• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2024

liuzhou

23 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Salmon sando with red cabbage kimchi slaw

72F44169-2184-44B2-A015-4D4170281E1D_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.ea025425bd0024a143139aa8b22f0e1d.jpeg

Did you make the kimchi slaw? If so, how? (I'm on a kimchi kick these days.)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

Did you make the kimchi slaw? If so, how? (I'm on a kimchi kick these days.)

This was my most minimal version for lazy people.  Put some kimchi and kimchi juice in a bowl.  Use kitchen shears to chop it up fairly finely right in the bowl to avoid a stinky cutting board and wastage of kimchi juice.  Add mayo to make a dressing. Can be mostly mayo with a little kimchi or mostly kimchi with a little mayo. Toss with finely sliced cabbage of any sort.  That's it. 

Less minimal would include julienne carrots, multiple types of cabbage, or even Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced green onions, sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds, cilantro, gochugaru, etc. but minimal gets the job done.

Today's lunch.  Spaghetti with tomato sauce and hot Italian sausage. Hit the spot.

D6EE2D72-A48E-43C1-9CAF-A6F6209145C8_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.2aae76077c32c3a0d268e97a3249709a.jpeg

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 3

17 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

This was my most minimal version for lazy people.  Put some kimchi and kimchi juice in a bowl.  Use kitchen shears to chop it up fairly finely right in the bowl to avoid a stinky cutting board and wastage of kimchi juice.  Add mayo to make a dressing. Can be mostly mayo with a little kimchi or mostly kimchi with a little mayo. Toss with finely sliced cabbage of any sort.  That's it. 

Less minimal would include julienne carrots, multiple types of cabbage, or even Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced green onions, sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds, cilantro, gochugaru, etc. but minimal gets the job done.

Today's lunch.  Spaghetti with tomato sauce and hot Italian sausage. Hit the spot.

D6EE2D72-A48E-43C1-9CAF-A6F6209145C8_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.2aae76077c32c3a0d268e97a3249709a.jpeg

I'm craving spaghetti and meatballs.  Looks sooooo goooood!

• Thanks 1

On 1/13/2024 at 3:51 PM, Kerala said:

Momo in kwati. My Nepalese heritage by marriage.

We lived in Bangalore, India with our three oldest children for a few years a while back. Several of our favorite restaurants were Nepalese and Manipurian-influenced, and momos were our favorite! When we moved stateside for a time, it took a while to stop calling every dumpling/dim-sum we saw momo.

Looks fantastic!

• Like 2

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

One day when I was sick recently, I had a notion that a pepperoni pizza would taste good so the other day when I went to TJ's I picked up a blob of their pizza dough and some pepperoni.  Today, I used half of the dough,  sauce from the freezer, mozz, pep and made myself this little 10-incher. 

AB78876E-924D-4216-9A8C-31D1486F7A7C_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.8391119e6117dad4aab6052234aadf5a.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 8

Riffing on a recipe in Nik Sharma's Veg-Table for Chicken Katsu with Poppy Seed Coleslaw, I subbed a piece of halibut from this week's fish share for the chicken.

0C53DA63-99A4-409E-BA04-98F2F4EE5397_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.5bb2904dd6cfa2541ac510cd428db2fe.jpeg

The slaw has cabbage, red bell pepper, apple, scallions and cilantro, dressed with rice vinegar, maple syrup, poppy seeds, Aleppo pepper and black pepper and worked well with the fish.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 5

35 minutes ago, FrogPrincesse said:

That looks delicious, @blue_dolphin. Can you share some details about how you prepared the katsu?

Thanks!  I followed the book recipe for seasoned panko (onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne, S & P) Dipped the fish in beaten egg, then the panko and sautéed in avocado oil. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Riffing on a recipe in Nik Sharma's Veg-Table for Chicken Katsu with Poppy Seed Coleslaw, I subbed a piece of halibut from this week's fish share for the chicken.

You always impress me with your substitutions.  I have to follow a recipe exactly for the first time, but you are giving me inspiration.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Used the rest of my TJ's pizza dough blob to make this one:

6F16E719-2928-4416-AB75-EEF3B68A93EC_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.28231d1a4b172f358e14c8dc31fe39c8.jpeg

Pesto, shrimp, red bell pepper, red onion and feta.

I love the idea of this pizza. Did you put the shrimp on raw or add them (cooked) after the pizza was done.

13 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

I love the idea of this pizza. Did you put the shrimp on raw or add them (cooked) after the pizza was done.

