• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

On 1/20/2024 at 8:05 PM, C. sapidus said:

For the Packer game Mrs. C made beer brats, served with sauerkraut and grainy mustard. Troegs doppelbock to go with.

Funny, I thought that was a 49ers' game.

• Haha 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 hours ago, chromedome said:

Thanks for the reminder. A little while back, when my GF and I visited our area's first-ever Popeye's to see what the fuss was about, the red beans and rice were her favorite thing. She can't eat pork any more for medical reasons, but the bacon fat in the rb&r thankfully didn't trigger a flare of her rheumatoid arthritis. I told her that I'd make it for her at home one day with RA-friendly ingredients, and promptly forgot.

I'll probably run with that recipe as a base, but use Beyond Sausage and a cured rabbit for the meats. It's certainly good weather for it!

It wouldn't totally work with mods.  I can't stand andouille sausage so we used fresh local sausage from our local grocery store.  I cooked it sousvide and only added it to the bags as we froze them.  They didn't contribute to the main dish at all!  (My wife won't eat the sausage)

The ham is there 100% for flavor and fat - so anything that would provide that would be fine.  It's basically a ham stock with the holy trinity of veg.

We've made it with a smoked ham hook per the recipe,  This time it was Berkshire ham from December - we froze the bone section and put in a bunch of fatty meat as well.

31 minutes ago, Raamo said:

It wouldn't totally work with mods.  I can't stand andouille sausage so we used fresh local sausage from our local grocery store.  I cooked it sousvide and only added it to the bags as we froze them.  They didn't contribute to the main dish at all!  (My wife won't eat the sausage)

The ham is there 100% for flavor and fat - so anything that would provide that would be fine.  It's basically a ham stock with the holy trinity of veg.

We've made it with a smoked ham hook per the recipe,  This time it was Berkshire ham from December - we froze the bone section and put in a bunch of fatty meat as well.

RB&R is a pretty forgiving dish. I am not fond of andouille sausage either so I don't use it. I make a ham stock often and just use that to cook my beans; for that  I use ham shanks or smoked pork neck. When the stock is done I remove the meat and pick it off the bones and freeze it along with the stock. Another trick is to use smoked turkey and avoid the pork altogether. Or use pork for stock and then add the smoked turkey for meat. But I have no doubt rabbit can be worked in somehow.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2024 at 6:28 AM, rotuts said:

@Dejah

the Big Easy was probably invented just for your char sui

every time I see them , I think of the BE I almost got .

almost.

And I bought the Big Easy all those years ago as a tandoori oven for naan!
But for char siu, it's perfect!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

3 hours ago, gulfporter said:

Andouille sausage with cannellini beans.  

andouille.jpg

This looks lovely!
We had a cheaper version last night. I was tired out after making 3 doz Char Siu Baos!  Microwave cooking at its finest: Costco Polish weiner in Brioche bun, can of Pork 'n' Beans, and ramped up coleslaw. I had raw onions with my dog.

DogBeans3405.jpg.ea6929766faaec80633ee301b55faba8.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Plenty of summer vegetables either growing or at the shops so I made ratatouille. Hubby cooked a pork chop on the BBQ and we also had mashed potato and broccolini as sides. 

B23717EB-F624-4628-B942-D6547B0B8B62.jpeg.ad58c7da90ab3a8667b5e0808eff0a56.jpegA85AE106-95BF-4668-B3F9-037AE07E4C80.jpeg.e2c242d20973f615d53fe69dd1b4e76b.jpeg

• Like 19

This recipe was included in a Kansas City Star article ( Jan 21, 2024) about a cookie found in a 1300 year old tomb in China.

The headline of the article was

“This simple 1300-year-old ancient tomb cookie recipe blew me away”

A quote from the article said:

“ After seeing a picture online of the cookies, Nadeem Ahmad, the founder of Eran ud Turan, a living history group based in the United Kingdom, took it upon himself to reverse-engineer the ancient dessert for the modern-day cookie lover.  Ahmad says he decided on grapes and apricot jam since the Turpan basin is still famed for its grapes and apricots hail from Central           Asia and China.”

A picture of the ingredients shows the flour to be White Lily which is a low gluten flour. I substituted cake flour.

I read once, quite a while ago, that wheat is grown in the northern part of China.  Google tells me that Turpan is in a region where winter and spring wheat is grown. Recipe is included in the blog address below 

When Charlie saw I was busy with this he made Hamburger Helper and that was supper. The cookies will be dessert.

PS I added a tsp. of salt to the recipe and used red grapes. I haven't seen purple grapes in the store for a long time and they weren't seedless.

IMG_1409.jpeg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 2

4 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

I read once, quite a while ago, that wheat is grown in the northern part of China. 

Wheat is the main staple in northern China; rice in the south. Wheat is extensively grown, not only in Xinjiang, China's westernmost province where Turpan is located, but even more further east. All Chinese wheat is relatively low in gluten compared to North American or European wheats.

Northern China is where staples such as 包子 - steamed filled buns, 馒头 - unfilled steamed bread, 饺子 - jiaozi dumplings, 煎饼 - savoury wheat pancakes etc originated and these are still a main part of the diet. Noodles here are also wheaten whereas in southern China, noodles are predominantly rice.  Xinjiang is indeed noted for its dried fruits, especially grapes.

