• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

18 minutes ago, rotuts said:

never made a Pear and Bleu ?  ( Crumbly Bleu or many be feta ?)

neither have I .  but I can imagine it , noting the salt content of the crumbly bleu or feat .

and you wouldn't peal the pear , of course.

just saying.

No, I haven’t yet. Problem is that I am the only one in my household partial to blue cheese. And when my dad is around (who loves a good bleu as well), I do his favorite spinach, roasted garlic and blue cheese instead. 

Maybe in the following weeks I‘ll sneak in a half of pear & blue. Must be yummy 😎

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Duvel

consider making the other half pear and feta .

for  'The Family '  while they are snarfing that down

you will have the bleu for yourself.  

they might chage their minds after tasting the feta half.

so guard you half carefully.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Duvel

Id love a slice of each .

both look delicious.

ME TOO

I don't think we've ever had such a busy summer.  I'm hoping these next few weeks will be very smooth and calm.  I need a break lol.

I can't remember what kind of fish this was--either bass or catfish

thumbnail_IMG_6295.jpg.a516bb2b8b130a10489273b145be1a25.jpg

Zoodles with venison meatballs

thumbnail_IMG_6296.jpg.67ee6ed2cf16e5ad54495805e014ca5c.jpg

SV'd turkey loin

thumbnail_IMG_6302.jpg.e10dbe7d1eb9359f0d5a5417e4d16b0e.jpg

4th of July was fried chicken, potato salad and cherry galette

thumbnail_IMG_6303.jpg.1586f36a31fc65dbf83c16fe34805df7.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6305-1.jpg.882c8cb482f55f9955e240390fd39478.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6306.jpg.3c5878ce70248391d43441c2bde6a156.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6304.jpg.cf753faa42aaa44ed1620eadeb161317.jpg

BLT's

thumbnail_IMG_6310.jpg.f10a6112523b499f87916d463310d96b.jpg

Big salad night

thumbnail_IMG_6309.jpg.dd22761a7fbb033a5c1a742d6b520678.jpg

Our hunter friend came to stay with us on Wednesday.  He's worked his butt off--along with Ronnie-getting a lot of big projects done around here.  So, a small board of appetizers the first night

thumbnail_IMG_6314.jpg.b09e9b093b4505b454a9977174cba3cd.jpg

For dinner I made stuffed zucchini with some pasta--I used up a bunch of tomatoes and made a huge pot of spaghetti sauce

thumbnail_IMG_6307.jpg.e03591e44fc5eb9f9738cf435ee89854.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6308.jpg.605be496865ab8d2e9efee7a6040170b.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6315.jpg.f3a20b57626ad15360a8144ec3c42a9e.jpg

Another board the next night

thumbnail_IMG_6317.jpg.3ac038645f153805019e4b67ce4c651d.jpg

And big salad night for dinner

thumbnail_IMG_6324.jpg.b3fddebdf78d4b81cf2f8561d24bcf53.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6325.jpg.06f658b3e0d3e55c5ccdac287991ad9a.jpg

Venison cheese burger pizza the next night with broccoli salad

thumbnail_IMG_6320.jpg.0606aab623c5b42f373a2fb5fe5bfb75.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6319.jpg.84382fd3c53e9e7fa58e32744c52efb9.jpg

Last night I SV'd some ribeyes --then the guys fired up the grill and grilled some zucchini and a big sweet onion and then seared the steaks.  Really good.  Deviled eggs and the first garden okra fried up.

Chipped beef cheese ball to start with

thumbnail_IMG_6322.jpg.855eb7bd99469d8c2787bb6fd561930f.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6327.jpg.0315cb01ddf60f5966a7e7db75120c0c.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6329.jpg.746532f017c12bb8b9b4d2067e7528a3.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6330.jpg.8c25ea90f29530480832bd96fee2d624.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6331-1.jpg.289b5f3346b2be5443d76e5aea1cbb63.jpg

Our friend goes to the airport in a bit.  Maybe I can sneak a nap??? 

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 13

My mom bought a spaghetti squash for some reason, so I used some of it for fritters. Just ok, even though I loaded them with herbs and such. Also a marinated tomato and Vidalia onion salad. 

IMG_5305.jpeg

Edited by RWood (log)
  • Like 18

Happy Bastille Day 🍾 🎉 

This recipe was surprisingly good...not as good as the ones that take 2 days, but quite nice for a 30 minute hack.  

