• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

2 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

And to make this even more awful, I would hoard boxes of cake mix and mix them with a little water and eat it. 

I was a very skinny kid. The cake/ water mix came from failed attempts with kids baking “machine”. 

My GF went through a period (of a couple of years!) in childhood where she literally ate nothing but cake, and the usual kids' ration of candy and such. Her parents had both grown up hungry, and apparently reasoned that as long as her belly was full they were doing their job; and that sooner or later she'd snap out of it. What happened instead - predictably - is that she got very sick, and testing showed her to be badly anemic. When the doctor asked about her diet they answered truthfully (because, again, they saw no issue with it). Once the doctor realized that they were absolutely serious, and not just jerking his chain, he went off on her parents in incendiary fashion. She herself was so shocked at this (I think she was...9? 10? at the time if I've got the story right) that she meekly started eating rather than have that kind of tirade directed at her on a future visit.

We've often speculated that the raft of health issues she deals with now have their roots in this period (and a later backsliding year of brownies and Diet Coke in her teens). It's funny how we all have our mental blind spots: I sent her a link to a study on the long-term health effects of eating disorders, and until that very moment it had never occurred to her that she'd had one as a child.

• Sad 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

3 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

And to make this even more awful, I would hoard boxes of cake mix and mix them with a little water and eat it. 

I had a good friend (now gone) who would do this, not with cake mix, but with Bisquick.   I could never figure how he could do this without gagging.

• Haha 1

First night back home for Significant Eater:

IMG_9867.thumb.jpeg.db138f5dfb8a5b6313b4e310eba61558.jpeg

Pan "roasted" chicken thigh, with a pan sauce containing a lot of scallions and shallots.  New potato salad containing a lot of scallions and shallots and celery and dill.  Broccolini.

Last night. It seems as if, after having beans in a restaurant, they must also be made at home.

IMG_9872.thumb.jpeg.35fd3ac821e0dd1dcae43ede0ab94c2b.jpeg

So...Umbrian cannellini beans, finished in the steam girl, with Parmigiano and bread crumbs.  Failing to remove the carrot chunks the beans were cooked with (but the celery chunks and onion half were removed).

IMG_9870.thumb.jpeg.5ed322b9b4778121d3e072b41d7275ea.jpeg

Salad with Feta and Lomo Ibérico.  Great baguette (from Party Bus) to go with.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

16 hours ago, gulfporter said:

Grilled pork tenderloin with grilled radicchio with cherry-chipotle dipping sauce.  The white blobs are instant mashed potatoes leftover from my recent dental issues (don't ask!).  

One of the first meals made at our home in Tucson that we are gradually moving into.  

tenderloin.jpg

I like your recycled glass countertop.  I was looking at those recently.  Not that I am planning another kitchen renovation soon.  A friend of mine just had her kitchen island resurfaced with a hand crafted mosaic of sea glass she has collected over the years suspended in resin, and it got me thinking about other similar looking options.

Last night we just did a bunch of dips and flatbread.  My sister made the hummus (too thick, but my fault because I forgot to soak chickpeas the night before, so she made it from canned beans), my nephew made the roasted carrot dip and the charmoula, and I made the baba ganoush and the flatbread.   We could have used a salad too, but I didn't have any greens and we are trying to clean out the fridge before leaving for vacation. 

flatbbreaddips.thumb.jpg.a5088b8fd8ed2488e0755602fb67d528.jpg

My sister also contributed this lovely fruit tart.  We do not normally eat dessert, so I am not sure what possessed her to make it, but my niece and nephew were very happy!

FRUITTART.thumb.jpg.ff8fa073bcaf2bb12e5ce6bbf8c2af92.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Tonight, 子姜炒鸭 (zǐ jiāng chǎo yā), young ginger fried duck; with rice. There  was also an unphotographed side of 空心菜 (kōng xīn cài) stir fried water spinach / morning glory.

gingerduck.thumb.jpg.f4c2270bf5d3eb57dd2101f4a2496669.jpg

youngginger.jpg.2edfb056934490895467111c1e00c3e7.jpg

Young ginger

• Like 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Bit of a culture clash meal, but . . .

Shrimp_chipotle_pasilla_202307-1.thumb.jpg.6e8132bdb724c021eb7e93be84b08803.jpg

Shrimp with chipotle-pasilla sauce. The chilies were blended with roasted garlic, tomato, molasses, cloves, and Mexican cinnamon. Finished with cumin, black pepper, Mexican oregano, and a shot of half-and-half.

Shrimp_chipotle_pasilla_202307-2.thumb.jpg.0bdd0f11982ba577dc9c5a9b7dd76cf3.jpg

Jasmine rice with onion , garlic, and homemade chicken stock. Mrs. C made parmesan-crusted Romaine lettuce and broccoli with lemon pepper.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, C. sapidus said:

Bit of a culture clash meal, but . . .

Shrimp_chipotle_pasilla_202307-1.thumb.jpg.6e8132bdb724c021eb7e93be84b08803.jpg

Shrimp with chipotle-pasilla sauce. The chilies were blended with roasted garlic, tomato, molasses, cloves, and Mexican cinnamon. Finished with cumin, black pepper, Mexican oregano, and a shot of half-and-half.

Shrimp_chipotle_pasilla_202307-2.thumb.jpg.0bdd0f11982ba577dc9c5a9b7dd76cf3.jpg

Jasmine rice with onion , garlic, and homemade chicken stock. Mrs. C made parmesan-crusted Romaine lettuce and broccoli with lemon pepper.

Mrs. C's romaine sounds like soething I's try. Not seeing cuture clash - just flavorful interesting meal :)

• Thanks 1

On 7/24/2023 at 6:27 AM, gulfporter said:

Ready made??  In deli, in freezer??  I'm intrigued!

