• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Makes Your "Best" 2012 BLT or Something Similar?

Paul Bacino

I just love Purple Cherokee tomatoes and this local cured Shoulder bacon.. I don't mess with Hellman's ( maybe I should make my own )-- But I do different takes of lettuce or arugula.. Bread I use/d TJ's organic wheat!!!

7529454334_d64d2ff5b3_h.jpg

What to improve ON, what do you prefer ? !!

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

Good timing, BLTs are on tonight's dinner menu: I agree with the choice of purple cherokee, definitely one of my favorite tomatoes. I'm not a fan of thick-sliced bacon on a sandwich though. I'll be using a homemade bacon from Modernist Cuisine (it's in the oven now). I hadn't decided whether to make homemade mayo or not, but since you're throwing it down here maybe I'll go that route...

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I'm with Chris on the thin, crispy bacon.Thinly sliced and toasted bread is a must. And, I prefer Miracle Whip on BLT's. I think it's the sweetness.

I love ANY and all garden grown 'maters and any lettuce that isn't tough.

I did a variation the other day using fresh dill mixed with soft cream cheese in place of the M. Whip. The dill added a great flavor to the BLT.

Great looking sandwiches, guys.

Basic here. Non-supermarket white bread, toasted. Helman's mayonnaise, ripe heirloom or at least farm stand tomato, iceburg lettuce for the crunch and bacon warm and greasy from the skillet, cooked but not brittle.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

OK, here's my entry: homemade bacon (Modernist Cuisine recipe), homemade mayo (lemon juice-based, lots of dijon though), store-bought everything else. Butter lettuce, Purple Cherokee tomato, standard white bread.

BLT.jpg

Oh. My God. Mouthwatering Chris. And incredible photo.

We just happened to have BAATs last night:

000253ed-cbc5-4f82-afc0-ecef65d3f0c4.jpg

Bacon (home-smoked), arugula (from the garden), avocado and tomato (Celebrities, also from the garden) on homemade bread.

Some things we do that I think make for a better sandwich - salt the tomatoes a bit and put some extra bacon fat on the greens.

I'm also a big fan of PPLT sandwiches (pulled pork instead of bacon)...

Food Blog: Menu In Progress

Gorgeous: what cure recipe did you use for the bacon? Do you salt the tomatoes a la minute, or pre-salt them to draw out moisture?

Thanks! We use the cure from Charcuterie - the savory variation. The tomatoes get sliced and salted during prep so they have ten minutes or so to get happy.

Food Blog: Menu In Progress

thin, crispy bacon

fresh, warm tomato

toasted white bread - or portugese sweet for the husband

fresh basil leaves

Miracle Whip

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

We just happened to have BAATs last night:

Bacon (home-smoked), arugula (from the garden), avocado and tomato (Celebrities, also from the garden) on homemade bread.

Some things we do that I think make for a better sandwich - salt the tomatoes a bit and put some extra bacon fat on the greens.

I'm also a big fan of PPLT sandwiches (pulled pork instead of bacon)...

Paul, I suggest you try this with your favorite breakfast sausage instead of the bacon; the stronger seasoning works really

well with the other items. Salt? Good grief , WHY?

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Does no one else add dill pickle slices? My BLT's absolutely must have that to be right. Whole wheat toast, best possible tomato and bacon, Hellman's mayonnaise. If I'm making it at home, sometimes I add avocado. I like the idea of arugula or basil, but hadn't thought to try it.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Tonight's entry might be more appropriately called a TBL, since the tomatoes were the star. This time everything is either homemade or homegrown except the lettuce. The tomatoes are Porter's Pride, the bread is the White Mountain Bread from Beth Hensperger's The Bread Bible, the mayo is a normal mayo recipe, lighter on the mustard this time, and the bacon is again the stuff from Modernist Cuisine.

DSC_2031.jpg

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org