• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

Some recent meals.

Last night was grilled chicken, corn and poblano chilis, sliced tomatos and macaroni/cheese on the side, and strawberries for dessert. Very summer American. No pix. :blink:

<politically incorrectly named> hotdogs & tator tots, served with this souvenir from NZ for me, and sriracha for our guest (himself & the munchkin prefer catsup & French's mustard

2012-06-12 download 004.jpg

2012-06-12 download 005.jpg

2012-06-12 download 034.jpg)

There were more customized frittatas but the pix are out of focus.

and the first caprese of the season, under wraps for a few minutes travel to a friends'.

2012-06-12 download 011.jpg

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Love the pumpkin idea. How did you pick a spot for it. I think I would have folded into the bechamel to carry it evenly through but if it was good - what did you do?

I did as an individual layer in the center for two reasons:

1. The pumpkin was fairly spicy and if it is in decent sized lumps, it can be avoided if needed. My 2 and 4 year old boys didn't mind and ate it, but I wasn't sure how it would be received!

2. Pumpkin roasted with chilli is just such a great flavour and when I bite in to a chunk, I want a decent chunk, I feel like mixing it in to the bechamel would sort of dilute that pumkinny goodness

KA – Dogs and Tots! Doesn’t get much better than that. And those strawberries and cream! Wow :wub: .

I tried out a Giada recipe last night for dinner:

med_gallery_3331_114_140878.jpg

Prosciutto ravioli with ricotta and spinach topped with oregano butter with sautéed Swiss chard on the side. I didn’t have any prosciutto, so I subbed country ham. I’m not sure why, but I didn’t care for the ravioli. I found the oregano butter too strong and rich. I think that I would have preferred a light cream sauce. Mr. Kim really liked it. I have a lot of filling left, so I’m going to turn it into a manicotti filling and top it with a Bolognese sauce.

Have been mostly eating leftovers which were non-photogenic for the last few days but today I definitely craved something light and fresh:

Asian inspired salad1.jpg

I have a borrowed copy of Hot Sour Salty Sweet so hope to enjoy a few meals from that in the coming days.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Beaituful homemade sausage, Shane. What recipe do you use?

Here are a few recent simple/weeknight meals.

White seabass with basil and cherry tomatoes, cooked in an aluminum foil pouch. Very flavorful and moist. Served with roasted cauliflower.

7168158525_9fd307d03e.jpg

7353369190_b7c2ae143d.jpg

Grilled Delmonico steak with English peas and caramelized onion foccaccia from Sadie Rose, a local bakery that is associated with my CSA.

7168269749_dcdc384643_z.jpg

Duck sausage from Homegrown Meats; salad with roasted torpedo onions, cherry tomatoes and cotija cheese. The sausage was really delicious.

7175277667_681485ba36_z.jpg

I am glad to answer any question anyone has about the recipe.

The original recipe for Cuban style steak is as follows but we found it too salty and I'm just using adobo seasoning and garlic infused olive oil and broil or grill it for around 25 minuted, depending on thickness.

4 lbs chuck eye steak, 1-inch thick, beef

2 tablespoons garlic-flavored olive oil ( or mix some olive oil with garlic powder or fresh minced garlic)

1 tablespoon cajun seasoning

2 tablespoons adobo seasoning ( with or without pepper)

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

This is the adobo rub I used. All ingredients that are not already powdered go into a spice grinder until powdered

2 T. allspice berries

2 T. black peppercorns

1 t. cumin seeds

One 1 1/2” cinnamon stick, broken

7 whole cloves

2 T. sweet paprika

1 T. chipotle powder

1 T. ancho chili powder

1/4 C. kosher salt

1/4 C. sugar

I always serve it with chimichurri sauce. Place all ingredients in food processor and puree.

1 cup (packed) fresh Italian parsley

1/2 cup olive oil

1/3 cup red wine vinegar

1/4 cup (packed) fresh cilantro

2 garlic cloves, peeled

3/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon salt

As requested, here is a picture of the Cuban steak. It was almost ten when Cassie got home so dinner was quite late. The picture was taken in the dark so I am surprised it even turned out at all.

Second picture is of the steak cut up, chimichurri sauce, nopalitos with tomatoes and onions, fried sweet potatoes and corn. Color isn't very good in the pictures. Dessert was fresh juicy peaches and tres leches cake.

Dinner was a hit, I'm told, and Both Charlie and Cassie liked the steak with just the adobo and garlic oil better than with the cajun seasoning, salt and pepper added. Steak was "marinated" with the rub for about three hours before grilling.

DSCN0126.jpg

DSCN0128.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

On the grill

sausage.jpg

How do you get the sausage to stay coiled on the grill, if I may ask? I've got about 4' of prime chorizo I'd like to grill tonight, and I'd like to not cut it if possible.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Thanks for the great comments folks

The sausage recipe was pretty simple

Salt, pepper, garlic and vino, the hot mix had chile flakes added

They were rolled in the coils when we made them

Dried in the fridge overnight and packaged

I used them at a BBQ fest and thought they would handle easier than links

Chorizo might be a little difficult to coil

Would love to see some pics of the meal :smile:

Shane

Thanks for the great comments folks

The sausage recipe was pretty simple

Salt, pepper, garlic and vino, the hot mix had chile flakes added

They were rolled in the coils when we made them

Dried in the fridge overnight and packaged

I used them at a BBQ fest and thought they would handle easier than links

Chorizo might be a little difficult to coil

Would love to see some pics of the meal :smile:

Shane

Ambato Chorizo has more in common with that sausage than the chori you're thinking of, I'd bet. It's a soft, large-bore sausage for me. I'll take plenty of pics - it's my birthday dinner!

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

With boerwors you just (sometimes, anyway) secure the coil with a couple of skewers. It also makes it easier to flip the beast carelessly.

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between