• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Camping, Princess Style

Marlene

I forgot to take a picture of jamaica brewing in the 1-quart measuring cup, but here it is as part of my breakfast this morning. It's prettier in person, but I did my best with the photo. 

Incidentally, I first learned of this drink by its Arabic name, karkadeh. If you ever have a chance at karkadeh in a Middle Eastern restaurant, hibiscus tea is what they're offering you.

20221211_092844.jpg

"Hey!" said my darling. "Don't use so much ice! Remember it takes 3 days to make a fresh tray!" I reminded him that our refrigerator and freezer are working better now. 🙂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

The wind has come up and is expected to continue coming up until a storm system passes this evening or tomorrow. It's a good day to sit inside, write and work on projects. We're congratulating ourselves on having had the foresight to cook over the campfire last night. We've had it laid and ready, but weather, fatigue, cold, etc. had so far convinced us to be lazy and cook inside except when he cooked hash over the camp stove.

A few days ago I pulled one of our bargains from home out of the freezer. I have no idea why these weren't selling well, but the blowout sale was our bonanza!

20221211_102004.jpg

I wanted kebabs. I cut the tenderloin into bite-sized pieces and marinated them: half in my go-to lemon/oil/garlic marinade and half in this Peri-Peri sauce. I don't remember when or where I bought it, but it was time to open it and see what it was like.

20221210_205837-1.jpg

Since I was a bit leery of the unknown sauce I committed only half the meat to the Peri-Peri; I marinated the onions, red bell peppers and the rest of the pork in my standard marinade.

20221210_173156.jpg

I might as well not have bothered making such a distinction. I could see which was which by the color difference in the skewered meat in the kitchen, but over the campfire it was another story altogether.

20221210_175756.jpg

I quickly lost track, and simply basted all the skewers with first one and then the other of the marinades. It was a beautiful evening for sitting outside. We love moonlight, but the stargazing and satellite-watching are far better when the moon is below the horizon. So it was as we were cooking.

Meanwhile, I cooked pilaf inside over the stovetop. We had things timed well enough that it all finished at about the same time...and then the toaster jammed, and his toast charred to the point of nearly catching on fire! I threw the blackened piece out the door with the haste of a heroine in a thriller pitching the bomb out the window just before it goes off. Then we spent the next half hour with the ceiling vent pumping warm air out of the trailer while the smoke cleared! Oh, well. (No, I didn't stop to take a picture of the blackened toast. Would you stop to take a picture of a bomb just before it went off?)

20221210_181310.jpg

Dinner was delicious. The Peri-Peri sauce is tart with a touch of sweetness, and has a decided Sneaky Pete heat that catches up after a few bites. I wouldn't serve it to certain of my family or friends (those who think ketchup is too spicy) but I'd use it for anyone who isn't afraid of a little heat. I took this picture before we started adding sauce to our pilaf: I had reserved some of both marinades for the purpose. 

20221210_181721.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

32 minutes ago, heidih said:

So the toast is the incongruous with the meal (to me) your hubbie's bread with meal thing? Love outdoor grilling. I can almost smell it (not the toast oops)

He is a hard-core "must have toast with dinner" person. The rare exception is, say, crackers with chili, or when we're having tortillas with something. It took us 10 or 15 years of marriage before I started getting that toast thing into my head. Now, whenever he cooks dinner, he doublechecks to see if I want toast! (The answer is almost always "no, thanks" but I guess it's nice that he checks.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, Smithy said:

He is a hard-core "must have toast with dinner" person. The rare exception is, say, crackers with chili, or when we're having tortillas with something. It took us 10 or 15 years of marriage before I started getting that toast thing into my head. Now, whenever he cooks dinner, he doublechecks to see if I want toast! (The answer is almost always "no, thanks" but I guess it's nice that he checks.)

Ronnie used to be exactly the same.  But, a while back, he started trying to eat less carbs.  I'm so used to doing it that I find myself toasting a slice of my French bread and he's like "no thanks" lol.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I have never heard of this preference.    My dh does often request garlic bread when we're having something something that sops.

25 minutes ago, heidih said:

My grandpa HAD to have white bread - even Wonder soft - to mop up anything - but not toast...

My father's father always wanted toast or bread, I forget which, with dinner. In a time when white bread was the thing to do and we generally had Rainbo bread (cheap version of Wonder Bread) my mother would splurge when Nana and Papa came to visit: it had to be whole wheat. Roman Meal was the thing then. As I recall, we children felt rather put-upon after Nana and Papa left, because we had to put up with that whole wheat bread until it was gone! All our tastes changed sometime in the '70's or '80's.

