• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lisa Shock

"Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Bread"

Thank you for the correction  on the e-book subscription service it's a great service and I hope that Modernist Cuisine decides to use it again going forward 

Mike Macdonald Calgary

It's up for preorder on Amazon, estimated release May 30, 2017. Now it has 5% discount on the .com, 33% on the .ca.

Teo

Edited by teonzo corrected the link (log)

Teo

3 minutes ago, rotuts said:

wow

600 USD's for 5 vol + for bread.

I am sure that the price will drop to around 400 dollars but it still a lot of dough :D.

I don't need Modernist Bread.  I hardly bake.  I make awesome bread from Ken Forkish book.

I could use Modernist Bread.  May be I can bake more. 

I kinda want Modernist Bread.  What if all my eGullet friends have one and I don't?  What will we have in common?

I want Modernist Bread.  It will look nice next to my (well used) copy of Modernist Cuisine. 

I am dying to buy Modernist Bread.

Damn you eGullet.

• Like 9

I agree

i did some baking    Id like to start again.

however  , don't drool.   just Bake.

after all , there will be    for sure  Modernist Baking at Home.   97 USD.  or less.

• Like 1

rats.    I hope they've figured out how to make crusty sourdough rolls / baguettes in the microwave.

I'd get it just for that Rx

or better yet : you could PM me the Rx when you get your Tomes.

bet they use a Combi-Oven

just saying.

• Like 1

I preordered it - hopefully amazon's price will drop a little, and it's risky getting 1st edition but that's what pencil and errata is for :)

This is very tempting, even if I already have two or three dozen books specifically on bread.  However, I plan to sit it out and wait to see what the verdict is when it comes out.  Being a traditionalist, I'm always a bit suspicious about anything modernist.  :D

• Like 1

I noticed this today in the Wall Street Journal:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-2-000-plus-page-cookbook-is-upending-the-science-of-bread-making-1474986727

Was particularly taken by the purported novel method of fixing over-proofed bread dough.  My nemesis.  Only a few months to find out and worth the admission price.

Hope it involves a rotor stator homogenizer.

• Like 1

Ill look for this.   nice to see they are still cutting things in half.

date of article was Sept 27

did you get a hard copy ?

maybe it will be in the weekend magazine.

guess I better start saving now  even though im not much of a baker.

Odd:

Modernist Baking Amazon  USA  vs CA :

USA      $ 593    list    625     USD

CAN     $ 532     list    810     CDN

Just to Review :

in Canada  , you can get MC Bread for  532 Loonies

Tx to USD  :  $ 402.93

suprise.gif

In the Past , Vast fortunes were made transporting stuff from Canada to the USA  

think  Boardwalk Empire  , and Joe Kennedy

I can see a niche here , a small one  , lets way around Buffalo NY ?

one would need a nondescript Van  with very good shocks :

""  What's  in the Van ?  ""  USA customs asks  

" Paper Products  "

That's a strange anomaly...it's almost as if they calculated the exchange rate backwards on the Canadian price, and marked it down instead of up. 

• Like 1

"The only questions that really matter are the ones you ask yourself."

Ursula K. Le Guin

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

its possible

Buy Canadienne  !

or find a Friend N of the Border !

On 9/27/2016 at 10:26 AM, Cyberider said:

I'm always a bit suspicious about anything modernist.  :D

Beethoven, my man!

• Like 1

My 2017 Modernist Bread calendar has come.  It is packed with factoids and useful tips:

Most of the air in a loaf of bread is trapped in one large meandering pore.  Do not apply charcoal powder close to an overhead air conditioning duct.

Can't wait for the book.

• Like 1

Rats.   Im trying very hard to resist.  

Im helped by the fact that  Our Friends  N. of the Boarder can get the book for  ~ 400 USD  and Us  S. of the Border are required to pay 593 USD.

which causes ' Heart Burn " etc.

That's a definite anomaly. Typically Canadian book prices are about 30% higher than US prices. 

"The only questions that really matter are the ones you ask yourself."

Ursula K. Le Guin

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

could be a small , but nice smuggling opportunity  

not quite so good as Canadian Club during prohibition  ....

but then you would not have to deal with Joe Kennedy.

just saying

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rotuts said:

could be a small , but nice smuggling opportunity  

not quite so good as Canadian Club during prohibition  ....

but then you would not have to deal with Joe Kennedy.

just saying

We are grateful for small mercies.

• Like 1

International price differences for books can be tremendous, especially for used books. I have no idea why it happens, but when it does, I'm flabbergasted. I'd been looking for an out of print academic book (non-cooking) for several months, but all the used copies available on US Amazon / Abebooks / eBay were $500+. The other day I decided to check Canadian Amazon and, lo and behold, there was a copy available for $15. The staggering thing was that the exact same copy of the exact same book from the exact same seller was $505 on US Amazon and eBay! I bought it without hesitation, using Canadian Amazon to buy from the US seller. Pricing algorithms run amok? 

