• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

Penang Chicken curry.JPG

Penang chicken curry with straw mushrooms. No Thai basil to be had at the moment and I did not plant any this year - damn.

How in the world did you chiffonade that lime leaf so finely?

After a month's travelling in Lebanon and Georgia, I attempted to make some Georgian food:

539757_796999090641_1003426739_n.jpg

Grilled branzino with pomegranate herb sauce, khachapuri (ubiquitous Georgian cheese bread), ubiquitous Georgian tomato-cucumber salad, spinach pkhali (a paste of spinach, walnuts, and herbs), and some excellent Georgian wine - Shumi saperavi

Tonight, in Lebanese mode (OK French but there's a lot of overlap), I made a textbook salade niçoise:

553885_797427392321_1994812977_n.jpg

Very refreshing after all the delicious, but huge and heavy meals in Georgia

Penang Chicken curry.JPG

Penang chicken curry with straw mushrooms. No Thai basil to be had at the moment and I did not plant any this year - damn.

How in the world did you chiffonade that lime leaf so finely?

Big, sharp Ikea knife! Rip out stems, pile a couple of leaves but don't roll them as you would basil or mint. Make tiny slices.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

It seems I can't go more than a few weeks without roast chicken, but it's been too hot to turn the oven to that temperature lately, so I spatchcocked it and roasted it on the grill. The other two sides in my three-pile smile were zucchini cooked with tomatoes, garlic and Calabrian chillis, and new potatoes steamed and tossed with butter, chives and fleur de sel. A very nice comfort meal.

Spatchcock chicken.jpg

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

FrogPrincesse – most amazing lobsters! What did you do with the roes? Many beautifully photographed dishes such as the Black gill rockcod.

dcarch - Thanks!

In our household the roe is the cook's treat (i.e., my husband does not care for it). I grilled the roe in the shell and ate it on a slice of baguette. It disappeared before I remembered to take a picture. :smile:

With the leftover lobster meat from the knuckles I made a simple salad of "freckles" lettuce (a type of romaine with burgundy spots), dressed with a little bit of homemade green goddesss dressing and plenty of chives from the patio.

7498922772_c8f360cb82_z.jpg

too hot to cook inside today so I cranked up the smoker for some pulled pork

rubbed and let rest for awhile

pulledpork3.jpg

after 12 hrs

pulledpork2.jpg

initially pulled apart with tongs as it was too hot to do by hand. loved how juicy it turned out

pulledpork4.jpg

The bone came out so clean

pulledbone.jpg

once cooled enough I used gloves and hand shredded..

pulledpork1.jpg

Dave, the sauce you served with this was outstanding.

Great job

Thanks for bringing some in for us to try,

Going to have to fill me in on the recipe :biggrin:

Shane

Was nice to find these beef ribs with some meat still left on them

Nice! I've had my eye on some beef ribs lately since I've done way to many pork.

Scotty: There is no such thing as too much pork.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

More cooking than picture-taking the last few days. We had guests visiting from Montana so we cooked local specialties. I posted our crabcakes already. Crab quiche with smoked gouda, gruyere, and blue cheese did not survive to picture time, but I did manage to wrestle some BBQ pork from the boys and their ever-hungry friends.

Pulled pork sandwich with mustard slaw and homemade BBQ sauce:

p314980437-4.jpg

Last night we sous-cheffed for Mrs. C, who made gazpacho with tomatoes from the farmer’s market, plus the first two tomatoes from our garden:

p372132236-4.jpg

Please share the recipe! "Crab quiche with smoked gouda, gruyere, and blue cheese"

The pork and gazpacho look terrific.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Please share the recipe! "Crab quiche with smoked gouda, gruyere, and blue cheese"

Thanks! "Recipe" might be a little strong, but search the web for "cheese custard pie" and "Joy of Cooking" and the basic recipe will pop up. Mix in a pound of crab and whatever cheese you have on hand, and enjoy.

Everyone agonized about blue cheese with (blue) crab, but it was fantastic. Next time, more blue cheese! :biggrin:

I'll try it using my go to quiche recipe, plus the crab and cheese substitutions then (TimeLife foods of the world provincial france).

thanks

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

My first dinner post after lurking for years. Locally grown pork, grilled eggplant and crimini mushrooms, potato pave and great local tomatoes. The pave recipe is from Thomas Keller that I have re-purposed for about four meals.

gDSC_0067.JPG

Percyn: Please forward some of that spicy pork dolsot to my house! Love dolsot.

I hit my local and usually boring grocery store just as it opened this morning. I was looking for a few necessities but came across Magret reduced by 50%! Each weighed close to a pound and averaged $7. I have never before seen any duck breasts in this store! I picked up four, froze 3 and here is half of the third:

Warm duck salad.jpg

From Jennifer McClagan's FAT - warm duck salad with blackberries.

Forgot to post this from yesterday:

dinner july 10.jpg

Pork chop that had been previously SV'd, potatoes sauteed in duck fat and steamed broccoli. Simple but satisfying.

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

DSCN0186.jpg

Managed to take a picture of the apps - well banchan really - but forgot to take one of the beef rendang (mind you - it's not all that photogenic).

Kimchi pancakes with dipping sauce, Korean cucumber salad.

IMG_9146+edit+color.jpg

malted pork jowl steak, yellow carrot-ginger puree, carrot pickle, charred shimeji, sweet peas, rice cakes

Beautiful.

May I ask how you malted the pork jowl?

Thank you.

The Nordic Food Lab (NOMA's research lab) released a post that contained information on cooking pork and malted grain together sous vide. The ideal temperature for cooking pork sous vide is in the range where enzymes in malted grain are active. These enzymes tenderize the pork and contribute flavor to the final product.

The post is here: http://www.nordicfoodlab.com/2012/03/hello-sweetness/

My method derived from their post is here: http://www.consumedgourmet.com/2012/07/malted-pork.html

Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

rotuts – do you know, I’ve never had scrapple! Is it grain-filled, like bangers?

Mark – your meatloaf looks EXACTLY like how I always want mine to look. We are visiting friend in Florida soon and I’ve requested meatloaf – hers is the best I’ve ever tasted and she gets that mahogany crust like yours.

mm – your turbot w/ zucchini is positively inspiring!

dcarch – Mr. Kim would melt at that gorgeous sashimi and I’d do the dishes for the skate!

Bruce – char siu is probably my favorite pork preparation and yours looks perfect. Also, we went to Capt. Billy’s in Pope’s Creek last weekend for a crab feast and the cakes were very good, but yours look even better!

Ashen – beautiful pulled pork. Mr. Kim is itchin’ to do one soon.

What with house remodeling, wasp attacks, family visits, etc., as I suspected, I haven’t been doing a lot of cooking lately. And we are leaving soon our Florida trip, so it may be awhile! And I can’t begin to comment on all of the fantastic food that everyone has been serving, but I’ve been dropping in for a quick peek and I’m envious and ravenous, as always!

A couple of meals from when my sister was staying with us last week -

salad and James Peterson’s brisket w/ pomegranate juice over noodles:

med_gallery_3331_114_21845.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_76020.jpg

We really loved this – moist and tender with the tang of the pomegranate.

Another dinner was just a rotisserie chicken, smashed potatoes and sprouts:

med_gallery_3331_114_92139.jpg