• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

54 minutes ago, Anna N said:

IMG_3073.thumb.jpeg.ba27c262e9fdc6089d78ae825225fd87.jpeg

Campbell's creamy tomato soup, grilled cheese sandwich and Ziggy's coleslaw. 

48 minutes ago, lindag said:

Next time try their Tomato Bisque.  Head and shoulders better than the regular style.

Both good advice.    I trust Campbell for KISS soups.  Simple, classic, clean flavors.    Tomato + grilled cheese is an American classic.    Husband and I enjoy the occasional tomato and popcorn lunch.    Not in the same bowl but alternating bites.   Try it.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

7 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

tomato and popcorn

Not a chance in hell. The smell of popcorn sends me racing for a double dose of Gravol! I am sure your heart is in the right place. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Charlie and I walked into the kitchen at the same time and he asked if I had any ideas for dinner. I said I was planning to eat a hot dog but did he have anything in mind?  He thought a little and said he'd like something Italian like chicken Alfredo.  We went to the computer and looked at some menus from local Italian restaurants and didn't see anything that looked good. I said could make some Chicken Martini with fettuccini and Alfredo sauce from a jar. He thought that was a good idea so I went to the store and got the stuff to make it and it was ready about 45 minutes later.  While it was being made, a friend who is going through a break-up with her boyfriend called Charlie and during the conversation asked what he was having for dinner. He told her and she came over and had dinner with us.  I had just enough for the three of us. I took the picture of the food on the stove while she was on her way over... she lives close.   I added some extra parm. cheese to the  sauce and heated it so it would melt. We had it with some white Zinfandel.

IMG_1002.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 4

12 hours ago, weinoo said:

Walking home last night after a concert, I stopped in to Balthazar to grab a bite.

IMG_9564.thumb.jpeg.70796f3c0c2a2384f28b16b2caa7e9ac.jpeg

A very respectable burger, and some of (along with those at Cervo's) the best fries in the city. Every solo diner is comped a glass of bubbly, which is nice. Instead, though, I drank a glass of Beaujolais.

Why "instead"?

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

Charlie and I walked into the kitchen at the same time and he asked if I had any ideas for dinner. I said I was planning to eat a hot dog but did he have anything in mind?  He thought a little and said he'd like something Italian like chicken Alfredo.  We went to the computer and looked at some menus from local Italian restaurants and didn't see anything that looked good. I said could make some Chicken Martini with fettuccini and Alfredo sauce from a jar. He thought that was a good idea so I went to the store and got the stuff to make it and it was ready about 45 minutes later.  While it was being made, a friend who is going through a break-up with her boyfriend called Charlie and during the conversation asked what he was having for dinner. He told her and she came over and had dinner with us.  I had just enough for the three of us. I took the picture of the food on the stove while she was on her way over... she lives close.   I added some extra parm. cheese to the  sauce and heated it so it would melt. We had it with some white Zinfandel.

IMG_1002.jpg

This is a delightful story of flexibility and generosity, not to mention quick thinking to produce something delicious!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

5 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

IMG_1002.jpg

Charlie is very fortunate! You’re a great dad! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Home made roasted tomato sausages, mushroom pilaf, tomatoes and the first thinning of French breakfast radishes. When the radishes are this young they're eaten with the greens. Served with a Nine Locks Brewing Blackberry Blonde Ale.

SausagePilafTomatoandNewRadishes.thumb.JPG.e45f6fd9981177dd4ac2204e4f3b9d45.JPG

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Why "instead"?

Only because I’d had a few beers at the show I was at prior, and wanted to make sure there was enough room for the burger.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

17 hours ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

@weinoo

I thought I had either caught, eaten, read about or at least heard about many fish species however spearing is a new one for me.

Best I could dig up after some research was a recipe that gave whiting as an acceptable substitute. Is it whiting or silverside by another name?

Enquiring minds (well me at least) would like to know.

I don't believe it's whiting, but it can be called white bait (it's just one example of baitfish, I think).  They like euphemisms (see my sea bream at Cervo's = porgy) for certain fish, as the word "bait" might just put some unsuspecting Gen Z-ers off. And Gen-Y-ers?!  Fuggetaboutit.

This may explain it even better:

Baitfish for some or an insanely delicious snack for those in the know! If you like eating anchovies, sardines, or smelt, you will LOVE these. These little fish are incredibly clean and don't have the sandy insides that some other small baitfish have. This means you can fry up the entire fish (head and guts), and eat them!

https://www.e-fish.com/products/spearing-long-island

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

40 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I don't believe it's whiting, but it can be called white bait (it's just one example of baitfish, I think).  They like euphemisms (see my sea bream at Cervo's = porgy) for certain fish, as the word "bait" might just put some unsuspecting Gen Z-ers off. And Gen-Y-ers" Fuggetaboutit.