• Like 2

• Similar Content

• By Pastrypastmidnight
      So I tried my hand at croissants for the first time in about 5 years. I used the recipe from the Bouchon Bakery cookbook. Despite the fact that I really struggled rolling them out (the dough was very stiff and resisted rolling), tore the dough layer in small patches quite a bit on the last turn, and probably took too long letting the butter get too warm, I got nice layers on the outside and on the interior and they did shatter nicely on the outside. I did not get that beautiful open honeycomb interior, however. 

I’d love any tips or feedback or advice anyone could offer to do better next time—thanks!

• By kostbill
      Hello.
      I would like to buy some pectinex ultra sp-l.
      However I am worried about the temperature during the shipping time.
      I read that the storage temperature should be between 2 and 8 C. It works best from 15 to 50 C, and if it stays a lot of time in 25 C, it will gradually be deactivated.

It needs a week to come here (Greece), then will it affect its abilities?

Do you know if I can find a document somewhere that explains the gradual loss of power as a function of time and temperature?
      Did you have any experience with pectinex not working well due to bad storage?

Thanks.
    • By Galchic
      Hello, folks, thanks for reading.

My husband thinks, I should start selling my popcorn seasonings (which I make for my family), it’s a good product. But I'm not sure if it’s interesting to other people... So, what do you think, guys?

Our story: 
      We’ve bought an air popper machine, but popcorn came out pretty tasteless. Then, we’ve bought different “popcorn seasoning” mixes... But it always ends with all the seasoning at the bottom of the bowl. Then, we've added butter, oil and so on before seasoning...  we got soggy, chewy popcorn. Lot’s of disappointments…

When we almost gave up… the magic happened! I figured out the way to make seasonings that:
      Stick to popcorn, but not sticky to fingers (or T-shirt  , Easy to apply, May be pre cooked in bulk and stored… And popcorn appears crunchy, tasty, thoroughly covered with seasoning.  
      Sounds good, yep? Now, when I want to treat myself  - I only need 2 mins to turn tasteless popped popcorn to a real treat.  
      The only moment - it request 1 extra effort: after you toss it over popcorn, you need to microwave it for 1 min, and stir after.

So, I was wondering, if you like popcorn like myself - would this seasoning be interesting for you to purchase? Are you ready for a little extra work (microwave & stir) in the goal to flavor popcorn, or it feels too much effort?

As I have no experience in manufacturing and retail, your answers would help me to make a very important decision - to dive in or not... 

Thanks in advance for your answers, it means the world to me.

• By curls
      So, what is everyone doing for the pastry & baking side of Easter?

I'm working on the following chocolates: fruit & nut eggs, hollow bunnies, Jelly Belly filled bunnies, coconut bunnies, dragons (filled with rice krispies & chocolate), peanut butter hedgehogs, and malted milk hens. Hoping to finish my dark chocolate production today and get started on all my milk chocolate items.

My father-in-law will be baking the traditional family Easter bread a day or two before Easter. Its an enriched bread and he makes two versions -- one with raisins and one without (I prefer the one with raisins).

And I was lucky enough to spot this couple in the sale moulds stock at last year's eGullet chocolate & confections workshop in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario. These love bunnies help so very much with Easter chocolate production!  ;-)

• By boilsover
      It's bad enough correcting common zombie cookware misconceptions.  But when a legitimate food expert like Mark Bittman spouts complete nonsense about all tinned cookware containing lead, it's downright dismaying.  Likewise when salespeople and companies tell that eternal doozer:  "Cast iron heats evenly."

The winner for 2019--so far--however, has to be Florence Fabricant, New York Times columnist and author of 12 cookbooks.  In her January 22, 2019 issue of her column "Front Burner", Ms. Fabricant gushes over the carbon steel skillet made by Made In.  Among other reasons to recommend it:

"It’s a good conductor (it can be used on an induction cooktop) and has heft..."

What?  Surely Fabricant knows carbon steel, like any steel, is not only *not* a good conductor, it's a *terrible* one.   In fact it's the worst metal pans are made of.  If she doesn't, she needs to take a remedial physics course.

And perhaps she was under a deadline to push this out, but what gives with the non sequitur explanatory parenthetical?  Does she really believe that good conductivity and induction compatibility are the same or even closely related?

Doubtless, someone, somewhere has already taken this nonsense for Gospel and spread it around.  "Oh, boy!  I can't wait for my new conductive steel skillet to be delivered!" 
      Do you see, Larry?  Do you see what happens when you make stuff up?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/22/dining/made-in-carbon-steel-skillet.html