• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

robirdstx – crispy sage leaves! Yum.

Harry – I love that you cook with your son and don’t mind the extra time it takes. That is an investment that will pay off some day!

mm – lobster, lobster, lobster! I just tossed a bunch of saved lobster recipes, because I realized that, as a retired person (yay), I probably won’t be making much lobster, but your post is making me regretful!

Dinner tonight was an utterly boring chicken and rice casserole and delicious roasted cauliflower:

med_gallery_3331_114_32073.jpg

Dessert was some surprisingly good strawberries and Girl Scout lemon cookies:

med_gallery_3331_114_318908.jpg

A savory cannoli.... Wow! I want one. :smile:

Tonight, a simple one-pot dish. Baby broccoli from my CSA tossed with olive oil and pressed garlic, baked together with a couple of rockcod fillets wrapped in homemade tesa/pancetta. Lemon halves are baked in the same dish and used to season the fish before serving. Really nice and so simple (based on a recipe in Jamie Oliver's The Naked Chef Takes Off).

6966198443_2d5759bc49_z.jpg

Very cool potato preparation! I always like a little description of the process when it's a bit of an "out of the box" kind of dish. What did you wrap the slice around when you fried it?

I used a mixture of bacon fat, potato flakes, potato starch and water for the shell. Mixed together and spread thinly, then baked. Once the top was crisp and the piece was easy to move whole I cut it to size and carefully wrapped it around the handle of a metal whisk (best I had). Back into the oven until completely crisp. There was enough bacon fat in the mix so that I was essentially frying it in the oven.

The filling is riced russets, sour cream, chives, black pepper and salt. I piped the filling into the shells and served immediately.

The cheese whiz was adapted from MC, but is basically a thick cheese emulsion charged in an ISI.

The exact recipe is here, I would copy paste it but some of the code won't transfer making the recipe illegible.

Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

Well into the prep of tonight's dinner. Ticking away in the slow cooker right now are some black-eyed peas (Donald Link's recipe). I've just finished the meez for the chicken and sausage gumbo and red beans (both from John Besh's book). Over the next couple hours I'll be finishing a blueberry tart (Besh), a coffee and garlic crusted beef chuck roast and some 'competition' chicken (Adam Perry Lang in both cases). I will also be preparing another batch of the popcorn crocodile.

From elsewhere I'm getting chilli con carne (a friend is following the Blumenthal recipe for 'perfect' chilli) and a corn salad (thanks, Keith_W). I am also getting lots and lots of cake. Sometimes eGuleteer Nich is bringing a few cakes--I know about a chocolate/rum/chicory tart and crack pie. There's a bourbon and pecan tart of some kind. Molasses cookies. Fudge.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

C.s: would you share the Choo Chee fish curry Rx?

many thanks!

Sure, the recipe is Choo chee red curry shrimp with kaffir lime leaves and basil (choo chee gkoong), from Kasma Loha-Unchit's wonderful Dancing Shrimp. We substituted fish for shrimp. I hope you enjoy it.

http://ilovethaicuisine.blogspot.com/2007/12/choo-chee-goong-red-curry-shrimp-with.html

Is this the recipe? Your curry looks Yellow?

Just curious ( modifications )!! I don't do many curry dishes but this looks good.

Yep, that's the recipe. I added more coconut milk than specified, which probably affected the color.

Thanks! ETA: the leftovers made a satisfying breakfast.

Edited by C. sapidus (log)

A couple of Japanese themed dishes for one of my best clients.

Mizuna, blue fin tuna, nori and miso dressing.

6822809896_f7b68c0f42_z.jpg

A little bowl of ramen. Soft cooked egg yolk, pickled carrots, pork and scallion.

6822809888_fef10a6e80_z.jpg

Red miso glazed lamb loin, braised daikon and mustard seeds.

6822809874_1dc80b61d3_z.jpg

Coffee jelly and sauce with yuzu whipped cream.

6822809864_cbab05d6a2_z.jpg

It's a lot of fun to cook out of my comfort zone for this guy. He understands if a dish is a bit.....experimental.

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

C. sapidus the curry looks awesome, Bruce. I often use Kasma's website as a reference, but her two cookbooks were long out of print by the time I got into Thai cooking. And they now seem to go for $45-63 (minimum) on the used market.

If I were to buy just one, which of the two would you recommend, given that I own Thompson, Su-Mei Yu and Victor Sodsook, as well as Hot, Sour, Salty, Sweet (though I'm thinking of selling the latter two - I never use them)?

EDIT: to keep the thread on topic, here's a dinner picture. Chicken thighs with wild rice and brussels sprouts.

chicken.jpg

Edited by patrickamory (log)

A couple of Japanese themed dishes for one of my best clients.

Mizuna, blue fin tuna, nori and miso dressing.

6822809896_f7b68c0f42_z.jpg

A little bowl of ramen. Soft cooked egg yolk, pickled carrots, pork and scallion.

6822809888_fef10a6e80_z.jpg

Red miso glazed lamb loin, braised daikon and mustard seeds.

6822809874_1dc80b61d3_z.jpg

Coffee jelly and sauce with yuzu whipped cream.

6822809864_cbab05d6a2_z.jpg

It's a lot of fun to cook out of my comfort zone for this guy. He understands if a dish is a bit.....experimental.

If I ever get to have you cook for me, I pick all of this. :cool:

Did a test run tonight on the dishes I'll be doing for an April 15 cooking class.

Five-Spice Rack of Lamb with Litchee-Plum Conserve, Steamed Rice with Dried Vegetable Seasoning, Braised Baby Bok Choy-

002.JPG

010.JPG

C. sapidus the curry looks awesome, Bruce. I often use Kasma's website as a reference, but her two cookbooks were long out of print by the time I got into Thai cooking. And they now seem to go for $45-63 (minimum) on the used market.

If I were to buy just one, which of the two would you recommend, given that I own Thompson, Su-Mei Yu and Victor Sodsook, as well as Hot, Sour, Salty, Sweet (though I'm thinking of selling the latter two - I never use them)?

Patrick – Thank you! Both of Kasma’s books are very good, it just depends what you are looking for. Dancing Shrimp has lots of seafood recipes. We love it and we cook from it frequently. It Rains Fishes has fewer recipes, but more information about Thai cooking and ingredients, some of which is duplicated on Kasma’s web site (in particular her excellent flavor balancing exercises). If I could only keep one, it would be Dancing Shrimp.

Anyway, speaking of chicken thighs and Victor Sodsook . . .

Issan-style grilled chicken – marinated with pureed cilantro, garlic, pepper, ginger, palm sugar, and fish sauce

Braised cabbage with dried shrimp, from Cradle of Flavor.

Served with bread and butter.

p816776742-4.jpg