• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner II: The Gallery of Regrettable Foods (Part 1)

Grub

please explain what that is Kristin.. to me it looks like scallops covered with sand...

and the second one.. some kind of root vegetable with sesame?

the second one is gobo (burdock root) with a sesame and vinegar dressing.

The first one are mochi (pounded rice cakes) covered with kinako (roasted soy bean powder.

They both taste wonderful but that color just doesn't photograph well.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Kristin... I have been recently wondering what Burdock tastes like, is there anything you could relate it to ?

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Monty Python references make this thread even better  :laugh:

Heh. I was desperately trying to remember the dialog from "The Meaning of Life" among the tankful of fish in the restaurant (something on the order of "Look--someone's eating George!")--but couldn't quite pull that one together.

Kristin... I have been recently wondering what Burdock tastes like, is there anything you could relate it to ?

tracey

dirt

but in a good way!

:laugh: I think we might need to start a whole 'nother topic entitled "Regrettable Food Descriptions."

I call this rat turd soup. (It was supposed to be black bean soup with chorizo, but I was too heavy handed with the chicken stock, subbed beef hot links for the chorizo and needed more beans...) Just goes to show you that garnishes can't make a regrettable meal look any better!

gallery_28847_1134_225198.jpg

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

Oh, Marsha -thank you, thank you, thank you! That site is a stitch!

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

Gah.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

...It is shrimp pilaf with keema curry and a hot dog.  :sad:  (He said it was good...)

That is awesome! I mean, the description is just amazingly awful...

"Shrimp Pilaf with Keema Curry and Hot Dog" -- I want to see that on a restaurant menu one day... :laugh:

This is a dish one of my friends ordered at a beach restaurant this summer.

It is shrimp pilaf with keema curry and a hot dog.  :sad:  (He said it was good...)

I hope you all went running to the kitchen to count the cook's fingers.

Blegh.

In keeping with the spirit of this excellent thread: memepool.com led me to this lovely pictoral of office potluck food - with comments!

Oh the horror! Whatever that burrito thing is (with the Mexican Gravy) may be one of the most repulsive things that I have ever seen.

:shock::laugh: Talk about a train wreck! I think that cookbook outdid just about everyone on this thread! Well...maybe except for the curry and, er, hot dog. :wacko:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

That cookbook really is hilarious.. I dont know if I would be able to do business with a company that represented itself like that.. I could just see all that cheese congealing in the hot summer sun at the company picnic..