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/30-minute-coq-au-vin-3362586

I can't stand the skin/fat on US rotis chickens that sit in the bags awaiting purchase.  I had one in fridge (less a leg and thigh) so I skinned, removed gross fat and deboned it before adding just the meat. 

I left bacon and grease in pan when I added mushrooms and onions at same time to impart more flavor, a bit of color.  I used full size portobellos, cut in 2 inch dice.  

Added a tad extra flour (2 tsp) as the mushrooms exuded a lot of moisture.  Forgot to buy parsley so it looks drab, but tasted fine.  We will get 6 servings out of it. And it really only took 30 minutes (not counting breaking down the chicken).  I ran ahead of schedule so I let it sit in the pot for an extra 30 minutes, heat off, then reheated.  

coq2.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

Another board the next night

thumbnail_IMG_6317.jpg.3ac038645f153805019e4b67ce4c651d.jpg

The whole spread you've shown us looks marvelous (WHEN are you going to invite me to visit??) but this one really catches my eye. A salami rosette! I wouldn't think of such a thing, and if I did I wouldn't figure I had time. Well done, Shelby! The hostess with the mostest!

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Braised Short Ribs (from “Simple to Spectacular” by Vongerichten) with Eggplant Mull (from “Full of Flavor” by Elia) and Mashed Potatoes - Short ribs were braised in the oven in red wine with onions, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme, parsley and bay leaf. Strained before thickening the sauce with cold butter. For the mull the eggplants were cooked to really dark brown before sautéed with peeled and quartered tomatoes, garlic, paprika, cumin and cayenne. Finished with lemon juice, parsley and cilantro. The mashed potatoes were relatively standard but from a Blais recipe were he recommends using ice cold butter to get better emulsification 

IMG_9950.thumb.jpeg.df202d38cbef374bda51cd06a7132d8b.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 3

My sister and a couple of friends have been on my case about not eating enough. 

I took the bull by the horns today. Before I left to visit my husband, I went online and ordered a bacon cheeseburger rare to pick up at 3. And since I had paid for it, I knew I would not change my mind because I wasn't hungry.
So I came home and of course I wasn't hungry but made myself go get it. I took it all apart so the bun wouldn't get soggy. (I do not like burgers rare but ordered that way so it could stand up to reheating.)
I heated half in the air fry of my toaster oven. The burger was OK, the fries were horrible. But my stomach is not happy.
image.thumb.png.d3da6235341c40b7450723970d1838de.png
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 6

Deb

Liberty, MO

On Saturday, I went out to dinner with a friend.  We ate at a nearby Peruvian restaurant in part because Rebecca had never tried Peruvian food and I wanted to share the experience with her.  I was looking for some new taste experiences for myself as well.

The new experience was dessert: Lúcuma ice cream.  Lúcuma is the fruit of a tree that grows in the Andean valleys of Bolivia, Ecuador, Chile and Peru.  Even though I spent some time in Peru, and had a Peruvian lady friend, I never tasted lúcuma.

I ewad that the pulp of the fruit itself has a subtly sweet flavor and is somewhat dry with a mealy texture. In powder form, it is said that lúcuma tastes like butterscotch and sweet potato with undertones of maple syrup or caramel.  The ice cream we shared had just that flavor profile and was quite delicious.  I strongly suspect it was made with the powder.

Overall, a nice treat that has instilled a desire to explore and experiment with lúcuma some more.  Lúcuma reminds me somewhat of Candy Cap Mushrooms which have a strong maple flavor and aroma.  Their extract is often used in desserts like ice cream, cakes, and cookies.

Lucuma.jpg.f5bfb495e0b0ccf796907e1488ec1c2f.jpg

Edited by Shel_B
Clarity of intent (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 1

... Shel

Grilled bangers (pork and herb blend) with reduced stewed tomatoes.  The pork and herb bangers were the best of the three types I ordered (regular, pork and herb and "Cumberland" chipolatas).  Bangers with stewed tomatoes and/or baked beans is the way I was taught to eat them by my first wife and her family who were British.

bangers-tom.thumb.jpg.4045befdb490e86ccb7a447b5933a7da.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

2 hours ago, mgaretz said:

The pork and herb bangers were the best of the three types I ordered (regular, pork and herb and "Cumberland" chipolatas).

Sounds good. I'm curious about the "Cumberland" chipolatas. What are they, what seasonings?

