• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

Last night's dinner was made in the Ninja Speedi.

Broccoli, cauliflower and red pepper strips seasoned and topped with steelhead filets.  Excellent.  Cooked on crisp mode.

• Like 7

Sausage-Filled Portobello Mushrooms with Broccolini and Cherry Tomatoes - From the Dinner in One book - Portobello mushrooms are filled with a mixture of Italian pork sausage, panko bread crumbs, garlic, thyme, parmesan, parsley and white wine. Cooked in the oven with some broccolini and cherry tomatoes.

IMG_8764.thumb.jpeg.934bd6a72932715c37b7ee93c69b42d7.jpeg

• Like 15

Seared scallops over spinach risotto with what I thought was chopped pistachios but turned out to be a mix of chopped pistachios and toasted sesame seeds.  My fault for putting an unmarked ziploc of chopped nuts leftover from another recipe in my nut storage area, and for not looking closely at what I had.  It was a somewhat annoying surprise at the dinner table.

scallops.thumb.jpg.87052169f7f66c3b19e50f201307b433.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 3

Another night, another take out meals. 

PXL_20240107_004434488.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.be4b4e3a49792845e56b325b10476982.jpg

Cold chicken

PXL_20240107_004428400.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.859bbf20efdb97e808ba92e9b931911c.jpg

Mapo doufu - very savory but with a real brightness from a lot of Sichuan peppercorns. I'm pretty sensitive to them - mouth was vibrating!

PXL_20240107_004421671.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.b2e9f93201120a36ead0f24d500bd98f.jpg

Pea leaves with garlic 

PXL_20240107_012010573.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.c999e5a628e7b61e5498255fe1aed3fd.jpg

And a green mango with freshly made chilli salt.

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 1

@liamsaunt, your dinner looked so good  you inspired me to make something similar. 

Did a grocery shopping before leaving for work this morning. I had time to shop and bring everything home first.
I don't cook salmon very often because to be truthful I don't really care for the Pacific varieties of salmon.
I don't think you are suppose to admit that when you live on the west coast.
It was always fresh Atlantic salmon we had when we lived in Toronto.
Today, the fish counter had fresh Atlantic Salmon and I had them cut me two nice filets.
The salmon was pan seared, and then turned with the skin side down and finished in a 450°F oven.
Made a broth with chicken stock and a little miso, seasoned with slices of ginger and garlic
and let simmer for a few minutes before adding sliced mushrooms, baby Bok Choy
and the white part of green onions and Udon noodles. Added a little chili garlic sauce for some heat.
Just before serving added the green part of the green onion and chopped cilantro.
PanRoastedAtlanticSalmoninamisobrothJanuary6th2024.thumb.jpg.e108f64d2cd51f7a7965cdbdf9214284.jpg
Ladled into the bowls and top with the salmon.
Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 3

Our little Chinese grocery store has been getting vacuum sealed packages of fresh lily bulbs in. I love this soup made with pork bones. Made chicken patties, a different kind of recipe, without any bread crumbs, etc as a binder. They were sloppy to work with, but turned out lovely!  Perogies made by a good friends, cooked in air-fryer.

LilyBulbSoup.thumb.jpg.4d8e116a5577da807d39a392a029be64.jpg

ChickenPattiPerogies3252.jpg.e4b6abddf233f01ad9c795bb21ae12dc.jpg

Went to Safeway for bananas, and their rotisserie chickens were just coming out of the oven! Chose potato wedges and creamy coleslaw for sides. Made a Japanese curry gravy with Glico cubes.

Lots left over for sandwiches the next days.

RotisChicken3257.jpg.f1588c7b4386877816d50f8037534a1b.jpg

Granddaughter, 9 and 11 year olds, came for supper last night: medium rare steaks and waffle fries. They like only raw vegetables!

Supper@Grammas3263.jpg.85980ba5e3f729131f418f5062a8da07.jpg

For dessert, they had their first pomelo and loved it! That was followed by Chapman's Coffee Chips ice cream. These girls have healthy appetites. They ate from the time they walked in the door!

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Last night's dinner was leftover Veg. Curry, which I posted about upthread, along with my homemade Naan.  The naan weas from a new recipe that I came across recently from one of my favorite recipe websites.

I found it to be the best I've tried and will be making more.

Naan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Dejah said:

Our little Chinese grocery store has been getting vacuum sealed packages of fresh lily bulbs in. I love this soup made with pork bones. Made chicken patties, a different kind of recipe, without any bread crumbs, etc as a binder. They were sloppy to work with, but turned out lovely!  Perogies made by a good friends, cooked in air-fryer.

LilyBulbSoup.thumb.jpg.4d8e116a5577da807d39a392a029be64.jpg

ChickenPattiPerogies3252.jpg.e4b6abddf233f01ad9c795bb21ae12dc.jpg

Went to Safeway for bananas, and their rotisserie chickens were just coming out of the oven! Chose potato wedges and creamy coleslaw for sides. Made a Japanese curry gravy with Glico cubes.

Lots left over for sandwiches the next days.

RotisChicken3257.jpg.f1588c7b4386877816d50f8037534a1b.jpg

Granddaughter, 9 and 11 year olds, came for supper last night: medium rare steaks and waffle fries. They like only raw vegetables!

Supper@Grammas3263.jpg.85980ba5e3f729131f418f5062a8da07.jpg

For dessert, they had their first pomelo and loved it! That was followed by Chapman's Coffee Chips ice cream. These girls have healthy appetites. They ate from the time they walked in the door!

Were the lily bulbs fresh or frozen?

Grilled jerk chicken thighs (boneless, skin-on).  Side of mashed camote (MXN sweet potato).  

jerkckn1.jpg

jerkckn.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, gulfporter said:

of mashed camote (MXN sweet potato).  

Interesting that your camote is nice and orange. The camote that we get here in Costa Rica is a very pale yellow and not very sweet.

Made spanakopita (using a mix of chard, spinach, beet, bok choy, radish and mustard greens from the freezer) along with a shrimp salad and lettuce on a toasted croissant.

Enjoyed with a Keith's IPA while watching 'Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure'. A movie I haven't seen in over thirty years. So silly it's fun to watch. With the late and great George Carlin and Keanu Reeves long before he became John Wick.

FYI: butter for the spanakopita was melted on the stovetop.

DSCN1586.thumb.JPG.4562354789efef6d543aafa68a09efb2.JPGDSCN1592.thumb.JPG.9f914d52b7c04ebed4a6bc88fb403d4e.JPG

• Like 9
  • Delicious 5

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Interesting that your camote is nice and orange. The camote that we get here in Costa Rica is a very pale yellow and not very sweet.

Yes orange and naturally sweet. 

Sold as treats in Mexico City....but the whistle is so loud we never went close enough to order!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk-3odFyCVo  short version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkgReb_LSkY long version if your ears can stand it

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

@gulfporter

Not about the food but is the background a inlaid tiled counter?

If so nice.

Yes this is at our Mexican house....talavera tiles.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KennethT said:

Were the lily bulbs fresh or frozen?

They are fresh:
                                                       image.png.fd1282c0720647a202f3573a0663435e.png
                                                         image.png.88f985387509acb7fa5a7bb22340ef5a.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com