• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

We were having halibut tonight and I went looking for a recipe that sounded good and I could make with "lower sodium".
Pan-SearedAlaskaHalibutwithRedCurryandBasmatiRiceOctober11th2023.thumb.jpg.6f59f52a1cf59be51dc4ab75f983e725.jpg
Found a recipe for halibut with a red curry coconut milk sauce with mushrooms and zucchini.

Not something I would have normally have done with halibut. But it was very good.
Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 5

12 hours ago, Ann_T said:
We were having halibut tonight and I went looking for a recipe that sounded good and I could make with "lower sodium".
Pan-SearedAlaskaHalibutwithRedCurryandBasmatiRiceOctober11th2023.thumb.jpg.6f59f52a1cf59be51dc4ab75f983e725.jpg
Found a recipe for halibut with a red curry coconut milk sauce with mushrooms and zucchini.

Not something I would have normally have done with halibut. But it was very good.

Do you make your own red curry paste?  Most packaged pastes have a good amount of sodium in them.

Butternut squash ravioli (made in-house at a Tucson Italian deli).  Simple sauce of browned butter, sage, roasted garlic.  Sprinkle of parm.  

rav1.jpg

Edited by gulfporter (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 3

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

Do you make your own red curry paste?  Most packaged pastes have a good amount of sodium in them.

No, I don't.  And yes they do.  I have two different brands on hand and both had different  amounts of sodium.  Neither what would be considered low sodium.

But I reduced the amount and I diluted with no salt chicken broth.  The new way of life is a low sodium diet not a No sodium diet

and I am keeping track of the number of mg of sodium in each meal and daily limit.   So far we are coming in under the recommended amount.

As long as you read labels and are conscious of salt content it is easy to make the adjustments. 

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Captain said:

Bangers and some other stuff.

IMG_20231012_201612.thumb.jpg.563abf0c7257c4b5ea9b1feb5942c6b4.jpg

Is that pumpkin o some sort? Roasted or?  Getting cold here and you guys seem pretty keen on the hard squash,

My parents are visiting over the weekend, and my father is very much into soups. Made a big batch of curried pumpkin soup and and even larger batch of duck phở, the latter being our dinner tonight.

IMG_1080.thumb.jpeg.3221b0a45ad4a312f57a5733e6399390.jpeg

Duck broth with aromatics, leg meat, bean sprouts, rice noodles, cilantro & mint. Sriracha later added …

No complaints 🤗

• Like 17
  • Delicious 4

Deboned chicken legs stuffed with chard,, mustard greens, sausage, onion, peppers and garlic.

Served with pierogis and garden tomato salad.

Enjoyed with a Garrison Brewing Hefe Weizen unfiltered Bavarian style wheat beer.

StuffedLegs1.thumb.JPG.6273b539b6427fa855f1afbff451aee2.JPGStuffedLegs2.thumb.JPG.ad85e564f25d817f1569efab334e8379.JPGStuffedLegs3.thumb.JPG.2d002a8f2ead93e8f6ae8cff173667c7.JPG

• Like 19
  • Delicious 4

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

My parents are visiting over the weekend, and my father is very much into soups. Made a big batch of curried pumpkin soup and and even larger batch of duck phở, the latter being our dinner tonight.

IMG_1080.thumb.jpeg.3221b0a45ad4a312f57a5733e6399390.jpeg

Duck broth with aromatics, leg meat, bean sprouts, rice noodles, cilantro & mint. Sriracha later added …

No complaints 🤗

Those look like udon noodles or did you get  thick tapioca/rice ones?

5 hours ago, heidih said:

Those look like udon noodles or did you get  thick tapioca/rice ones?

They are sold fresh at the local asia supermarket. You are right: they contain some tapioca in addition to the rice flour base …

9 hours ago, TicTac said:

Do those nights tend to coincide with 2+ Mai Tai nights?! 😋

No, it's been months since I've enjoyed a two mai tai evening.  And my mai tai's these days are usually half strength.  However had you inquired "mai tai and opiates" you might not have been far wrong.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 10/13/2023 at 6:45 AM, heidih said:

Is that pumpkin o some sort? Roasted or?  Getting cold here and you guys seem pretty keen on the hard squash

Jap pumpkin and it was steamed.  We love our pumpkin. Roasted, boiled or steamed.😘

• Like 2