• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storing potatoes and onions

jgm

Right now the main issue in my kitchen is storing onions and potatoes. I just don't have a good system, and they usually remain in their bags, being moved from one spot to another. It's getting pretty annoying. I understand that potatoes and onions shouldn't be stored together; that darkness is good; and that ventilation is necessary.

In the Chef's Catalog are canisters - one set cast iron, the other is probably stoneware or something like that - with lids, and holes for ventilation. They appear to be large versions of the garlic keepers that many people have. They'd be fine, except by the time I pay for them and pay for shipping, it'll be a significant investment.

I've thought about getting large terracotta pots and saucers (the kind usually used for plants) and inverting them, using the saucers as the base and the pots as the lid, thus putting a ventilation hole at the top.

Much less expensive would be regular ceramic canisters, with lids somehow propped open for ventilation.

All ideas and suggestions would be welcome.

this is not attractive but very practical and if you dont want to spend $$$ for a storage system that will not do any better than this ...well try it! ..onions are easy put them in a pair of panty hose (it is the ONLY way those things are allowed in my house is for storing onions btw) and then drop in an onion make a knot ..another onion another knot ...both legs full you hang them by the crotch on a nail in a cool dark area ..snip an onion off the bottom bellow the knot when you need one!

for Potatoes I just hang the mesh bag up in a cool dark area of the garage as well not right next to the onions but in the same room

hope this helps

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I've had a huge bag of russets down in the basement since June. They're still good.

I did see a neat trick in an old issue of Cusine @ Home magazine. Use two of those magazine storage holders( find ones that are plastic, with holes in them). It looked pretty cool.

Like this

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

this is not attractive but very practical and if you dont want to spend $$$ for a storage system that will not do any better than this ...well try it! ..onions are easy put them in a pair of panty hose (it is the ONLY way those things are allowed in my house is for storing onions btw) and then drop in an onion make a knot ..another onion another knot ...both legs full you hang them by the crotch on a nail in a cool dark area ..snip an onion off the bottom bellow the knot when you need one!

for Potatoes I just hang the mesh bag up in a cool dark area of the garage as well not right next to the onions but in the same room

hope this helps

My dad does this very same thing with both potatoes and onions, then stores them in the garage. (Where it's cold most of the time, the garage is a very effective substitute for a root cellar.) Works like a charm.

one of my housemats is obsessed with wicker baskets, so we have a ton of them lying around- all shaped and sizes. I put a couple of nails in to one of the beams and hang my baskets from them- potatoes on one end of the walk-in pantry, onions on the other, with a small basket of shallots next to the onions.

Sincerely,

Dante