• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2024

liuzhou

19 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Perhaps I should get over my aversion to liver - I just always remember my Mom making liver and onions for her and my Dad - we kids got hot dogs on those nights! My Dad liked any kind of meat cooked to death - I thought I hated steak until I had one in a restaurant! I do love paté so maybe time to put on my big girl panties and try chicken livers!

I think you're my sister.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Perhaps I should get over my aversion to liver - I just always remember my Mom making liver and onions for her and my Dad - we kids got hot dogs on those nights! My Dad liked any kind of meat cooked to death - I thought I hated steak until I had one in a restaurant! I do love paté so maybe time to put on my big girl panties and try chicken livers!

Growing up, I wasn't much of a meat eater. I never cared much for calves liver but my mom lightly breaded and fried chicken livers in bacon fat and served them with mushrooms and onions, also cooked in the bacon fat and I liked that.  Always liked paté, too, and will probably make something along that line with some of this package. 

• Like 3

A few recent breakfasts:

Eggs with mushrooms, finger peppers, green onions and cilantro with toasted sourdough. Sausage hiding under the toast.

I kept enough salmon from yesterday's dinner to make an egg, salmon, finger pepper, green onion, Monterey Jack and lettuce wrap for this morning's breakfast.

Both breakfasts with a navel and blood orange mix, coffee and a glass of Clamato.

EggsandSausage.thumb.JPG.6a4fa77c669833f6012251991d1740a7.JPGDSCN1740.thumb.JPG.c0a642c82010d432bbc608e61470afa9.JPG

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

16 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

They're quite mild, so they're a good entry point for the liver-averse.

I hated it in childhood, love it in adulthood, but even now I dislike liver done in the old-school fried-to-leather fashion.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I also hated beef and calves liver as a child and love it as an adult. My mom cooked it to a sandy, gritty overdone. We weren't given an alternative meat in those days (I'm sure our dog looked forward to liver day).

Chicken livers were another story. My mom wrapped them in bacon and didn't overcook them so we looked forward to those.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Referring to the talk about liver, I like lambs liver and bacon but don’t eat chicken livers except in pate… they look so little!!!

Love that you include some citrus with your breakfasts.  @blue_dolphin not just juice I mean. 

Bubble and squeak for breakfast, has potato, Brussel sprouts, onion, tomatoes and little pork bits and egg. 

4EC75FDE-10AA-4503-B7DB-C17D959EF303.jpeg.c38ac370eedae471f42b671c182b545a.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

17 hours ago, Neely said:

Love that you include some citrus with your breakfasts.  @blue_dolphin not just juice I mean. 

I tend to prefer to chew my calories rather than drink them.  Unless there's alcohol involved, that is 🤣

And I love that you often include vegetables in your breakfasts.  Years ago, I participated in a research study where we had to eat a LOT of fruit and veg.  I soon learned that adding some to my breakfast could help prevent getting to dinner time and needing to eat 4 servings of fruit and 5 vegetables.  I need to get back into that breakfast habit!

Toasted fruit-nut bread (has dried apricots, figs, cranberries, pecans, hazelnuts and walnuts) spread with homemade whole milk ricotta and topped with beet stems and cranberries pickled in a sweet red wine vinegar brine.   Plus a handful of kumquats to ward off scurvy.

CD16F12A-DBAB-4E1D-8BDA-A58BAE748636_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.5a88b539fb16caf3066055e5b8f06891.jpeg 

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

Egg, sausage, mushroom, aged cheddar, tomato and lettuce with a dash of sriracha on a toasted WW bagel (pardon the sideslip on the front half). Sloppy to eat but tasted great. Strawberries topped with a dollop of chia seeds in yogurt and a V8 on the side.

DSCN1743.thumb.JPG.3299dc1534ab9764ac05e0457555b00c.JPG

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Clockwise from lower left, scrambled egg, cherry tomatoes, roasted Brussels sprouts tossed with hot sauce,  manzano chile salsa and queso fresco, cheesy jalapeño cornbread from Snacking Bakes, and pinto beans with more salsa. 

E8C2FD3B-2790-459E-B6BD-806C37B531AC_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.2b13449ed4346d7cfb1ec4349398c5b0.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Made a breakfast sandwich by splitting and toasting a piece of yesterday's cheesy jalapeño cornbread to surround an egg and country ham biscuit slice. Not bad, I might try again with sausage to see if that works better with the cornbread. 

5C5FCBDB-8196-42AC-983D-00DF89DEB36D_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.97251e9c6627ad707db5a90407e7995e.jpeg

On the side are a tangelo and the Sweet + Sticky Brussels Sprouts from Nik Sharma's Veg-Table, which were excellent. After roasting, they're lightly dressed with a sauce that's made with mirin, honey or maple syrup, miso, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and sesame oil. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Beetroot seems very popular and so it should be because imho it is delicious. 

Still using up the beetroot hummus, but needed a substantial 2 egg breakfast

8C9340FC-5837-4DF9-B201-F964774F9AFE.jpeg.1057bfe76856d69cc227acbd5ffc8c06.jpeg

• Like 6

Breakfast this morning was a roujiamo made from what I didn't eat for dinner last night.

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/166082-dinner-2024/?do=findComment&comment=2416803

Accompanied by a nice cup of Bovril, innit? Sorted.

IMG_20240223_141245.thumb.jpg.701ff44b66c88234a51bcdffcdaa5f36.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto