• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

Sunday, spaghetti puttanesca with cod.  I kept the olives whole so my nephew could pick them out of his portion.

codpomodoro.thumb.jpg.3d104095e0bb336899b39af378def190.jpg

Monday, roasted butternut squash soup flavored with green Thai curry paste, fish sauce, ginger, and lemongrass, topped with toasted coconut, cilantro and chopped up cashews.  

butternutsquashsoup.thumb.jpg.97ee2b983e0e61c647b887d091406afd.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

this may look similar to previous efforts :

Local Signature Turkey Shepard's Pie , rectangular version :

IMG_2952.thumb.jpg.5b258243d0d2716d567d4f0c1a308a2b.jpg

Tranche'd :

IMG_2962.thumb.jpg.a73409207b8beb85ee219211a1ec09d7.jpg

because it is , w a few changes .

the slab of Turkey was the same :  StonyBrookFarm , 20.2 oz.  rosemary / thyme , ground from whole 

on the top.

Sauce :  one bottle Tj's Costal Chardonnay ( dry , no oak , no benzene ) reduced w rosemary // thyme 

to about one cup , cooled and mixed w Campbells cream of mushroom soup ( no salt version )

over that

potatoes this time were MarketBasket 5 lb bag russet  Idaho's  2lbs  medium chunks w skin of course

iP'd basket steamed LP 3 minutes , air cooled   two green onions , good sized , 4 iP'd LP 3 minute HB

eggs , very decent'  over spoon ' of Mayo.  

CSO'd 30 min 350 F   the temp was 135 f when i took it out, and I prefer 125 - 130.

Ill have to check the thermapen , as you can see from the missing trance ( tonights dinner ) 

its not over done. 

this is very full flavored , and a bit tart .  but I like that .  delicious micro's w mixed vag

as before .  not low calorie   

I like the White wine version , and I like the Red wine version .

I like the Bliss and I like the Russett.  

tasty and easy for me to keep working with.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 11

Roasted rack of Venison

IMG_0705.thumb.jpeg.61d33a98c4f51e466b967dfedc889247.jpeg

Served pink with with new potatoes and a selection of veg.

IMG_0706.thumb.jpeg.bb3f4aecc5084d6942a951e1c3fd5c8b.jpeg

These were sold frozen by our local butcher, imported from New Zealand, and very good value. I bought in bulk and still have one or two left in the freezer.

I have a whole deer coming in a week and half, shot locally by our gamekeeper. It is hanging in the cooler at 3C to age. Problem is I have never butchered a whole deer before. He tells me it is just like jointing a large rabbit; he was grinning when he said it.

Edited by Tempest63 (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 2

@heidih 

thank you .  the remarkable thing for me is that :

everything is readily available .  I can change a few things   ( maybe 1/2 bottle pf wine next time )

and w the iPot LP steaming in basket  , I have very tasty food for several days.

and everything has no added salt  Na Cl

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, heidih said:

@rotuts The beauty of cooking just to please YOU is no judgement and you get what you want. Cook on!

I enjoy cooking for others. I cooked up a selection of Indian dishes at the weekend for a Diwali dinner, but the Ayurvedic diet I am following meant I only sampled the dishes to see how they turned out.
My real pleasure is seeing others enjoy what I cooked. My ex wife is friends with Mrs T63 and she always comes to dinner with the kids and grandkids, she always comments that she enjoyed the food when we were together and misses not having someone to cook such dishes for her since we separated. (Over 20 years ago)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tempest63 said:

I enjoy cooking for others. I cooked up a selection of Indian dishes at the weekend for a Diwali dinner, but the Ayurvedic diet I am following meant I only sampled the dishes to see how they turned out.
My real pleasure is seeing others enjoy what I cooked. My ex wife is friends with Mrs T63 and she always comes to dinner with the kids and grandkids, she always comments that she enjoyed the food when we were together and misses not having someone to cook such dishes for her since we separated. (Over 20 years ago)

I saw your Diwali meal and it was beautiful. I've always been the cook, but life changes and we can enjoy new aspects.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tempest63 said:

Roasted rack of Venison

IMG_0705.thumb.jpeg.61d33a98c4f51e466b967dfedc889247.jpeg

Served pink with with new potatoes and a selection of veg.

IMG_0706.thumb.jpeg.bb3f4aecc5084d6942a951e1c3fd5c8b.jpeg

These were sold frozen by our local butcher, imported from New Zealand, and very good value. I bought in bulk and still have one or two left in the freezer.

I have a whole deer coming in a week and half, shot locally by our gamekeeper. It is hanging in the cooler at 3C to age. Problem is I have never butchered a whole deer before. He tells me it is just like jointing a large rabbit; he was grinning when he said it.

I don't want to butt in where I'm not needed :) but my husband and I have processed many a deer.  Starting here is a pictorial of how to do it beginning with gutting the deer.  I assume that's hopefully already been done for you if it's been hanging.  Keep reading here for more breaking down of the deer.  Then a few more posts down you will see me make different cuts into roasts etc.  Anyway, I know we're in different time zones but I'd be happy to help if you need it just shoot me a pm and I'll answer as soon as I can :) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Sorry, I forgot to take pictures. Supermarket rotisserie chicken and quinoa salad. Gravy from the dregs of the bag and some stock and seasoning.  Made stock from the bones for soup. Another day of chicken, gravy, etc. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

30 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Pork chow mein

...okay, wrong noodles but I can't read the package to tell you what they actually are.

Is the package labelling in Chinese? If so, if you post a picture, I may be able to translate for you.

That said, there isn't really any 'correct' type to use other than to be 'mein', they must be wheat noodles. 

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

I don't want to butt in where I'm not needed :) but my husband and I have processed many a deer.  Starting here is a pictorial of how to do it beginning with gutting the deer.  I assume that's hopefully already been done for you if it's been hanging.  Keep reading here for more breaking down of the deer.  Then a few more posts down you will see me make different cuts into roasts etc.  Anyway, I know we're in different time zones but I'd be happy to help if you need it just shoot me a pm and I'll answer as soon as I can :) 

Thank you very much for your advice and guidance. The deer is coming gutted and skinned and will have been hung for about 3 weeks in a fridge. I have been looking through YouTube to find as many videos of jointing the beast as I can to further guide me through the process. Our gamekeeper can provide a steady supply of venison throughout the year, Roe deer during the season and muntjac all year round and the cost is minor compared to buying meat from a butcher.

I'm looking forward to the challenge of playing butcher, and then the subsequent cooking.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tempest63 said:

Thank you very much for your advice and guidance. The deer is coming gutted and skinned and will have been hung for about 3 weeks in a fridge. I have been looking through YouTube to find as many videos of jointing the beast as I can to further guide me through the process. Our gamekeeper can provide a steady supply of venison throughout the year, Roe deer during the season and muntjac all year round and the cost is minor compared to buying meat from a butcher.

I'm looking forward to the challenge of playing butcher, and then the subsequent cooking.

I'm sure you'll do great!  Good luck :) 

• Like 2

Week ago I posted here a version of 宫保鸡丁 (gōng bǎo jī dīng), Kung-po Chicken in America. That one was OK but not great.

Tonight I tried again and bought this from an actual Sichuan restaurant. It was freaking hot and freakin good. Maybe the best I've eaten outside Chengdu, Sichuan's capital.

gbjd.thumb.jpg.fdaa82eedd10b1ba18e8397508b4fb4c.jpg

It did cost the equivalent of $5.00 USD compared to last week's $2.50, though. Money well spent.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto