• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

shane -great looking pizza.. hope chris is doing ok.

ScottyBoy- Do you bring your meat/protein up to room temp before putting on the smoker? If you do , that might be reducing your smoke ring. Cold meat will develop a better smoke ring, if you are going for that look. Here is a good link that explains the whys and wherefor's . Most competition BBQ teams use this to their advantage although it does add time to the cook to bring up to final temperature.

http://www.genuineideas.com/ArticlesIndex/smokeParticles.html

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Good Lord. Away from the site for a couple of weeks, I have just sat and viewed four pages of the most gorgeous food on the planet and have been by turns enchanted, intimidated, driven to find recipes online, and grabbing my paper towel to mop up the drool.

I'm cooking burgers tonight. Too stinking hot to cook anything inside. 100F all week.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Trial run of the new smoker.

Here's the smoker:

smoker.jpg

Tried to do pulled pork with a piece of pork shoulder. Smoked at 225F for about 7 hours to an internal temperature of 185F. It was only about 2.25 lbs and took much longer than I thought. Wanted to go to 190F but the family was hungry.

Here's the meat just out of the smoker:

smoked-pork-whole.jpg

It was tasty and not dry, but it also wasn't very tender and really didn't pull apart, so I had to cut it instead:

smoked-pork-cut.jpg

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

image2hpk.jpg

Bone in pork loin roast with a sweet ancho chili and butter glaze smoked to 140F internally over six hours. Next time, I'm going to cut it into chops and finagle a higher temperature - my smoker is crap.

Heh. Did pulled pork last night, too. Used the 'Memphis Dust' from the Amazing Ribs site (nice page, that). No other marinades, etc. Placed it in the smoker for 3 hours at ~100C. Then wrapped it in foil with a little bit of 50:50 apple juice:cider vinegar and roasted it in the oven at ~100C for 7 hours. Pulled apart nicely. Was especially good when paired with the 'grown-up' mustard sauce from the same page.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Heh. Did pulled pork last night, too. Used the 'Memphis Dust' from the Amazing Ribs site (nice page, that). No other marinades, etc. Placed it in the smoker for 3 hours at ~100C. Then wrapped it in foil with a little bit of 50:50 apple juice:cider vinegar and roasted it in the oven at ~100C for 7 hours. Pulled apart nicely. Was especially good when paired with the 'grown-up' mustard sauce from the same page.

Mine was done with just Memphis Dust too.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

I was doing a initial burn in for the new bbq this afternoon then we had a mixed grill ( shrimp and veg skewers,sweet potato slices,italian sausage, tri-tip steak[didn't get a pic of this or the potato salad and rhubarb custard pie for dessert

new Q

GEDC2873.jpg

mild italian sausage

italiansausage.jpg

veg and shrimp skewer

shrimpvegskewer.jpg

And I nicked shanes sweet potato slice idea.

sweetpotato.jpg

pie..

rhubarbcustardpie.jpg

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Good Lord. Away from the site for a couple of weeks, I have just sat and viewed four pages of the most gorgeous food on the planet and have been by turns enchanted, intimidated, driven to find recipes online, and grabbing my paper towel to mop up the drool.

Hi everybody. I've also negletted the dinner thread lately but I've been coming once in a while to see what you have been cooking.

I'm totally with Kay! I LOVE all your food. I wouldn't know where to start but I would happily eat at your houses :biggrin:

Lately I've been an Ottolenghi kick.

Some of my last dinners

Eggplant kuku

kuku.jpg

Barley tabouleh

barleytabboulehottolenghi.jpg

Marinated peppers with parmigiano

marinatedpeppersromano.jpg

And yesterday night with a huge steak we had this wonderful fava salad and green tahini sauce

favasaladotto.jpg

Edited by Franci (log)

Tried to do pulled pork with a piece of pork shoulder. Smoked at 225F for about 7 hours to an internal temperature of 185F. It was only about 2.25 lbs and took much longer than I thought. Wanted to go to 190F but the family was hungry.

It was tasty and not dry, but it also wasn't very tender and really didn't pull apart, so I had to cut it instead:

After making a few too many not very tender pieces of pork butt, my family has come to accept that that when I reply "Not ready yet," its worth the wait.

Once above 180, if I need to serve, I increase the temperature to 275 or 300. I wait for 195, and 200 is better.

After making a few too many not very tender pieces of pork butt, my family has come to accept that that when I reply "Not ready yet," its worth the wait.

