ~½ tsp salt, ~1½ -2 tbsp light soy sauce [i used Pearl River Superior].  Set aside for 20-30 minutes while doing the other stuff.

• Two medium shallots, peeled, thinly sliced.  Maybe a 1 inch length of fresh ginger, skinned, thinly sliced into thin coins.  Four or five large scallions trimmed, washed, sliced into 1½-2 inch pieces.  White rice was cooked (stovetop).

• The prawn shells/legs were simmered on low heat in a saucepan w/ a little salt, a bit of oil and some water (partly covered), tossing w/ a spatula, till it was almost dry and beginning to "crisp" and get crispy bits.§  A small amount of water was added, everything scraped around and simmered (some tossing) for a short while.  The stock was poured off, squeezing the shells w/ the spatula.  Yield about a half of a small-ish rice bowl's worth.  Shells dumped.

• The prawns (fished from the marinade) were sautéed in the same pan w/ some fresh oil, till barely done, then reserved.  The crispy bits were scraped off and added to the reserved prawns.  (The marinade left behind in the marinating bowl went down the drain. ;-) )

• A bit more oil was added, the sliced shallots & ginger went in & sautéed till the shallots were just beginning to acquire a brown edge.  Three very healthy squeezes of Heinz "Simply Heinz" tomato ketchup went in and the mix was sautéed on medium-high heat till the mix/ketchup was just beginning to brown and turn dry-ish, then the reserved prawn stock poured in and the mixture stirred well still on medium-high heat for a minute or so.

• The reserved prawns and scrapings then went in and were tossed around, followed by the trimmed scallions.  Everything was stirred/tossed till warmed/heated through plus a wee, wee bit more.

Serve.

"Prawn/Shrimp" is interchangeable in the culinary sense, of course, and "shrimp" is more widely used in the US.  Technically these were prawns, with the 2nd shell segment overlapping only the 3rd shell segment on the abdomen.

§ I've done this w/ the heads as well before for this dish, where the tomalley gave a big additional "oomph" (and color) to the shrimpy taste.

Thanks so much. Now to source some decent shell-on shrimp/prawns. (I once argued with a fish-store-owner that shrimp and prawn were distinct species but he would not accept that so I am delighted to see you point that out.)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna N, you're welcome.  Hope you like it when you do it if you do it.

I have no doubt I will do it. And I will report back when I do

When you live alone even a small chicken can take on the dimensions of an elephant seeming to be endlessly there. There are countless ways to dress up leftovers but in the end it is still chicken.image.jpg

Curried chicken salad.

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

AnnaN :  try this  I do it all the time:

save the skin   chop finely.  cook up some rice.  a make some 'stock' Ck, etc you decide.  flavor that stock

a drop or two of Redboat, a drop of Liquid smoke etc  thicken a bit

add the chicken  etc    the add that to the cooked rice  mix

eat hot w other fixings.

I do this all the time w my left over BBQ Vertical Chickens.

cool the rest   excellent cold.

AnnaN :  try this  I do it all the time:

save the skin   chop finely.  cook up some rice.  a make some 'stock' Ck, etc you decide.  flavor that stock

a drop or two of Redboat, a drop of Liquid smoke etc  thicken a bit

add the chicken  etc    the add that to the cooked rice  mix

eat hot w other fixings.

I do this all the time w my left over BBQ Vertical Chickens.

cool the rest   excellent cold.

Thank you, rotuts. I do similar things. I'm not short of ideas. Eventually, however, leftover fatigue sets in. I generally try to avoid cooking large cuts of anything but once in a while a craving overcomes common sense.

My 2004 eG Blog

I follow my Mom's method with "kare jup ha" by silkening the shrimp (seasonings, oil, cornstarch). Heinz Ketsup was also used. The cornstarch on the shrimp produces a silky texture as well as thickening the sauce. I love lots of green onion or chives in my portion. Must have with this dish?  - LOTS of rice! The same goes for Tomato Egg stir-fy although I add beef to mine, again, a la my Mom. :wub:

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I've been spending my Sunday afternoons teaching an exercise program called Drums Alive! to seniors. Throw together meals have been the norm the last few Sundays, but I took the time yesterday and put some lamb shanks to braise with Middle Eastern spices. Put this in the oven before class at 2 and enjoyed with lots of rice at 6.

