• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

@Dejah

Congratulations on your ( local ) sausage.

Sausage ( Industrial supermarket ) has a justifiable, questionable reputation .

But the real deal , from butchers that make their own  , or butcher shops 

is a different matter .   

your find looks delicious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I planned to make Liuyang black bean chicken, realized I was out of fermented black beans, and then discovered that the international market was also out. Customer service claimed a supply disruption, but I easily found some online. Which, of course, did not help with dinner tonight. so I subbed in dou ban jian and improvised.

Chicken thigh chunks were marinated in soy sauce, partly fried, and removed. Gently-simmered garlic cloves, sliced ginger, and shallots, added dou ban jian and Shaoxing wine, and finished with sesame oil. Mrs. C made a carrot salad with soy sauce rice vinegar, honey, and sesame seeds. Jasmine rice to go with.

SF_chix_carrot_202410.thumb.jpg.606a75be56a565ab0c0fcad2c94feeb4.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 3

I am in Sydney at one of my son’s home for a few days visit. We had take out from a Fish and Chip shop. Very good shop for as well as grilled or battered fish or crumbed various fish, they cook this Thai salmon and sell various salads of which we had a pumpkin salad and a beetroot salad. Also on the plate is a potato cake ( large slice of battered potato ) and a battered sea scallop. Chips of course. 

78B771BB-C84C-42F8-8800-BAE6CDDFDC59.jpeg.c2f7f180e4fcd4bc18f1928a959410be.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

On 6/26/2024 at 1:13 AM, Neely said:

I made an apricot and blue berry galette with bought frozen pastry. We always have some pastry in the freezer because my husband will quite often make apple galette to use up some uneaten apples. I usually make my own pastry as I quite like doing that.

That is so pretty.

• Thanks 1

Herb-Crusted Pork Tenderloin with Butternut Squash - pork tenderloin gets quickly seared and then put in the oven to reach 142F. Rest for 5 minutes before coated with fresh chives and tarragon. Diced butternut squash is sautéed before cooked in a sauce made from roasted walnuts, white wine, heavy cream and vegetable broth and finished with lemon zest and juice. Served with a mixed green salad.

IMG_0864.thumb.jpeg.571dff00171e3eb5d402ccdd0edbe889.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

12 minutes ago, Honkman said:

Herb-Crusted Pork Tenderloin with Butternut Squash - pork tenderloin gets quickly seared and then put in the oven to reach 142F. Rest for 5 minutes before coated with fresh chives and tarragon. Diced butternut squash is sautéed before cooked in a sauce made from roasted walnuts, white wine, heavy cream and vegetable broth and finished with lemon zest and juice. Served with a mixed green salad.

IMG_0864.thumb.jpeg.571dff00171e3eb5d402ccdd0edbe889.jpeg

I happen to have pork tenderloin in the freezer and a butternut squash on the counter and spinach in the fridge - so thanks for a soon-to-be dinner plan!

• Delicious 1

A friend gave us a package of liver, but it was cut thin. I try to get thick cut. These were cooked quickly!
Eaten with onion gravy, sweet potato and Romano Beans

LiverOnion7007.jpg.0f7e7df0005f6c8721a8316a5a80e5ac.jpg

Moroccan Chicken Tagine with Lemon scented Basmati rice and steamed carrots. Enjoyed the sweetness of the dried apricots and saltiness of the green olives.

MoroccanChickenTagine7012.jpg.85ae718e5eac2cff2fa78cd6fede17a1.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Shrimp patia with brown-fried onion, curry leaves, tomato, tamarind, chiles, garlic, cumin, coriander, cayenne, garam masala, turmeric, and cilantro.

Stir-fried green beans with curry leaves, grated coconut, masoor dal, mustard seed, cumin seed onion, and chile. Turmeric Basmati rice to go with.

Shrimp_patia_202410.thumb.jpg.966e078795fe81fb82d30c2837ea3aa7.jpg
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 2

I'm not sure that fish chili would have occurred to me, but why not? Makes me think of an old online acquaintance from the days when I sold on eBay regularly--anytime I'd mention having fish tacos, he would throw a fit. Could not imagine how anyone could ruin tacos by putting fish in it. He's probably turning over in his grave looking at this. Ha!

• Haha 3

Deb

Liberty, MO

On 10/22/2024 at 5:01 PM, C. sapidus said:

Mrs. C made a carrot salad

The other day I went down a rabbit hole and I found a post from you about a jicama salad with cilantro lime dressing. You gave a link for the salad but unfortunately it was an old rabbit hole in the link was no longer viable. I wonder if you could give me an idea on how to make the dressing. I would really appreciate it as it sounds like something that we would like. Thank you

9 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

The other day I went down a rabbit hole and I found a post from you about a jicama salad with cilantro lime dressing. You gave a link for the salad but unfortunately it was an old rabbit hole in the link was no longer viable. I wonder if you could give me an idea on how to make the dressing. I would really appreciate it as it sounds like something that we would like. Thank you

Here is a link that should work: Rick Bayless's Jicama Salad with Watercress, Romaine and Lime-Cilantro Dressing (clicky)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Thank you so much. I can no longer get jicama here so I'm going to try it with cucumber and I am having it tonight because we are having guests.

I'd sub daikon if you can get it vs cucumber.  Turnip might also be a possibility.  And if your guests would eat it, beets would work too (golden if available, otherwise cut the red beets then soak in multiple changes of cold water to bleed them).

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Some recent dinners.  Corn and cod green curry from a NY Times recipe.  I had a lot of corn to use up, but think the curry would have been better without the corn.  I added some spinach too.

cod and corn green curry

codcoconutcurry.thumb.jpg.02c5f4aa18168d07e4e57d5f5e318d75.jpg

Chicken milanese

chickenmilanese.thumb.jpg.cd1b90c8b51457150b2755376f19c580.jpg

Jackfruit and avocado tacos

jackfruittacis.thumb.jpg.d213c407d7b99b90fd3ee57bcde82bd9.jpg

Grilled chicken with tzatziki and salad

grilledchickenshawarma.thumb.jpg.aee4038badc41d21c46900e7278050ff.jpg

Wonton noodle soup with bok choy and mushrooms

wontonsoup.thumb.jpg.0dea4c9e53c0ad0687673d04d66f8cf5.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

6 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Some recent dinners.  Corn and cod green curry from a NY Times recipe.  I had a lot of corn to use up, but think the curry would have been better without the corn.  I added some spinach too.

cod and corn green curry

codcoconutcurry.thumb.jpg.02c5f4aa18168d07e4e57d5f5e318d75.jpg

Chicken milanese

chickenmilanese.thumb.jpg.cd1b90c8b51457150b2755376f19c580.jpg

Jackfruit and avocado tacos

jackfruittacis.thumb.jpg.d213c407d7b99b90fd3ee57bcde82bd9.jpg

Grilled chicken with tzatziki and salad

grilledchickenshawarma.thumb.jpg.aee4038badc41d21c46900e7278050ff.jpg

Wonton noodle soup with bok choy and mushrooms

wontonsoup.thumb.jpg.0dea4c9e53c0ad0687673d04d66f8cf5.jpg

Are the wontons homemade?  If so, what did you use for afilling?  If not, from where and what do you think of it?