• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

rarerollingobject-- { fish on a stick } eating fish with a handle ( wing ) ( fin ) what ever-- Nice

FrogPrincesse--Yumm

dcarch--I need to be getting me some fatties ( asparagus ) too. Nice as always

Franci-- Really like what your cooking, I went to the sweetbread blog too. Never bought any before thou, but have eaten them!!

Cheers--Happy Friday ( for me in the MID-west USA )

Its good to have Morels

Beautiful handmade orecchiette, Franci. :smile:

Is your daughter your pasta-making assistant? Mine loves to roll pasta with the Kitchenaid (she thinks it's a lot of fun), but we haven't tried making orecchiette yet.

Frogprincess, the assistant is the boy, now almost five, although the picture is from 2 years ago. He was helping me with the cavatelli machine. The girl is only 13 months old but a good taster.

I love orecchiette, like most fresh pasta from the south, is made with no egg and durum flour, which gives a very nice bite to it. I found they are very difficult to master though.

Love your fish!

dchard, you can transform the most simple things in a work of art!

RRO, I wish I could find the cod "wing"! MMMhhhh, they look very good. I do have in the refrigerator (for months already!) some dry cod tripe or intestines, this reminds me I should soak them.

Paul, thanks. Give the sweetbreads a go! I love that recipe (or better the technique). I cook sweetbreads quite often, my husband loves them.

Wild Sockeye Salmon ( Baked )/ Anson Mills White Stone Ground Grits ( with Mushrooms and Grana Padano Cheese/ Broccoli

7008582513_35d1dab3ff.jpg

For the salmon--I get my baking pan hot then put on fish, allows skin to crisp, then made a Meyer Lemon/Basil/Caper sauce to finish.

Grits--My new found love!!

Its good to have Morels

dcarch – Thank you! Your sous vide corned beef looked fantastic, and I will second RRO’s praise and question about the asparagus. Beet juice, maybe?

Rare RO – “Fish spareribs” is brilliant! Yeah, sometimes the boys lobby for what they call “normal” food. For Mexican cooking, you can’t go too far wrong with Rick Bayless or Diana Kennedy.

Paul Bacino – gorgeous salmon!

Farmhouse stir-fried pork – with Anaheim chiles, fermented black beans, and bacon. With jasmine rice and salad, we squeezed a quick meal between work and elder son’s lacrosse game.

p95843454-4.jpg

Thanks for the nice words, everyone.

Tonight we started with a simple Persian cucumber salad with Bulgarian feta, zaatar, an olive oil & lemon juice dressing, and fresh mint.

7010231497_81aa5c97a7_z.jpg

After seeing Franci's gorgeous orecchiette, I had a sudden craving for homemade pasta. I made cavatelli using a recipe that I learned at a pasta making class by a local chef and that incorporates homemade ricotta and orange zest. My daughter did most of the kneading and rolling (we have a little hand-cranked cavatelli maker). I served it with broccoli rabe pesto, cavalo nero (aka dinosaur kale), and Italian sausage.

6864114852_df27024a06_z.jpg

MMMMMMMMMmmmmmm........RRO, your pork belly looks so porky and delicious!

Do ya'll get tired of my endless nights of pizza pics lol?

P2260221.JPG

Beer brats

P3090223.JPG

Terrible picture. Not near as pretty as David Ross's. But, I made his hash the other night. BOY was it good. I didn't use the food processor to chop up the meat or the taters, I just did it by hand. And, my hollandaise is a bit too runny. And, my husband wanted to use the blue plates...as in "blue plate special" lol.

P3220224.JPG

A friend brought me back a bag of these pretty-looking rum beans from Chiapas:

chiapas_rum_beans.jpg

I brought them to a boil in water with a couple tablespoons of bacon fat, some vegetable oil, chopped white onion, sage and some smashed garlic cloves in a clay pot, and then simmered them covered for about 2 and a half hours, adding salt halfway:

beans_cooked.jpg

Served on rice with chopped white onion, chopped fresh jalapenos, lime wedges, avocado and tortillas:

beans_bowl.jpg

FP..

I have yet to find.. " zaatar " spice in Omaha Nebraska USA.

You can order it off Penzeys or, if you can find sumac, you can make it yourself.

You may want to look into Mediterranean grocery stores, otherwise Williams Sonoma also sells zaatar.

I want everything that everyone has posted! :wub:

Acouple of meals from this week...

Brunch: French toast/grilled cheese

Hillmangrilledcheese1699.jpg

Grilled turkey breast fillet with fat-free mozza

turkeylunch1702.jpg

Coconut panko shrimp, baby octopus, homemade fries, and peas with fresh mint

shrimp & octopusfries1695.jpg

and a "gift basket" for my neighbor - coconut/panko shrimp

Lisa and shrimp bouquet.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Afraid to post something after so many wonderful creations here....

So, for my first time to post in this thread I choose a "typical Spanish" lunch (this is the dinner thread, but actually lunch is the strong meal of the day in Spain, so I assume I should post "lunchs" here), Cocido Madrileño. The local version of pot-au-feu.

We start with bone-marrow from the stock bones, on toast:

cocido-madrileno-tostas-.JPG

Then it is served in three parts or "vuelcos". First one is a soup from the cooking liquid, degreased and with small noodles:

cocido-madrileno-primer-vuelco.JPG

The vegetables (carrots, potatoes and cabbage) and chickpeas:

cocido-madrileno-segundo-vuelco.JPG

Finally come the meats: chorizo, rice "morcilla", hen, veal shank, ham (serrano), and pork fat:

cocido-madrileno-tercer-vuelco.JPG