LambShanksMiddlesEasternSpices1347.jpg

This was followed by the first rhubarb pie (never strawberries in the first one) of the season!

SliceOfRhubbarbPie1350.jpg

• Like 7

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I particularly enjoy 'leftovers' that have been designed to be spectacular, preferably both cold and hot.

seasoning adjusted for the cold version, of course.

Ah but that's a whole new ketlle of fish! A cusine in its own right. Crosses borders and frontiers. Bubble and squeak, fried rice, etc.

My 2004 eG Blog

I picked up a very fresh mackerel (as in still alive) this morning. Took it home, sent it to fish heaven, then filleted and grilled it.  Served with rice and a salad of thin asparagus, tomato and shallots with an olive oil lime dressing and a sprinkling of shichimi togarishi (Japanese seven spice powder).

mackerel asparagus salad and rice.jpg

asparagus salad 2.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Happy June, everyone!

The usual salad

photo 5.JPG

The best cornbread I've ever made.  Peppers and sharp cheddar cheese are nestled in there.  The cheese is cut into small squares so that you get gooey, cheesy pockets of yumminess when you bite in.

photo 1.JPG

Steamed asparagus from the garden....I think it's about done for the year.  Which is ok...I'm kind of asparagused out.

photo 2.JPG

Venison fried steaks

photo 3.JPG

Plated with the must-have taters

photo 4.JPG

• Like 8

Shelby, as a rule I think cornbread is overrated, but your version just might make me change my mind.  Beautiful!  (So is the rest of it, but I'd expect to like the rest of it....)  :smile:

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Shelby, as a rule I think cornbread is overrated, but your version just might make me change my mind.  Beautiful!  (So is the rest of it, but I'd expect to like the rest of it....)  :smile:

I get a craving for cornbread maybe twice a year.....and when I do, I'm usually disappointed in myself.   It's never moist enough.  I don't care for the sweet version, I like the savory.  This recipe has you put most of the cheese chunks and peppers in the batter, but you reserve some and press them on top.  That, along with pre-heating the cast iron skillet in the oven with bacon grease before you pour ( or rather scoop and spread because it's thick ) the batter in makes this recipe a keeper.   Heating the pan with the grease in it browns the bottom a bit.

Now I want to make another batch :)

Savory cornbread:  that might be the ticket.  I usually think it's too sweet, too.  Is it a recipe you can share?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

14355231863_e888688d56_z.jpg

14148378069_d73882a619_z.jpg

Cockles, Japanese turnips, fiddlehead ferns, pickled ramps.

Cockles: steamed in a bath of 1:1 white wine and water for 10 minutes.

Turnips/ferns: simmered in lightly salted water, then blanched, then tossed in melted unsalted butter along with 2 tablespoons ramp greens; seasoned with sea salt, black pepper and minced chives.

The ramps were pickled in kumquat vinegar (a jar of kumquats in the fridge that have been sitting in cardamom-infused white wine vinegar for a couple of months now).

14148543937_74eeafdf12_z.jpg

14148543537_e4b56d476d_z.jpg

Chickpeas with cremini mushrooms and turnip greens

Mushrooms: sliced cremini and shiitake mushrooms sautéed in unsalted butter with chopped garlic, seasoned with sea salt, black pepper and thyme

Turnip greens: simmered in lightly salted water, then chopped coarsely and cooked in olive oil with chopped onion and canned chickpeas; seasoned with sea salt, black pepper, chopped parsley and lemon juice; added the mushrooms, then stirred in a tablespoon of tomato chutney.

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)
  • Like 4

A few more of our recent dinners.

Grilled%20Prime%20Rib%20June%201st%2C%20

Small Sterling Silver Prime Rib, just big enough for two to share.  Presalted for 24 hours and then uncovered and left to air dry in the fridge for 12 hours before grilling.

Grilled%20Asian%20Chicken%20Legs%20June%

Asian style - Grilled chicken legs with garlic ginger rice and a stir fry with bean sprouts.

Grilled%20Pork%20Tenderloin%20May%2030th

Grilled Pork Tenderloin, roasted potatoes and stacked Greek Salad.

• Like 4