Once above 180, if I need to serve, I increase the temperature to 275 or 300. I wait for 195, and 200 is better.

I did exactly the same, except I stopped at 185. I fully expected the internal temperature to rise to 190 while it rested, but it didn't happen. In fact it immediately started to drop.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

Franci – you have such mastery of using vegetables. I can enjoy the Eggplant kuku everyday.

Ashen – wonderful pizza.

Mgretz – I envy your smoker.

robirdstx – Nothing wrong with a nicely grilled steak.

SobaAddict70 - Scampi al forno looks delicious and beautifully plated, so is the potato salad.

patrickamory – I have made frijoles borrachos a few times, they didn’t come out as nice as yours.

Scottyboy – those smoked ribs, WOW! You are a good cook! :-) Chicken ballotine, Wow! You are a great chef!

Kim – Thanks. The dressing on my watermelon salad was French dressing with a little wasabi added. Those amazing looking curly bacon!

C. sapidus – lovely drumsticks.

percyn – perfect steak on fried rice.

rotuts – Thanks. The clam dish; the clams were sous vide cooked.

mkayahara – Thanks. The cauliflower was very easy pan sauted.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Went to the farmer’s market, got some wonderful squashes and purple scallions, some extraordinary scallops and heritage pork belly.

Went to the supermarket, and got some Lamb neck bones. Lamb is expensive, but the neck bone was $1.65 a lb. A lot of meat on the bones. The flavor and texture of the neck bone meat is, IMHO, better than other lamb cuts of meat. Kind of like ox tails. I hope no one discover that. :-)

dcarch

Sous Vide Pork Belly with a Medley of squashes

porkbellysquash2.jpg

porkbellysquash.jpg

Stewed Lamb Neck Bone

lambneckbone2.jpg

lambneckbone.jpg

Scallops, patty pan squash.

scallopssquash2.jpg

scallopssquash.jpg

Edited by dcarch (log)

There wasn't enough left over smoked pork for the "main course" for three, so I chopped it further and added it to fried potatoes, onions and eggs. I'm calling it a North Carolina Scramble!

north-carolina-scramble.jpg

The picture doesn't really do it justice! (My wife had fourths!)

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

dcarch -- lamb neck bones. similar to lamb shanks? looks great (and I won't tell your secret :P)

004-001.JPG

Fava bean, arugula and pea salad, with cow's milk ricotta cheese, lemon zest and mint

039-001.JPG

Spaghetti with heirloom tomatoes, bottarga and garlic.

There really isn't a recipe for this. I had some leftover cooking liquid from Saturday evening's dinner that had a LARGE amount of chopped garlic, some shrimp juices and olive oil. I fried the garlic in the residual olive oil, added some bottarga, chopped heirloom tomatoes and a little fresh oregano, added cooked drained spaghetti and let the pasta absorb some of the sauce. Served with a very tiny amount of grated pecorino romano cheese.

There is a tradition in Italian cuisine where you make a pasta sauce using meat drippings from say, a piece of roast beef or lamb. This is more or less the same concept.

I did exactly the same, except I stopped at 185. I fully expected the internal temperature to rise to 190 while it rested, but it didn't happen. In fact it immediately started to drop.

The pork probably wasn't quite out of the "stall/plateau." While its been shown in the last year that the plateau is not the result of collagen absorbing heat while turning to gel, but just evaporative cooling, it still seems that the meat will not be shreddable until the temperature is rising reletively rapidly again.

If you don't have a probe with a graphing function, so as to see when the temperature begins rising sharply at the end of the plateau, just give the meat a poke. It will wobble almost like gelatine.

dcarch – another amazing meal! I will keep an eye out for neck.

Georgian grilled chicken – Russian Georgia, that is. A mystery spice packet from Russian friends, mixed into a marinade with olive oil and fish sauce (probably not traditional) and grilled over charcoal. Y’all may be getting sick of my grilled meals, but da boyz can’t get enough.

p517103804-4.jpg

Sauteed carrots and mushrooms – with sherry vinegar, garlic, chiles, oregano, and a little sugar. Eternal cucumbers, unpictured. Boys ate all the bread in the house, so we were short on carbs.

p31883857-4.jpg

Neighbor switched to a gas grill, so he gave me a perfectly serviceable Weber charcoal grill (nicer than mine, actually), a chimney starter, and a bag of charcoal. Sweet!