Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Soup Topic (2013–)


FrogPrincesse
 Share

Recommended Posts

I saved a couple of recipes for lettuce soup in the interest of using up past their prime salad greens. Made one today which included romaine, peas (to use up some frozen peas) and potatoes to thicken. Put some celery tops in for good measure. Not at all photogenic, when DH asked what kind of soup I was making, I said “green”, but I think the color would more charitably be called “khaki”. It’s tasty enough, if a bit plain...would benefit from some salty/crunchy garnish (bacon comes to mind, but we don’t eat it).

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

It’s tasty enough, if a bit plain...would benefit from some salty/crunchy garnish (bacon comes to mind, but we don’t eat it).

The joy and fun of playing with various croutons or cheese toast alongside. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, heidih said:

The joy and fun of playing with various croutons or cheese toast alongside. 

 

Last night I made croutons from Kenji's The Food Lab for a caesar salad.  These croutons would go very well with soup.  And probably will.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We wound up eating it with leftover/reheated white clam pizza, which brought salty, cheesy, crunchy to the table.

  • Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/26/2020 at 12:38 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My first blender soup!  Inspired by a recipe I found on the Vita-mix website:

https://www.vitamix.com/us/en_us/recipes/beetroot-tomato-macadamia-nut-soup

 

I used chicken stock instead of water, and I added a red onion and a garlic clove.  Having no macadamia nuts I substituted red walnuts.  Vita-mix calls for cutting the beets in half but I am lazy and I have a good blender.  I simply threw the stuff in whole and pushed the soup button.

 

Soup12262020.png

 

 

Possibly the best soup I have made.

 

Jo, I was excited to make this soup.  Unfortunately my beets had gone around the block a few too many times so it turned out less than great.  I’ll give another go when I have some nice, fresh beets.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, lindag said:

Jo, I was excited to make this soup.  Unfortunately my beets had gone around the block a few too many times so it turned out less than great.  I’ll give another go when I have some nice, fresh beets.

 

Sorry to hear.  What went wrong?  Was it just the flavor of the less than perfect beets or was it a problem with the texture?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

 

Sorry to hear.  What went wrong?  Was it just the flavor of the less than perfect beets or was it a problem with the texture?

 

I just think the beets were too old.  The cooking liquid when I steamed them, was brownish rather than red.  And they had a stronger smell than usual.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, lindag said:

I just think the beets were too old.  The cooking liquid when I steamed them, was brownish rather than red.  And they had a stronger smell than usual.

 

When I made my beet soup I didn't pre-cook anything.  I just added the raw, whole vegetables to the blender and blended on the soup cycle.

 

I have more beets and plan to make this again some night soon.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, BeeZee said:

We wound up eating it with leftover/reheated white clam pizza, which brought salty, cheesy, crunchy to the table.


As a soup ?!?!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Duvel said:


As a soup ?!?!

Pizza on a separate plate, crispy/salty bites to break the monotony of the soup!

  • Haha 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Small butternut squash, apple on its last legs, a giant shallot, red lentils, curry powder, chicken stock. Sauteed the shallot to soften, simmered everything until soft and pureed. The lentils add nice body. No photo, its orange🙂

  • Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

French onion. Croutons with Gruyere. Served with salad (lettuce, pear) and a nice mellow Cabernet Sauvignon.

I don't broil the cheese over the soup, since I really don't like the resulting soggy croutons. In prefer to make the croutons separately and add them while eating. I flavor them with a bit of thyme and pepper.

 

 

PXL_20210108_192456095.jpg

  • Like 8
  • Delicious 3

~ Shai N.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, shain said:

French onion. Croutons with Gruyere. Served with salad (lettuce, pear) and a nice mellow Cabernet Sauvignon.

I don't broil the cheese over the soup, since I really don't like the resulting soggy croutons. In prefer to make the croutons separately and add them while eating. I flavor them with a bit of thyme and pepper.

 

 

PXL_20210108_192456095.jpg

That is beautiful.  Simply beautiful.  Oh, how I wish....

  • Thanks 1

Darienne

 

learn, learn, learn...

 

Life in the Meadows and Rivers

Cheers & Chocolates

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Darienne said:

That is beautiful.  Simply beautiful.  Oh, how I wish....

 

You are too kind ☺️ I think that the traditional method of broiling the cheese on the soup is more dramatic and enticing.

  • Like 1

~ Shai N.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, shain said:

 

You are too kind ☺️ I think that the traditional method of broiling the cheese on the soup is more dramatic and enticing.

I would really miss peeling off toasted cheese tears that creep down the side of the bowl!    Peeling those off and eating them gives me something to do while the soup cools just enough. Nevertheless, your soup does look beautiful. 

  • Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

I would really miss peeling off toasted cheese tears that creep down the side of the bowl!    Peeling those off and eating them gives me something to do while the soup cools just enough. Nevertheless, your soup does look beautiful. 

 

When the soup is not broiled, it is just hot enough to eat - no waiting needed :P (though I do enjoy peeling and eating toasted cheese bits)

  • Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I want to make some nice New England clam chowder.

I've tried many many recipes - from books / on-line - none have ever impressed.  good, yes.  stellar . . . no

 

any tried&true recipes?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

I want to make some nice New England clam chowder.

I've tried many many recipes - from books / on-line - none have ever impressed.  good, yes.  stellar . . . no

 

any tried&true recipes?

I swear by the Manhattan clam chowder of Jasper White. I'm not a fan of New England style, but I would trust his recipe for it. Easy to find on line.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

I want to make some nice New England clam chowder.

I've tried many many recipes - from books / on-line - none have ever impressed.  good, yes.  stellar . . . no

 

any tried&true recipes?

I trust @johnnyd  https://forums.egullet.org/topic/73102-eg-foodblog-johnnyd-dining-downeast/?do=findComment&comment=999359  I prefer  seafood forward kind of light broth and some texture.l which he does well.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, heidih said:

I trust @johnnyd  https://forums.egullet.org/topic/73102-eg-foodblog-johnnyd-dining-downeast/?do=findComment&comment=999359  I prefer  seafood forward kind of light broth and some texture.l which he does well.

 

That's about what I recognize as a "proper" chowder (ie, the way I make it). :P

I don't always have lobster stock on hand, but shrimp shell stock works. I'll also use the racks from white fish for stock, but seldom get them anymore now that I'm cooking for just two. In a pinch I'll just cheat and use clam nectar (prepared fish stock has only *just* become available where I live, and I expect I'll probably use that at some point as well. Whatever works...).

I also fall into the "no cream" camp (it adds richness but mutes flavor) and the "brothy" camp (I detest the gluey, over-thickened kind served now at most restaurants). I usually add a pinch of summer savory to mine, but that's a Maritimer thing.

  • Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...