While some cakes are made, they are vastly outnumbered by and the north  better known for its savoury wheaten foods.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Hemingway Burger/Matterhorn Burger (in essence, a Hemingway Burger with pate de campagne mixed in to the meat) with home made pickles, and dijonnaise with black pepper as the sauce. Side of waffle fries.

420784263_10220252279975601_1805284430245779836_n.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

Power nap after aquacize ran close to our usual suppertime of 8 pm!
A quick look in the fridge, and I was able to get supper on for 8:45! Luckily, I had extra rice from a couple of nights ago in the freezer.
Cantonese Shrimp Egg Foo Young A dab of Old Mother Chili sauce with Peanuts added a bit of kick!

EggFooYoung3412.jpg.b8411ebc1b808ca9409b26c8589fae7b.jpg

EggFooYoung3413.jpg.e6ad930be396a8fce76a7a9072419c23.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

2 hours ago, Dejah said:

A dab of Old Mother Chili sauce with Peanuts

Do you mean the sauce comes with peanuts already in the jar, or you added them yourself? I've never seen laoganma with peanuts nor is that listed on the American website.

By the way, laoganma means 'old godmother', not 'old mother'. The gan means 'dry' so, literally 'old dry mother', dry indicating non-lactating.

Mark Twain

More Brokeback cooking. Keeping it simple. Pan fried pork tenderloin. I was happy with the sear from my Japanese cast iron pan. Simple boiled potatoes and okra.

IMG_20240123_184503.thumb.jpg.5c16d62f7a995284194ad522217a0810.jpg

• Like 13

Mark Twain

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Do you mean the sauce comes with peanuts already in the jar, or you added them yourself? I've never seen laoganma with peanuts nor is that listed on the American website.

By the way, laoganma means 'old godmother', not 'old mother'. The gan means 'dry' so, literally 'old dry mother', dry indicating non-lactating.

It's sold here in Canada with peanuts in (I bought a jar each of that and the plain kind, after seeing it talked about here). I would assume it's probably available elsewhere, it'd be odd for them to do a version just for Canada.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

It's sold here in Canada with peanuts in (I bought a jar each of that and the plain kind, after seeing it talked about here). I would assume it's probably available elsewhere, it'd be odd for them to do a version just for Canada.

Interesting. I knew her company do different versions in different territories but hadn't come across that one. Further research suggests the peanut version is also available in Singapore. I also searched in Chinese but drew a blank in China (but did get Singapore again).

I have seen mention of Laoganma peanuts in Chilli kill but I'm thinking that's something different again. At least the Chinese suggests so.

I'll ask Ms Tao next time I see her!

Mark Twain

8 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I don't read a lot of Chinese, but my kids, who are 1/2 Chinese, have always called it as Lo Mama. I buy this at our little Chinese grocery store, and it's also available at the Chinese supermarket in Winnipeg. It comes with peanuts, as you can see in the bottom of the jar.

OldMotherChiliOil3417.jpg.2540de3b138d55fea6a510dd579de767.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

23 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Wheat is the main staple in northern China; rice in the south. Wheat is extensively grown, not only in Xinjiang, China's westernmost province where Turpan is located, but even more further east. All Chinese wheat is relatively low in gluten compared to North American or European wheats.

Northern China is where staples such as 包子 - steamed filled buns, 馒头 - unfilled steamed bread, 饺子 - jiaozi dumplings, 煎饼 - savoury wheat pancakes etc originated and these are still a main part of the diet. Noodles here are also wheaten whereas in southern China, noodles are predominantly rice.  Xinjiang is indeed noted for its dried fruits, especially grapes.

While some cakes are made, they are vastly outnumbered by and the north  better known for its savoury wheaten foods.

I imagine it would be really difficult to recreate a 1300 old recipe from a photograph. There were lots of things to wonder about in his reconstruction but something you said added a concern. You said savory wheaten foods outnumber sweet wheat foods by a lot.  If the original report mentioned the morsels found in the tomb were described as biscuits, ( presumed to be savory in the USA) but it is quite possible that someone from the United Kingdom read biscuits as meaning cookies, (sweet) When  English and Australians refer to biscuits it means cookies to lots or people everywhere else.

• Like 3

Leek Fritters from Ottolenghi with leeks, shallots, parsley, chili, flour, baking powder, cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, coriander, sugar, butter, egg, egg white, milk and a dipping sauce made from yoghurt, sour cream, parsley, cilantro, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil. Served with sautéed sugar snap peas with mustard and cumin seeds, parsley, lemon juice and zest and tarragon

IMG_8826.thumb.jpeg.65372ba9d5665ccf7b98d339dd4ed87c.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Brushed Hoisin sauce mixed with 5-spice powder, Chinese cooking wine, and a sprinkle of sugar on strips of pork ribs. Wrapped them in foil and baked in the 400F oven for 60 minutes. Removed foil and brush on more sauce. Baked for another 20 minutes.

Eaten with Jasmine rice and Shanghai Bok Choy
                                                                                                         CharSiuRibs3419.jpg.319b4df67f4955af81f0439d5e8adf3b.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com