• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Soup Topic (2013–)

FrogPrincesse

So the Bean and Bacon soup is under way in a crock-pot, just for the heck of it.  Went to the Rachel Cooks site to read the notes and learned that dried Cannellini beans must be boiled for a least 1/2 hour to kill the toxic lectins in them.  Who knew?

Also Ed cooked 8 oz of bacon for me to use in the soup...he was repackaging bacon today so I asked him to cook the bacon.  Well, 8 oz of bacon from Costco gave me exactly 3.4 oz of cooked bacon.  Now that was a shock.

I'm using dried Great Northern beans so I'll report back. 

I love bean soup beyond sense I think.  And I'm having already cooked mixed beans with Puerco Pibil shreds soup for supper, a kind of a no-name whatever was on hand soup.   I guess I could add...as many of them are.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

4 hours ago, Darienne said:

So the Bean and Bacon soup is under way in a crock-pot, just for the heck of it.  Went to the Rachel Cooks site to read the notes and learned that dried Cannellini beans must be boiled for a least 1/2 hour to kill the toxic lectins in them.  Who knew?

Also Ed cooked 8 oz of bacon for me to use in the soup...he was repackaging bacon today so I asked him to cook the bacon.  Well, 8 oz of bacon from Costco gave me exactly 3.4 oz of cooked bacon.  Now that was a shock.

I'm using dried Great Northern beans so I'll report back. 

I love bean soup beyond sense I think.  And I'm having already cooked mixed beans with Puerco Pibil shreds soup for supper, a kind of a no-name whatever was on hand soup.   I guess I could add...as many of them are.    

I'm making soup today with greaat northern beans, celery, carrot, onion and the ham bone from Thanksgiving. We'll have to compare notes!

• Like 1

The soup is done and I do think it's quite good.  Of course it's been so many decades since I last tasted Campbell's Bean and Bacon, I really couldn't say whether it tasted like it or not.   

I did it in the crock-pot as noted and next time I would do a couple of things differently.  For one thing, it needed more salt, but that's OK.  I added it at the end.  But I would not again put the bacon into the mixture for the entire cooking time...and I did mine on high because I started too late to do it on low.  The bacon lost some/much/? of it 'baconess' and also I realized that I did not want to purée it.  So I fished the pieces out as I went along.  

The end result was quite satisfying.  Ed thought so too.  Thanks again, @lindag.

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Oh, I could add that I sent the celery, carrots and onions through the large grater holes on the Cuisinart food processor attachment.  And that worked out just fine.  And I forgot the bay leaves.  

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Kicked off soup season with a simple butternut squash soup, used 1/2 can of coconut milk I had in the freezer, along with chicken stock. Minced red onion, ginger, and spices. The squash was incredibly sweet, I halved/roasted it first.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

On 10/13/2023 at 1:03 PM, Darienne said:

Made the Bean and Bacon soup again today.  Without the bacon.  Dumped a large spoonful of bacon fat into the soup for taste and at the end, after pureeing half the soup, I added chopped shredded pork.  Very nice.  On the other hand, the shredded pork was basically under-spiced (lazy!!!), unlike my usual Puerco Pibil shredded pork.  

I think I prefer the bits of bacon to the bits of pork, but in true Canadian sense I will soldier on and eat the soup with pork in it.  

• Like 4

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 hour ago, lindag said:

And I'm making your Roasted Tomato Basil Soup again on Tuesday when our weather will become wintry!  Loved that soup.

Lucky you if you have decent tomatoes.  Our tomato season is long gone.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Soup has a season? Not in Chateau Liuzhou!

I see people express that "season"  here re soups and stews as weather cools, esp hearty ones.. Not my way of eating but common.

13 hours ago, heidih said:

I see people express that "season"  here re soups and stews as weather cools, esp hearty ones.. Not my way of eating but common.

Soup has no season with the McAuleys either.  Soup is our every second night supper pretty much.  And that's supper=soup and maybe a piece of bread and butter.  And all the soups are homemade.  

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

16 hours ago, liuzhou said:

This article ranks high among things I wish I didn't know. Red Mullet must  be delicious. I've never had it, but have always noted that all good recipes for bouillabaisse require it. The Romans were a sick bunch. Watching a fish die at the dinner table for fun? No thanks.  

• Like 1

I'm somewhat in the seasonal camp. Here in the Bay Area summers are unpredictable. Sometimes there's a heat wave and it takes a couple of days to gather the ingredients for gazpacho. If you want the weather to cool down, you make gazpacho for dinner. By four in the afternoon the fog comes rolling in and the temperature plummets. Like clockwork. 

A few days ago I made my first soup of the season. Continuing my attempt to shovel in dark leafy greens it was a pureed soup of chard, spinach and potato. Very green it was. I like mine with toasted garlic croutons and a flurry of chives. It's time to stock up the freezer again: ham broth, chicken broth and veg broth. 