Dad also wanted toast, or maybe just bread, with his dinner. It never caught on with the rest of us, except for garlic bread with pasta.

For my darling it must be toasted so he has some crunch, as well as something with which to sop up sauces. I do quite as well simply collecting the sauces on the meat, pasta or vegetables, thankyouverymuch. 😉

Edited by Smithy
spelling (log)
  • Like 6

13 minutes ago, Smithy said:

My father's father always wanted toast or bread, I forget which, with dinner. In a time when white bread was the thing to do and we generally had Rainbow bread (cheap version of Wonder Bread) my mother would splurge when Nana and Papa came to visit: it had to be whole wheat. Roman Meal was the thing then. As I recall, we children felt rather put-upon after Nana and Papa left, because we had to put up with that whole wheat bread until it was gone! All our tastes changed sometime in the '70's or '80's.

Dad also wanted toast, or maybe just bread, with his dinner. It never caught on with the rest of us, except for garlic bread with pasta.

For my darling it must be toasted so he has some crunch, as well as something with which to sop up sauces. I do quite as well simply collecting the sauces on the meat, pasta or vegetables, thankyouverymuch. 😉

So, to what level does your darling like his toast done? Guessing from  your pictures that it’s dry toast. I’m intrigued by the idea, it’s not something I’ve ever encountered (not at the every dinner level).

Growing up we seldom had bread or rolls with dinner. The exception would be if soup or salad was the main course. If I was served a bowl of mussels or steamed clams without crusty rustic bread my tears would dilute the broth. And how sad would it be to have any kind of borscht without fresh rye bread?

I don't think I've ever had real Texas Toast, but i imagine it would be good with BBQ. Better I'm sure than that floppy stuff that typically accompanies ribs, etc.

• Like 1

Last night was a cracker night instead of toast. It was rainy and cool, with enough wind to rock the trailer; chili seemed an excellent choice. We still had 2 freezer containers of the chili he made before we left home. (I wrote about this batch of chili, and the wreckage of my favorite pot, back here.)

It's funny how the charred bits added textural interest without ruining the flavor. I had a bad moment, though, when the microwave cooking began to release aromas. "The toast is burning again!" I yelled as I rushed into the kitchen. Then I realized that we weren't toasting anything. 😆

20221211_190713.jpg

Saltines actually are pretty good with this.

20221211_192222.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

17 hours ago, DesertTinker said:

So, to what level does your darling like his toast done? Guessing from  your pictures that it’s dry toast. I’m intrigued by the idea, it’s not something I’ve ever encountered (not at the every dinner level).

He likes it to be dry, for the crunch; he isn't picky about the color. The whole wheat bread he prefers has some honey in it, so caramelizes and browns more than the sourdough bread I prefer. Either, on the same toaster setting (i.e. not jammed and burning) works for him.

eta: this was a nonsense answer, once I looked at the post again. A better answer is down a few posts.

Edited by Smithy
Added comment (log)
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Growing up we seldom had bread or rolls with dinner. The exception would be if soup or salad was the main course. If I was served a bowl of mussels or steamed clams without crusty rustic bread my tears would dilute the broth. And how sad would it be to have any kind of borscht without fresh rye bread?

I don't think I've ever had real Texas Toast, but i imagine it would be good with BBQ. Better I'm sure than that floppy stuff that typically accompanies ribs, etc.

We did occasionally have rolls with dinner. I think those were reserved for the special dinner occasions (holidays, or special guests over for a roast beef dinner) but I'd forgotten that until you brought it up. Thanks!

I honestly don't know what Texas Toast is. I see croutons with that label sometimes, and they seem thicker than regular toast. I've never seen it at the Texas barbecue places we've visited. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DesertTinker said:

I just realized that my previous answer didn't address the photo and the point of your question. Sorry! He usually likes his toast browned somewhat, although the dry crunch is the main criterion. In the picture above that you asked about, the toast is really too pale because I was jumpy after the near-fire. I'd turned the toaster down ALL THE WAY until I could be sure that the scorching was due to jammed toast rather than a malfunctioning toaster.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I just realized that my previous answer didn't address the photo and the point of your question. He usually likes his toast browned somewhat, although the dry crunch is the main criterion. In the picture above that you asked about, the toast is really too pale because I was jumpy after the near-fire. I'd turned the toaster down ALL THE WAY until I could be sure that the scorching was due to jammed toast rather than a malfunctioning toaster.