These were frozen, raw shrimp. I rinsed them briefly to get rid of the ice coating, patted dry and put them on mostly frozen. It’s a bit of a balancing act, depending on the size of the shrimp, thickness of the dough and oven temp so they get cooked but don’t turn into erasers.
I've sometimes used frozen, cooked shrimp and put them on part way so they just get nice and hot but not overcooked. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

These were frozen, raw shrimp. I rinsed them briefly to get rid of the ice coating, patted dry and put them on mostly frozen. It’s a bit of a balancing act, depending on the size of the shrimp, thickness of the dough and oven temp so they get cooked but don’t turn into erasers.
I've sometimes used frozen, cooked shrimp and put them on part way so they just get nice and hot but not overcooked. 

Good to know. I used to get pizza from small indendent place where the shrimp was perfect. The I moved and made the mistake of ordering the same sort of pizza from Boston Pizza. Uggh - tiny, cocktail shrimp cooked beyond overdone. Turned me off shrimp on pizza but I will try your method.

• Like 1

File this under the heading of, Why Didn't I Think of That!?!

Sandwich at Time Market in Tucson (part deli, part upscale wines, part in-house bakery).

Grilled chicken sandwich with avocado, cheese, spicy aioli on fresh rustic bread.  But the most amazing part of the sandwich was a layer of a green chili tamal made with fresh corn that was smashed down and fried up crisp.   

fyi, tamal is the proper spelling/name in Mexico.  There is no word 'tamale', tamal is singular, tamales is the plural.  

tm1.jpg

Edited by gulfporter
add photo (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 2

I call this thing the "fridge cleanup pie". Effectively got rid of:

• some hen meat from stock making (still had some flavour)
  • a bit of pork belly
  • a can of tomatoes
  • 3 slices of cheddar
  • 2 potatoes
  • some baked and pickled paprika

The filling itself was a tad too fat, but it reminded me of rillettes - because that's what it ended up being, but with tomatoes and paprika. Wish I had some crisp salad to lighten it but I am happy I got the fridge cleared out. I'd probably cut the pork out, it took the hen meat over totally, still got tons to learn. Wish I crisped up the potatoes some more; they were soft and tender instead.

Where do you people learn to photograph food by the way?

IMG_20240121_134844.thumb.jpg.cc21b27b06f1699dc7a4c656f0b7cd94.jpg

Edited by PetarG (log)
  • Like 2

Had husband’s daughter over for Sunday lunch. I used the side burner on our new BBQ and burnt the fish cakes. Still we ate them with an Asian salad. I used mashed potato and tinned crab for the fish cakes, added 88418781-3217-477C-8991-88998DE639C1.jpeg.040ac791431e9af3de22025a686045f9.jpeglemon grass, coriander and fish sauce. 

• Like 10

Having one of these for lunch! I made 3 dozen yesterday. Sent out 2.5 dozens to family, grandkids, friends, and have 6 left for us. I had the one that "burst"...                                   

Baos3402.jpg.5c5fbdbcb0be8df6e260b3d2ceb0acf8.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Made enough salsa negra for a few meals. Morita (dried chipotle) and pasilla chiles, fried in oil and soaked in a syrup of brown sugar and molasses. Garlic cloves, fried until golden brown. Whomped in the Preethi with crushed fire-roasted tomatoes, and then simmered for 20 minutes until dark and thick. One of my favorite sauces ever: hot, sweet, smoky and mysterious. Quite different than if made with canned chipotles in adobo.

Salsa_negra_202401.thumb.jpg.840107265964da886cc6172083baf946.jpg

Shrimp and green bean tacos with salsa negra, cinnamon, cumin, Mexican oregano, and a little crema.

IMG_7532.thumb.jpg.2a0375159c40544f8002b222dda8c905.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

Doctored up some ratatouille to make it more like caponata, meaning I added olives and a little red wine vinegar (didn’t have any capers) Some recipes say to add raisins to caponata for a touch of sweetness but I have never done this. Added a sprinkle of dried chillies and a jammy egg. And that was lunch

B7A1D66F-6B97-49C6-8B24-3EAEFA46516E.thumb.jpeg.59ef5199606ab1f9aecfa89551385a73.jpeg

• Like 9

It was a holiday today so I made burgers and our ubiquitous oven fries. The packet of fries is finished now so we won’t revisit them for a while. 

3D2682A7-B07B-4A71-A0CE-E7DAD2C01609.jpeg.5cec1965f8db02e17c350ad8db23de9d.jpeg

Edited by Neely (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 2