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

6 hours ago, Maison Rustique said:

My sister and a couple of friends have been on my case about not eating enough. 

I took the bull by the horns today. Before I left to visit my husband, I went online and ordered a bacon cheeseburger rare to pick up at 3. And since I had paid for it, I knew I would not change my mind because I wasn't hungry.
So I came home and of course I wasn't hungry but made myself go get it. I took it all apart so the bun wouldn't get soggy. (I do not like burgers rare but ordered that way so it could stand up to reheating.)
I heated half in the air fry of my toaster oven. The burger was OK, the fries were horrible. But my stomach is not happy.
image.thumb.png.d3da6235341c40b7450723970d1838de.png

Cold greasy fries and a nearly raw hamburger doesn't sound very appetizing, I agree. My experience fattening up someone comes from having an anorexic teen. (It was many years ago and she's now a healthy mother of twins.)  Whole grains, avocado, fruit shakes made with some ice cream. A BLT on wheat toast. Real full fat ricotta if you have a good source. I can eat that plain, right out of the container.  Also ricotta is great with cantaloupe and a sprinkle of cinnamon! Cheese omelettes!

Since it's hot I've recently been making Farro salads of various kinds, although you may be in a place where cooking is a chore. After a bout of illness last year I lost a fair amount of weight. I know it isn't particularly healthy, but I put back on weight by indulging, among other things, in root beer floats, especially when the weather was hot.How about  a cocktail with  nuts and cheese? Cheers to you!

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Smithy said:

The whole spread you've shown us looks marvelous (WHEN are you going to invite me to visit??) but this one really catches my eye. A salami rosette! I wouldn't think of such a thing, and if I did I wouldn't figure I had time. Well done, Shelby! The hostess with the mostest!

You're so sweet!  But I'm really not.  I ran across someone else's pic of a charc. board and googled how to make the roses like they had done.  Super easy.  If I can do it anyone can lol.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Norm Matthews

that cake looks mighty fine to me .

Yep. I'd dig in in a heartbeat!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

I made myself a cake.  I should stick to sheet cakes. I have never had any luck making a stacked cake look good.  I also made breaded pork chops and potato pancakes. Charlie wanted YumYum sauce with instead of a gravy so I ate mine plain. 

IMG_1710.jpg

IMG_1711.jpg

IMG_1712.jpg

Me three

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Roasted Cauliflower, Paneer, and mixed Lentil Salad from Nik Sharma’s Season - you cook green and black lentils and in parallel roast cauliflower and paneer in the oven. Mix both together with scallions and finish with a cilantro oil dressing made by mixing olive oil, cilantro, fresno chili, lime juice and coriander seeds in a blender.

IMG_9958.thumb.jpeg.cc15dd58f10662753070ed7c8e1d98df.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Smithy said:

Sounds good. I'm curious about the "Cumberland" chipolatas. What are they, what seasonings?

Chipolatas are typically thinner sausages. The Cumberland recipe has a lot of black pepper in the profile, not sure what else. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

16 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Chipolatas are typically thinner sausages. The Cumberland recipe has a lot of black pepper in the profile, not sure what else. 

Traditional Cumberland sausage is a protected species under British and EU law (Protected Geographical Indication (PGI)). It is made in Cumbria from chopped pork as opposed the more common minced/ground pork. It must be 80%-98% meat and flavoured with both white and black pepper, thyme, sage, mutmeg and cayenne. It is noted for not being separated into links, but comes in long coils and is sold by length.

Traditional Cumberland Sausages can be made without these restrictions from almost anything, but cannot use the word 'traditional' or the PGI tag.

Cumberland chipolatas is meaningless.

Caveat Emptor.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

as in my salads using similar ingredients at the tomato // sardine dish , Ive added

no added salt seasoning mixes to the spinach 

curry powder is especially nice  .  I have three that are fresher that the several from Penzey's :

IMG_4306.thumb.jpeg.4cc77cb97bf7589c55b8a449352b964f.jpeg

the one on the R came from Amazon w the S&B .  it filled out my order for free shipping .  its very nice !

all three are different , and all three are very tasty in this prep.  Im going to re-order my set from Penzey's 

soon.   they still have flavor , but not a lot of aroma.   there are Indian stores near me .  I might stop by and see 

what concoctions they offer .  as soon as it get significantly cooler.

• Like 6