We see ready to eat "slow cooked" bags of pork shanks in sauce in the store sometimes, but more often lamb shanks because this is Australia. There is a whole section of pre-cooked sous-vide stuff, most of which is ok.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

No photo, but the other day I made a nice vegan stir-fry with soba noodles left over from a previous soup.

It was only vegan because I forgot the prawns, though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

香辣海虾 (xiāng là hǎi xiā) - Spicy Sea Shrimp*. Large shell-on shrimp (eaten shell, head and all, with green and red chillies. I was surpried how many shrimp they sent me. Tastiest dinner for a long time, although others have been good. ¥29.40 - $4.12 USD

shrimpdinner.thumb.jpg.53353b4bbf86a266797d17f104ca878c.jpg

shrimp.thumb.jpg.4e0055da58cc1ff84739fdf59d07b47a.jpg

shrimp2.thumb.jpg.571b7aae2201f10d1b511fc6ceab0407.jpg

* literally, 香辣海虾 (xiāng là hǎi xiā) translates as: (xiāng) fragrant; sweet-smelling; aromatic; scented; savoury; appetizing. (là) spicy; hot. (hǎi) sea. (xiā).

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

29 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

香辣海虾 (xiāng là hǎi xiā) - Spicy Sea Shrimp*. Large shell-on shrimp (eaten shell, head and all, with green and red chillies. I was surpried how many shrimp they sent me. Tastiest dinner for a long time, although others have been good.

shrimpdinner.thumb.jpg.53353b4bbf86a266797d17f104ca878c.jpg

shrimp.thumb.jpg.4e0055da58cc1ff84739fdf59d07b47a.jpg

shrimp2.thumb.jpg.571b7aae2201f10d1b511fc6ceab0407.jpg

* literally, 香辣海虾 (xiāng là hǎi xiā) translates as: (xiāng) fragrant; sweet-smelling; aromatic; scented; savoury; appetizing. (là) spicy; hot. (hǎi) sea. (xiā).

I assume the shrimp were deep fried in order to become crispy.  Were they still crispy after the time in transit and covered in sauce?  I find that the crispy fried shells become kind of leathery over time, hastened when covered in sauce.

28 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I assume the shrimp were deep fried in order to become crispy.  Were they still crispy after the time in transit and covered in sauce?  I find that the crispy fried shells become kind of leathery over time, hastened when covered in sauce.

Yes, I guess deep fried. I received them 15 minutes from them leaving the store, so still hot and crisp. I followed the driver  on the way to the store, then to me, using the delivery company's app GPS map.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Keeping the heat as low as possible in the kitchen. With a few farmer's market items...

image.thumb.jpeg.92f7c3808b42bdaeae767477d3ed90e6.jpeg

Beefsteak tomato sandwich with Duke's mayonnaise, on Pain d'Avignon pullman loaf...lightly toasted only because the bread came out of the freezer.

Some of the best corn in a while, "poached," buttered, salted and peppered. 

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Classic southern dinner last night. Shrimp n Grits: fat gulf shrimp with a light fresh sauce of cherry tomatoes, wine, shrimp stock. White grits just shipped from Marsh Hill Farm (used to be Geechie Boy). And from the farmers' market: okra dusted with cornmeal sautéed in butter. Finally padron peppers cooked on the grill. The peppers were flavorful, but many were too hot for me.  We usually get shishitos, which are less meaty but seem to have a ratio of fewer hot ones. The few padrons that were mild were delicious, but once you get a hot one it's hard to appreciate the milder ones. I took tiny bites off the pointy ends to determine the heat level. If it was too hot I gave it to my husband, who seems to have developed a very high tolerance for hot stuff, while my tolerance has decreased over the years since I lived in NM. My memories of NM are very vivid and it's hard to believe I lived there so long ago in the 60's and the 70's. OMG I'm O.L.D.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

We had Mince and Tatties for dinner last night.
MinceandTattiesJuly25th2023.thumb.jpg.4e06a33a3f3fb3313048b848a648b6bb.jpg
The beef mixture is the same I use for Shepherds Pie.
Since it was a work night, it was easier and quicker to serve the meat over the mashed potatoes.

I made enough of the meat and the potatoes to make five individual servings of Shepherds Pie.
FrozenShepherdsPieJuly25th2023.thumb.jpg.0064cc47d047aae0973d8891e17e2b25.jpg
They cooled overnight in the fridge and I vacuum packed them this morning.
Moe likes to have these in the freezer for lunch or a quick worknight dinner. One of the few things that I will make for the freezer.
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Last soccer training for little one before the big school holidays … he requested “BYOH” - build your own hot dog …

The setup …

IMG_0213.thumb.jpeg.5713b7505726913dbe0cab25786b941f.jpeg

One of mine …

IMG_0215.thumb.jpeg.0599019e7a1f8da4c3b6f84883128bc6.jpeg

Yummy !

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

Some of the best corn in a while, "poached," buttered, salted and peppered. 

I’ll have some of that. What does the “poached” refer to ?

2 hours ago, Ann_T said:
We had Mince and Tatties for dinner last night.
The beef mixture is the same I use for Shepherds Pie.

A friend and I lunched at a most favorite Irish pub in Missoula yesterday.

I had their Shepherd's pie and friend had bangers and mash.

Love everything on the menu there.  Their pasties are the best.

I do want to make my own shepherd's pie, hopefully adding in some Guiness to add richness to the dish.  Looking  for a good recipe.

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

I’ll have some of that. What does the “poached” refer to ?

My method is to bring water to a boil, drop corn in, turn off heat, cover and wait 5 minutes.  The reason I break the ears in half is so that they will fit into the smaller saucepan of water being used.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog