• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

It's been BBQ crazy in here!

Freestyle rub on some 8 hour hickory pork butt, slaw and some sauce I made last week.

I ate this too fast....time for a nap.

6b027ae2c00011e18bb812313804a181_7.jpg

428850_10151238257924908_1544927416_n.jpg

Also messed around with glueing some Speck to a chicken breast.

b3166f3abce711e18cf91231380fd29b_7.jpg

Edited by ScottyBoy (log)

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

If you like neck, try collar steak. It is the neck muscle with the bone removed. The cut works well in braises and quick cooking techniques. It is one of my favorite cuts on most larger animals.

But the bones add flavor and add to the fun of hunting for the small bits of gelatinous scrumptious meat ;)

If you like neck, try collar steak. It is the neck muscle with the bone removed. The cut works well in braises and quick cooking techniques. It is one of my favorite cuts on most larger animals.

But the bones add flavor and add to the fun of hunting for the small bits of gelatinous scrumptious meat ;)

They do add flavor in certain situations, but a good collar steak is far better than a chop and can compete with a nice steak.

Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

(snippy....)

Neighbor switched to a gas grill, so he gave me a perfectly serviceable Weber charcoal grill (nicer than mine, actually), a chimney starter, and a bag of charcoal. Sweet!

SILLY neighbor ! Lucky Bruce !!!

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

I was doing a initial burn in for the new bbq this afternoon then we had a mixed grill ( shrimp and veg skewers,sweet potato slices,italian sausage, tri-tip steak[didn't get a pic of this or the potato salad and rhubarb custard pie for dessert

new Q

GEDC2873.jpg

mild italian sausage

italiansausage.jpg

veg and shrimp skewer

shrimpvegskewer.jpg

And I nicked shanes sweet potato slice idea.

sweetpotato.jpg

pie..

rhubarbcustardpie.jpg

Very nice rig Dave

Love the bottle opener, always a great option to have :laugh:

I know how good that pie is :smile:

Shane

Shane.. thanks , I still need to save up for an egg or primo though. I am wearing D-lee down , I think I will convince her by the time this one is ready for a replacement. ;) lol

Rotus: I washed and then thick sliced with the skin still on. I then put them in a pyrex dish with enough water to cover and microwaved til tender but not fully cooked . I wasn't sure exactly how Shane does his , so I winged it. I dipped the slices in some maple syrup then into a rub a co-worker has come up with and gave me a sample of . think breading station setup with two plates. Then I just grilled fast to get some marks and moved to indirect to form a crust and cook all the way through.. Very tasty.

Apparently I went to extra trouble because shane just slices parcooks then grills straight up. That is very good as well btw.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Norm! That looks like an incredibly comforting and delicious meal. The slab o' butter for the bread? Skillet cornbread or? Was the shank simmered for a while and then the collards added? I also covet your bread basket.

Thanks heidih. Some of the shanks were simmered with the greens, some simmered with the beans. Greens simmered with sugar, hot sauce and red pepper flakes. Beans simmered with a little brown sugar, cinnamon, chicken broth and a dash of sherry. The butter went on the beans and the corn bread which was baked in a cast iron mold shaped like ears of corn. It is Wagner Ware and has a patent date of 1920. The bread basket is woven from palm fronds. It was a gift from a lady when i vacationed in Kaua'i.

Sorry I didn't snap any pics, but dinner tonight was chuck steak done sous vide at 130F for 24 hours, mushroom sauce made with the reduced bag liquid, butter, cream sherry and sliced white and porcini mushrooms, served with steamed cauliflower.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Sorry I didn't snap any pics, but dinner tonight was chuck steak done sous vide at 130F for 24 hours, mushroom sauce made with the reduced bag liquid, butter, cream sherry and sliced white and porcini mushrooms, served with steamed cauliflower.

This seems pretty interesting combination. Inspiring!

"The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live."

Franchise Takeaway

Nice soup! I like leaves in it. I love herbals and leaves in food, it always give nice decoration and aroma. What's that meat on the side waiting? :)

I'm generally kind of wary of herbs, but I made the soup to taste very simply of its ingredients - pressure-cooker chicken stock, sweated onion, tomatoes (and some brown-sauteed tomato paste), a very few lentils and the cream, salt & pepper. Now I can have it with oregano today, chives tomorrow, thyme another day; or toss in some fried garlic or a tadka of spices or some grated onion or...

In the background it's the prosciutto (parma ham) on a single slice of buttered bread.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.