• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Lisa Shock

"Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Bread"

The team over at Modernist Cuisine announced today that their next project will be an in-depth exploration of bread. I personally am very excited about this, I had been hoping their next project would be in the baking and pastry realm. Additionally, Francisco Migoya will be head chef and Peter Reinhart will assignments editor for this project which is expected to be a multi-volume affair.

• Like 2

I think that depends on how you define "modernist": in many respects bakers and pastry chefs have always been the most "modernist" of chefs in terms of their approach to the craft. They may not use a lot of whiz-bang ingredients, but I think the thought process is definitely the same, with lots of careful analysis and testing.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Anna N   

Now this is exciting news! I just hope they keep it approachable by home bakers.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

slkinsey   

I hope, hope, hope there is an extensive section on sourdough microbiology and techniques.

• Like 4

Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

Smithy   

I hope, hope, hope there is an extensive section on sourdough microbiology and techniques.

Oh, that would make it well worth the price of admission.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

fvandrog   

I think sourdough microbiology is highly interesting, but region, climate, season etc. make a lot of difference. For those near Seattle, a tome on their local sourdough microbiology might be interesting I have a hard time seeing such a work being of general interest. I'd love to be surprised, however.

I'd personally be pretty surprised if they didn't cover it, for just that reason: I'd love to see some science behind all the sourdough mythology. I know Sam has posted quite a bit, but it would be great to see it in print.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

rotuts   

Im looking forward to this as many are.   I have not baked in a bit.

the two 'Baker Chefs' mentioned in the blurb have a lot of insight.

the blurb from MC really talks about Bread.

I do hope that they include Patisserie .

but that's its own world.

CKatCook   

OH man...I am so going to have to get this.

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

chefmd   

I am so excited about this book.  Just starting to venture into baking, so far mastered Ken Forkish bread recipe with amazing results (Ken's achievement, not mine).  I am sure there is so much I can learn and try from MC team.  I would totally pre order if that was an option.  Still remember painful wait for original MC volumes.

It's fantastic to get feedback like this. It's still fairly early in the project so we're in the early stages of researching, planning, and determining what we will cover, however we very much welcome feedback about bread-related topics that interest the community. 

Caren Palevitz

Online Writer for Modernist Cuisine

rotuts   

will it be exclusively Bread ?

any patisserie ?  please do not leave that out .

many thanks

Bojana   

Both bread and patisserie are fantastic topics, i would love to see both. In patisserei perhaps trying to find the hacks that make some difficult or time consuming preparations more doable?

One topic that I would like to see covered is the effects of alternate, plant-based 'milks' on breads and cakes. I see people telling others to just substitute soymilk, almond milk, rice milk, etc. for cow's milk in recipes and I wonder if they provide the same dough conditioning features as cow's milk.

• Like 1

For myself I hope they stick to wheat, water, yeast, and salt.  Surely nathanm and the team can get at least five volumes out of four ingredients.

If so I'll buy it.

AnneN   

On their website, it says 2016.

Anne Napolitano

Chef On Call

"Great cooking doesn't come from breaking with tradition but taking it in new directions-evolution rather that revolution." Heston Blumenthal

• Similar Content

• By chriswrightcycles
      Good afternoon everyone!

I currently own a MiniPack MVS31x chamber style vacuum sealer and am wondering if a Polycience vacuum canister will work in my machine? The intended use is for making a larger batch of aerated mousse. 
    • By Manav
      Any tips on previous interesting threads and FAQs will be helpful

• By boombonniewhale
      Hello! I was wondering if anyone on here has tried using an induction cooktop with confection making (caramels, fondant, marshmallows ect...). My stove has literally three settings, and the low setting still burns sugar and there is no such thing as maintaining any sort of "simmer". I was looking into getting a cooktop and buying some copper sugar pots and mauviel makes this thing that goes inbetween. I would love to hear any input into this idea or your experiences!

~Sarah
    • By oferl
      Hi :-) Bought 1.7Kg pork chunk, might be a bit of weird cutting, seems like a rack of pork chops caught between V shaped in bones.
      Would like to sous vide it whole without further cutting to single steaks and would be glad to get a direction for temp and time, from what i've seen 60-62C 
      area might be great to keep it juicy but i'm lost with the time, as it is a big chunk and not single steaks.. Thanks !   
    • By Kitchenista
      At this time of year when you can hoard fresh, local strawberries because they are so abundant, why not freeze them and enjoy them all year long. Then you won't have to buy tasteless, fake looking ones in the dead of winter!

The best way to preserve them, sugar-free, and have them fresh, year-round is to freeze them. Remember to start with the freshest strawberries possible. Strawberries start to lose freshness and nutrients quickly and will only last a few days in the fridge, so the sooner you freeze them the better. Follow these steps and they will last up to a year in the freezer:
      1. Gently wash them and pat them dry or allow them to air dry for an hour or so. Slice off the tops, including the stem and any white area, then cut them in half lengthwise.
      2. Line one or more rimmed baking sheets (depending on how many berries you have) with parchment or SilPats. Arrange them in a single layer on the sheets. and place them, uncovered, or loosely covered with plastic wrap in the freezer. Allow them to freeze solid, about 12 hours. Once frozen, transfer the berries (they may stick to the parchment a bit, but peel off relatively easy) to a freezer weight plastic zipper bag. Press out as much of the air from the bag as possible before sealing, to minimize freezer burn over time. If you are planning to leave them in the freezer for months, then consider double bagging them. Place the bagged berries in the freezer, where they will keep for up to one year.
      Note: I will warn you that the thawed berries will not be firm and bright like they were when raw and fresh. They tend to thaw out a bit mushier, and slightly darker…but can still be used for anything you would use fresh strawberries for. For smoothies, use frozen.
      Optional: Brushing the berries with a bit of lemon juice before you freeze them will help to preserve their color. While strawberries can be frozen whole, cut or crushed, they will retain a higher level of their vitamin C content if left whole.