This may explain it even better:

https://www.e-fish.com/products/spearing-long-island

Thanks. That lead me to my copy of 'The Practical Encyclopedia of Fish and Shellfish' and I have enjoyed these in the past particularly with a cold IPA.

DSCN0904.thumb.JPG.b0f857461137ba42260d4ac868a2765b.JPG

• Like 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Struggling to figure out dinner tonight so I thought I'd just sit down and post the latest meals in order to procrastinate more on what I should be doing.

Ribs, stuffed peppers and the first new potatoes from the garden --I love creamed peas and potatoes

thumbnail_IMG_4601.jpg.5843074aadd9298bdc67aae8d90a180d.jpg

Peach strawberry galette for dessert

thumbnail_IMG_4610.jpg.c2aa0cd940900719cae89a4f24295f17.jpg

Hot wings, Mac and cheese, broccoli salad, more peppers

thumbnail_IMG_4612.jpg.a7a7105842c273ee1c7358546500af08.jpg

Ham and cheese paninis

thumbnail_IMG_4614.jpg.1c9116708769bc24d0ee1a2a1311208a.jpg

Leftover Mac and cheese only baked with topping this time

thumbnail_IMG_4616.jpg.bace2161075f8c382ff8b7482294885a.jpg

Chicken fried venison

thumbnail_IMG_4617.jpg.2e15d41f0cebabebfe584fbd313e5883.jpg

Last night was spaghetti night

thumbnail_IMG_4620.jpg.3d611b1ce12b65690db3a425c8e31653.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 4

1 minute ago, heidih said:

@Shelby ow I am cravin new potatoe and creamed peas. Do you ever add dill or finely miced parsley?

I love dill added and I could have--there is some in the garden--I just plain forgot.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Weekday dinner: oven-roasted chicken, Greek salad and rosemary garlic potatoes …

IMG_9952.thumb.jpeg.0d4a9855386a55503ea7857f912739c8.jpeg

Do you ever do those potatoes fiished wth lemon squeeze? 

I want to follow up on this post from the Camping, Princess Style blog. Late last spring, in Texas, I picked up some inexpensive but good-looking packages of "steak ends" cut from ribeye steaks.

20230428_183135.jpg

They looked to me like they were made -- MADE, I tell you -- for high-heat grilling then slicing for tacos, fajitas, salads or the like. I finally got around to trying one pair tonight for a nice midsummer steak salad. The grill did its job...

20230621_221140.jpg

...maybe a little more done than I'd have liked, but not dried out. The steaks had plenty of juice and fat.

20230621_204609.jpg

My darling insisted on keeping his on the side and eating it separately from his salad. We were both happy. Despite our best intentions, there are no leftovers.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 4

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@Smithy Hilarious - you having a midsummer salad with grilled beef in Minnesota and me in Los Angeles wth sweatshirt and soup.  I love those SE Asian style meat salads in warm weather esp with nuoc mam as dressing and including pickled ginger, daikon and cucumber with the greens and herbs.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, heidih said:

@Smithy Hilarious - you having a midsummer salad with grilled beef in Minnesota and me in Los Angeles wth sweatshirt and soup.  I love those SE Asian style meat salads in warm weather esp with nuoc mam as dressing and including pickled ginger, daikon and cucumber with the greens and herbs.

I really need to branch out on my salad offerings! Thanks for that suggestion. And yes, our seasons and weather do seem to be topsy-turvy. 🙂

Niece just got home from client dinner  (10:pm) and brought me her leftovers from Nick + Stefs. Tempura shitake mushrooms, steak, creamy potatoies and some kind of salad - so tomorrow I'm more than  set for food.  She has another dinner tomorrow so she is happy I'll enjoy the lefovers.Just have to figure best re-heat or repurpose. https://www.patinagroup.com/m-and-stefs-steakhouse-la

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

6 hours ago, heidih said:

Do you ever do those potatoes fiished wth lemon squeeze? 

No, I haven’t. Sounds like an idea, though … I’ll give it a try next time - thanks 🤗

Finally back at cooking in a new house with a new (and improved) kitchen - simple vegetable stew with red peppers, king oyster mushrooms, shallots, garlic, tomato juice, vegetable broth, ras el hanout, paprika, cinnamon and mint. Served over couscous made with tomatoes and mint and topped with yoghurt.

IMG_7559.thumb.jpeg.f6d547aea19079cb3d9d4b1ab5f77dbf.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2