• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oreo Cookies

Chris Hennes

16 hours ago, MSRadell said:

Here are the latest releases. According to the article I read the Ultimate Chocolate is a limited release and will go away, the Toffee Crunch is going to stay around.

image.png.cc509616254d3b5c332e9248768bcfda.png

I would like to try both of those!  Thanks for bringing to my attention!  As always, I'm suspicious of what manufacturers call "toffee".  Like "caramel" it is almost always wrong.

This thread makes me think of Toliver so much and miss him.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Yes, I thought of Toliver also when I spotted this article about Oreo's 110th birthday special release:

https://www.today.com/food/oreo-releasing-chocolate-confetti-cake-flavor-110th-birthday-t244753

I didn't realize the last Birthday Cake version had been to celebrate their century mark, but I enjoyed those. (As I recall, @rotuts thought them vile. 😉) Although, looking at the timing I have to think that when I tried them it was not for the 100 year birthday, regardless of what my linked article claims.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@Smithy 

I was never able to try them , as MarketBasket didn't carry them

I do like the regular filling in Oreos , and Hydrox ,  ( dont know if Hydrox still exists )

in moderation of course .  sometimes you just need a hit of artificial stabilizers ,

hoping for the best.  I have in the past scarped off any filling

both for Oreo's and hydro , and enjoyed the chocolate cookies

w ice cold milk  of course   Hydrox , back then , was better 

as I recall.

I do miss Tolivers enthusiasm for tracking all those oreo combos down

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

On 1/9/2022 at 6:20 PM, MSRadell said:

Here are the latest releases. According to the article I read the Ultimate Chocolate is a limited release and will go away, the Toffee Crunch is going to stay around.

image.png.cc509616254d3b5c332e9248768bcfda.png

I bought both last night and prefer Ultimate Chocolate.  Nabisco tried with the toffee but didn't really succeed to my tastes.  You get a strong aroma of something toffee-ish as soon as the package is opened, but the toffee flavor isn't great, and these are too sweet for me.  Might buy Ultimate Chocolate again but probably not Toffee Crunch.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I found both the Toffee Crunch and the Birthday ones - the birthday ones have little sparkles on the outside and a layer of speckled white and plain chocolate fillings inside.  If I hadn't seen the outside I wouldn't have known these were any different from the usual Oreos.  The toffee ones, well... they're ok.  To me, these didn't taste like a Skor or Heath bar and no way would these be confused with a homemade toffee.  But dunk them in some tea or coffee and I'd eat them.  Still though, my all time favs are the Dark Chocolate ones.  Nothing will ever be as bad as the tiramisu ones. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Chimayo Joe said:

How long have caramel coconut Oreos been available?  I had some of those a couple of weeks ago and thought they were pretty good.

@Toliver mentioned them in this post about 2 years ago.

There are some unfavorable comments that follow.   @Kim Shook commented on them again last year here.  

Maybe you've gotten a new and improved version? 

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

@ToliverThere are some unfavorable comments that follow.   @Kim Shook commented on them again last year here.  

Maybe you've gotten a new and improved version? 

LOL at Kim's comments.  Kim REALLY hated them.  I agree that the coconut flavor is very faint.  What I had is probably not new and improved.  Maybe I was just in the mood for fake maple flavor.  

FWIW, I don't buy a lot of Oreos, usually just to try the different flavors.  Even the ones I like, I tend not to buy again, so I probably won't be doing a second bag of Coconut Caramel to see if my sense of taste was off-kilter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Lance Nekot cookies - lemon creme - were pretty good, if memory is correct. Haven't had them in years, though. I can imagine that the Oreo version is very sweet and lacking in lemon flavor.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 1 month later...

Can’t decide whether you want a sweet or salty snack?  How about a Ritz cracker-Oreo pair with both peanut butter creme and regular creme fillings?  
Apparently a very limited, mail order only promo.  
B41D2E50-EB2D-4C2F-8B1A-81468D5BB514.thumb.png.7cb50702d8e7210a618865373d2d410a.png

Two thoughts:  it’s not even April 1 🙄 and I really miss @Toliver❤️

Edited by blue_dolphin
To add photo (log)
  • Like 2
  • Sad 4

Have not had an Oreo in many years but I am almost intrigued. I used to eat those cheese + peanut butter crckers commutng to work and I like sweet + savory.  Walking away...

• Like 1

This is just wrong.   Kind of like when TV shows "share" a cast and do a crossover episode that usually comes off very contrived 😆

Pretty soon they'll pair oreos with pretzels.  Or potato chips.  Or cheez-its.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I figure it was in part a PR stunt and it was indeed picked up by a lot of media outlets so that part was successful. When I first posted this, I figured I'd try to snag a package, just for fun. Then I started to see the story everywhere and figured I'd never manage to get one.  Also, when the precise time came, I forgot 🙃

18 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

Pretty soon they'll pair oreos with pretzels.  Or potato chips.  Or cheez-its.

And yes, I figure the other part was to test the Oreo waters for savory flavors.   Who knows where it could take us?  Like @heidih, I like sweet and savory flavors together and I'd absolutely sample a bite of these if I had the chance.  I'd actually go for your Oreo/pretzels over Ritz, which featured that mock apple pie recipe on the box for ages so is no stranger to sweet-savory either. 

Growing up, we had a cookie/snack tin that came out of hiding when after school treats were in order.  Sometimes, funds were flush and whole, intact cookies, pretzels or chips could be selected.  Other times, we enjoyed broken pieces in all combinations and I recall Oreo and potato chip being rather a favorite of mine!

Edited by blue_dolphin
missing word (log)
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I figure it was in part a PR stunt and it was indeed picked up by a lot of media outlets so that part was successful.

I figured the same but personally would probably like it. Not a processed junk food lover but do mini taste the TJ offerings work has 24/7 all day long. The young social media production assistants will probably have a case next week purchased with their p-cards. 

TJ's probably has the same in production already, 😂

I recently had an almond butter filled pretzel dipped in dark chocolate. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...