• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

Thanks! Just as beautiful, but slightly more affordable! (relatively speaking--I still can't afford them, but I can still dream!)

This is the one Hering dish I've eaten off of:

Hering-Berlin-Cielo-perforated-bowls,01026_1.jpg

Kind of neat. But might make a mess if you're eating something saucy. :wink:

Shane – Thank you muchly!

Ack Bruce the last thing I need is more Thai cookbooks! I still have Sodsook in my sell pile. Do I really need to buy this one? Would you recommend it over Kasma's two?

I would recommend it over Sodsook, but it complements Kasma nicely. More home-style cooking compared with Thompson. Probably our most-used Thai cookbook, including tonight . . .

Props on shelling peas for kheema – I can’t remember the last time we had fresh-shelled peas. Also, I need to look up that Vietnamese chicken salad.

Kind of neat. But might make a mess if you're eating something saucy. :wink:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Collaborative Father’s Day meal tonight

Juicy strip steaks for the boys, with my usual garlic, black pepper, and soy sauce marinade

p774476512-4.jpg

Mrs. C made coconut rice and peanut sauce. Peanut sauce made a nice salad dressing, too.

p1070733089-4.jpg

Mrs. C picked blueberries this morning, and saved the best for me :wub:

p698537915-4.jpg

Younger son and Mrs. C made blueberry crisp, a wonderful Father's Day present!

p899110237-4.jpg

Looks amazing as usual Bruce... I've got both Thailand the Beautiful and the Kasma books in my Amazon wishlist now, and I guess I'm keeping Hot Sour Salty Sweet, so room needs to be made on the bookshelf.

Blueberries already in season down there huh? I'm used to Maine blueberries, it's a July-August thing... those look wonderful.

Made pan fried potatoes with porcini mushrooms. Bought porcini on my recent trip to NYC in Eataly. The availability and quality of produce there is amazing. Wish we had something like this in Washington, DC area. I remember picking porcini with my grandmother as a child. This dish almost felt like a hug from my lovely granny who is long gone...

potatoes with porcini.JPG

YUM chefmd -- your potatoes and mushrooms look both simple and so savory and delicious! I would very happily eat that for dinner.

Tonight I was dealing with a glut of garlic scapes, so I made Stir-Fried Chicken with Garlic Scapes and Asparagus. Sauce had some oyster sauce in there. Really really yummy. A nice use for the scapes, since I find them too strong in pesto...

robirdstx – gorgeous wings. I was just telling a friend that wings must be on special everywhere this month – everyone is making them.

Bruce – the gai yang sounds right up my alley! Could you hook me up with some proportions for the marinade (didn’t I just get you to do this for something else that you made? I can’t remember what it was, but I know that I made it and we loved it)?

Ashen – beautiful rib meal and that salad is gorgeous!

Patrick – tah-dig. I want.

Father’s day afternoon we went to my SIL’s for a combined Father’s Day celebration and party for our niece’s HS graduation. Our contributions included Marlene’s Red Pepper Jelly Cheesecake:

med_gallery_3331_114_316971.jpg

Texas Caviar and pita chips:

med_gallery_3331_114_155774.jpg

Green salad w/ mango and cucumbers and lime vinaigrette:

med_gallery_3331_114_51593.jpg

Everything turned out very good and was well received, but I honestly didn’t need to bother bringing anything but the one thing that I forgot to take a picture of, so here’s one from Mother’s Day:

med_gallery_3331_114_184024.jpg

It’s sweet piggies - just regular mini piggies with a honey/butter/brown sugar sauce poured over before baking. One of our nieces specially requested them and everyone went nuts over them. People were actually picking up the entire baking dish to carry it into other rooms so they wouldn’t get eaten up by others. I made a double batch, but I think that I could have made 10 times that and they would have still disappeared!

Mr. Kim made his fabulous apple cake:

med_gallery_3331_119_321755.jpg

Mr. Kim’s Father’s day gift:

med_gallery_3331_114_247638.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_247903.jpg

That’s a robe-sized giftbox, with a regular sized dinner plate, fork, knife, etc. Printed out clip-art of a steak dinner. When I asked him what he wanted for Father’s day, he said a steak dinner. Since we were going to be at my SIL’s for dinner, I thought a coupon would be in order. We’ll make a trip to the butcher shop soon :biggrin: .

Last night we had so much left over from Father’s day that I assumed it would just be a refrigerator rummage dinner, but bless Momma’s heart she showed up with her vegetable-beef soup:

med_gallery_3331_114_280034.jpg

I made a little garlic bread with more of the scali rolls and it was delicious. I did have a little bit of a snack from leftovers:

med_gallery_3331_114_302823.jpg

Haven't posted in a few weeks --- a little overwhelmed by all your amazing dishes. Those ribs! OMG!

I make a few things for Father's Day.

dcarch

Lettuce Avocado salad

lettuceavocado2.jpg

lettuceavocado.jpg

Strip steak, Hosta flowers, Grilled Pineapple

stripsteakpineappled2.jpg

stripsteakpineappled.jpg

Water melon Tomato salad

watermelontomatosalad2.jpg

watermelontomatosalad.jpg

Clams

clams2.jpg

clams.jpg

Pulled Pork, Cauliflower, Beets

pulledporkbeets4.jpg

pulledporkbeets2.jpg

Flat Apple pie

flatapplepie.jpg

so I've been working through a lot of stufato (I could seriously live on that stuff for the rest of the summer) and some takeout Indian food from this weekend; however, this was for dinner last Thursday:

7188926045_d10188aacf_c.jpg

Petits pois, with chickweed and shallots

I don't recommend peeling peas unless you're feeling a touch masochistic.

It took me a little over 90 minutes to peel about 1/2 lb. fresh shelling peas...

458038_403085266408896_1635474063_o.jpg

Worth the effort in the end, though I won't be going through that again for the foreseeable future.

Interesting - we got shelling peas for the kheema upthread, and we shelled a half pound in about 10 minutes. Just bend the pod toward the curve and the peas pop out. Perhaps yours were picked not quite ripe, or too ripe?

Now shelling fava beans the previous week - that took forever!

I worked at a restaurant where we had freshly double shucked peas, garbanzos and favas on the menu. Each day we did about a quart of each bean. You get quick very fast.

Another place required the peas cut into quarters or eights depending on size. That was a time consuming task!

Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

Panaderia's right. :wink: I only wish it were as simple as shelling peas. I was inspired by this NYT recipe which is from L’Oustau de Baumanière in Les Baux, Provence: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/25/dining/petits-pois-de-loustau-de-baumaniere-recipe.html?_r=1&ref=dining

You'll note that my adaptation is 180 degrees from the original. It contains 1 tablespoon beurre d'Isigny; you can eliminate that and sub in a vegan-friendly fat and it will be 100% vegan. Recipe on the blog.