The toast in the photo looked barely warmed, but I understand your caution. There’s nothing like getting all warm and cozy, then having to let it all out due to the smell of burnt whatever.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Smithy said:

Saltines actually are pretty good with this.

I never ever understood saltines. I guess I’m missing that gene.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I am in the "a meal without bread is incomplete" camp.  Fried chicken without biscuits or a stack of homemade white bread?  Ham without cornbread?  A Greek salad without chunks of crusty bread?  Soup without just about any kind of bread?  No for me, thanks.  I am completely able to make a whole meal of bread and gravy, if that's what is available.  I can remember years ago after I'd started posting my dinners in that thread someone asked me if I always had bread with my meal - e even the ones with corn or potatoes.  And I truly didn't understand the point of the question 😂.  I don't always have it - especially if all I've got is sandwich bread, but I always miss it if I don't have it.  

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Anna N said:

I never ever understood saltines. I guess I’m missing that gene.

I've always thought of saltines as bomb shelter provisions.  I'm pretty sure they were stacked up when we had to practice evacuating into a nearby shelter when I was a school kid. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I've always thought of saltines as bomb shelter provisions.  I'm pretty sure they were stacked up when we had to practice evacuating into a nearby shelter when I was a school kid. 

Around here I'd see a small basket of them on the table at coffee shop type places like the sugar packet container. I'd see older ladies slip a packet or two in their hamdbags "foir later". Yes sort of emergency provisions in the 2 to a packet form for freshness.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

I'd forgotten about the twofer packets of Saltines at coffee shops! That used to be a thing in the Northern Minnesota coffee shops too. It's been so long since I ate at one I don't know whether it's still true. 

I loved, loved, loved Saltines when I was a kid. Slather a bit of margarine (yes, really -- that's what we used back then) on a Saltine and I was happy although I usually wanted several. Peanut butter occasionally was the topping of choice. Then in the 80's or 90's I realized there were much, much better crackers out there and lost my taste for Saltines. My darling still prefers them to the "fancy" crackers as a rule, partly because they're cheap and partly because they're comfort food for him. I keep "fancier" crackers around (usually Club) as well as Saltines. I was surprised the other night at just how good the Saltines were with that chili.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

2 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I'd forgotten about the twofer packets of Saltines at coffee shops! That used to be a thing in the Northern Minnesota coffee shops too. It's been so long since I ate at one I don't know whether it's still true. 

I loved, loved, loved Saltines when I was a kid. Slather a bit of margarine (yes, really -- that's what we used back then) on a Saltine and I was happy although I usually wanted several. Peanut butter occasionally was the topping of choice. Then in the 80's or 90's I realized there were much, much better crackers out there and lost my taste for Saltines. My darling still prefers them to the "fancy" crackers as a rule, partly because they're cheap and partly because they're comfort food for him. I keep "fancier" crackers around (usually Club) as well as Saltines. I was surprised the other night at just how good the Saltines were with that chili.

Yup, I'll grab a Saltine and run it across the butter in the dish (it's just the two of us ...who cares if I leave cracker crumbs across the stick lol)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

You Bet !

there are also low . possibly no salt saltines .

freshly opened  pack , of no salt . or so

crushed up 

by hand 

on that Soup ?

Not too much , just the right amount :

excellent .

Club is nice if you want more fat.

• Like 2

Quintessential Southern snack in the US:

1-IMG_1397.jpg.cdf55b62a5f8d02004eec52e10827fbd.jpg

A sleeve of saltines and a stick of butter.  I adore saltines.  Of course there are ALL different kinds of crackers, but better???  I don't agree.  Just different.  For different applications.  Saltines (specifically Premium for me) are the perfect plain snack cracker - flaky, crisp, with a light wheat flavor and lightly salted.  You want salted - unsalted is like matzo or cream crackers.  Which are fine, but for other purposes.  Saltines with butter or peanut butter, with Braunschweiger or liverwurst or bologna.  With soup or sliced tomatoes and Dukes.  My granddaddy used to crumble them into his buttermilk if there wasn't any leftover cornbread in the morning.  And they absolutely SHINE in @racheld's incomparable Redneck Gazpacho!  They are an American classic - deservedly, I believe.  

• Like 6