• Like 4

Made this easy Chicken Taco Soup recipe for dinner last night and really enjoyed it. Used the last of my best chile powder in it, so must get more of that. Also used Rancho Gordo black beans and some homemade chicken stock. 

https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-chicken-taco-soup-248133

My husband didn't want any toppings while I put a bit of cheese on mine. 

PXL_20231029_020127666.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.1095d022b13075b784ce18fcc5cfb2f3.jpg

PXL_20231029_020413992.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.5501bf08c12eb9d32dae8f64336960ed.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

I made up a batch of gazpacho yesterday. Tomatoes, cucumber (half), sweet peppers, onion, garlic and some Thai chilis for a touch of heat.

I use Kenji's method of adding some salt and sugar to the chopped vegetables and leave sit for 45 minutes to draw out the liquid. I also separate the seeds and gel in a separate bowl, treat them the same, and recover all the gel and liquid sans seeds by passing through a sieve. Add seasoning (pepper, herbs, smoked paprika), olive oil and red wine vinegar. Process with stick blender, cover, refrigerate overnight for the flavours to meld and to check the seasoning at the proper serving temperature. Yield was a tad over two liters. Freezes well.

I don't add any bread and I do leave the tomato skins (sorry @Shelby).

DSCN1333.thumb.JPG.47f55163b67ef08a076fd81ef172a6fb.JPGDSCN1334.thumb.JPG.831de2afcdb038150fd02755a822f39b.JPG

Edited by Senior Sea Kayaker (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Poblano_crema_202310.thumb.jpg.6265c35042cfb11a2a00683069056635.jpg

Crema de chile Poblano, loosely based on a recipe in Susana Trilling's Oaxacan cookbook 'Seasons of My Heart'. This was absolutely delicious.

Slowly saute white onion and garlic in a generous amount of butter, add roasted and peeled Poblano chiles, and cook until softened. Simmer with turkey broth, half-and-half, Mexican oregano, thyme, S&P, and a bay leaf. Cool, puree, and serve with crumbled feta cheese and pistachios.

It surely did not hurt that the Poblano chiles were huge, meaty, gorgeous, and packed with flavor.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 4

1 hour ago, C. sapidus said:

Poblano_crema_202310.thumb.jpg.6265c35042cfb11a2a00683069056635.jpg

Crema de chile Poblano, loosely based on a recipe in Susana Trilling's Oaxacan cookbook 'Seasons of My Heart'. This was absolutely delicious.

Slowly saute white onion and garlic in a generous amount of butter, add roasted and peeled Poblano chiles, and cook until softened. Simmer with turkey broth, half-and-half, Mexican oregano, thyme, S&P, and a bay leaf. Cool, puree, and serve with crumbled feta cheese and pistachios.

It surely did not hurt that the Poblano chiles were huge, meaty, gorgeous, and packed with flavor.

Oh yes!!! and while our imported Poblanos in darkest Ontario are never huge, meaty and gorgeous, I do happen to have rather a large amount of recently gifted Poblanos from Toronto friends roasted into Rajas sitting in my freezer.  

• Delicious 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Turkey escarole soup, sautéed onions, garlic, turkey broth was from the bones of a breast I had roasted.  Added fideos , a tsp. of onion chili crisp, followed by a small spoonful of pistachio pesto at table….grated cheese, of course.

IMG_4978.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Both poblanos and escarole are unavailable locally so I can only enjoy those soups vicariously.

Last weekend's soup: Chicken, minus the legs which were reserved for roasting, and the freezer chicken trim bag contents, poached with carrot, celery, onion, garlic and seasoning. Breast meat removed and carcass returned to pot. Stock filtered, chilled and defatted.

Soup started with onion, celery, garlic, carrots, bell peppers, herbs and a parmesan rind. Mixed garden greens and at the end the reserved breast meat.

This serving with cheese and spinach ravioli and yogurt with blueberries and chia seed for dessert.

DSCN1374.JPG

DSCN1380.JPG

Edited by Senior Sea Kayaker (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 3

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

I'd planned roast broccoli salad but took a look yesterday and = not perky. It is quite cool, so soup. Onion, garlic, touch butter, water, chopped broccoli, chicken powder, black pepper, water. Simmered til quite tender, added hot mustard and handful frozen peas. Stick blendered to pretty smooth. Stirred in big dollop of yogurt. Satisying and nice to have when you just want something tasty and warming. Image is what remains to be eaten as desired. Dashes of hot sauce at service.

IMG_1999.jpg

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 7

Moroccan harira soup. 

D576263F-5371-49DB-8678-A4AA4EFF2B6B_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.e27cb939324785ba2b2c54222fc5cdbb.jpeg

A vegetarian version from a recipe in Zingerman's Bakehouse Celebrate Every Day with Za'atar flatbreads from the same book. The soup recipe is available online at this link.

Had a bowl for lunch yesterday and another for breakfast this morning!

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add link (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1