• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

37 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

It was the only thing acceptable across the five grocery stores I went to earlier in the week. It was better than expected, not outstanding but not bad. It's the best thing around in these parts, for better or worse.

I get it…this is where Amazon, La Tienda, and Despaña come in handy. 

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

A long day and an early dinner: Eight hours since breakfast with a three hour walkabout.

Thrown together in ten minutes from the fridge and pantry.

Naan, some pate, Oka cheese, Castelvetrano olives, cucumbers and pickled red onion, pickled herring and tomatoes with shaved salted egg yolk. Enjoyed with a cold Keith's.

DSCN0920.thumb.JPG.121e917be336b9c146b97cce50de092a.JPG

• Like 8

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Last week I made some testing meals for an up-coming event I'm not hosting. One cup of sticky rice with some add-ins--a tBsp of quinoa, and wild rice, hijiki, wakame, extra seedy furikaki. Makes 18-20 onigiri sticky rice balls. Vegan, no bonito flake. 

I served with a shrimp and swordfish chowder for our meal. (corn, leek, roasted garlic blendered base broth I made last Fall). Prosciutto crisps.

Then made next day sushi. One cup same sticky rice will make 6 sushi rolls. I'll use smoked salmon between the shrimp. Maybe two rolls vegan.

Two and a half cups rice...prepped night before...32 small bites for the vegans, 36 sushi bites. (I offered to bring starter 'small bites'). 18-20 head count at the moment. We don't have any close vegan friends but this is not my party. Easy prep morning day-of. Bamboo steamer stacks for delivery and service. No disruption to the home cooks kitchen. 

(legendary party blooper years ago when a friend brought a gallon of oil and ten pounds of potatoes to one of our parties to make French fries)

What a mess. Never asked, no heads up. 

Then made, day three, a cashew, chicken thigh, egg fried rice. DH request for his birthday. Not at all related to this event. 

Just nice for once having a quantity amount for a quick morning prep. I'll make three cups sticky rice mix. 

Screen Shot 2023-06-11 at 9.23.28 AM.jpeg

Screen Shot 2023-06-15 at 8.26.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-06-14 at 7.21.15 AM.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Little one had a sleepover, and DW and me used the opportunity to finish some long overdue stuff at work. Coming finally home I wasn’t in any mood to cook, so I stopped at the cheesemonger to get the whole dinner setup …

“Clockwise” (more or less): Crisps (almost gone), Bresso, mackerel in olive oil, camembert horseradish cream, Etorki, aged Gruyère, Chevre d’Argental (that was so “ripe” it could be weaponized), Le Rustique, Tomme de Montagne, some garlic-lemon marinated shrimps and my mom’s strawberry marmalade (that my wife enjoys on camembert). Bread not pictured …

IMG_9964.thumb.jpeg.5945dbebf4662872feac3be2d6cf881d.jpeg

Eaten in front of the TV, while watching the 2021 version of Dune. Enjoyed with a recent discovery on ice …

IMG_9966.thumb.jpeg.1f49eee0e3da8da22e482a00bd811ed4.jpeg

No complaints* 🥳

—-

*except that I really need to get a small sofa table …

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 2

@Duvel 

aperitivo fresco is not available in my area.

looked very interesting.

what does it taste like ?

not so easy to find tasting notes.

probably like ground up GBP's   

that would make me feel better.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Duvel 

looked very interesting.

what does it taste like ?

not so easy to find tasting notes.

probably like ground up GBP's   

that would make me feel better.

It’s a viscous, quite sweet citrus-based liquor with some bitter notes. I had it last week on a birthday party, and initially was underwhelmed. Too sweet, citrus felt too artificial. But then our hostess said that you need to put a lot of crushed ice and a some slices of lemon and let it mingle for some minutes. Voila - with sufficient dilution the artificial notes were gone, the dilution and the temperature took also care of the sweetness and brought out the bitter notes. Very refreshing, very good !

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Duvel 

good description , thanks 

I might like that , diluted , w some real citrus juice , lime ?

then :

M.R.'d  , and very cold .

but I think  ( until its carried locally ) 

that its just GPB's   , w access to decent A.I.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

There is nothing better than a big family with versatile characters. Of course, this is not only true in Italy, but also for all Ramazzotti fans in Germany. This summer, in addition to the popular herbal liqueur Amaro, the fruity-fresh Aperitivo Rosato and the creamy-sweet cream liqueur Ramazzotti Crema, they can look forward to a completely new family member and, above all, a unique taste experience. Because Pernod Ricard Germany starts into the summer with the Ramazzotti Aperitivo Fresco.

https://www.beverage-world.com/en/newsdetail/ramazzotti-aperitivo-fresco

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

22 minutes ago, gfweb said:

@weinoo That's odd.  I usually presalt salmon for two hours..with a little sugar...and never get an albumin leak.

I’m guessing it’s because the heat is pretty high in the donabe, at least to begin with. 

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

@Ann_T 

Id like to know a bit more about those MB's

after you make your mix  , how do you get the color on them ?

at that point , are the meatballs ' tender '  , or have they toughened up a bit ?

thus

the simmering in the TS.

Ill bet Ive asked for the Mix Rx before 

and can't find the ref.

the same might be true for the TS.

love to know how you make it.

then , on a hot humid day ,   Id like to give it a try.

Im always off by 3 months on my interest in New Things.

Fall might be a better choice .

I won't be able to wait that long to taste the results .

drunk.jpeg.e89bab68a97d67a1bdf5047ec9e93192.jpeg

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

Id like to know a bit more about those MB's

@rotuts, this is my favourite meatball. Made from ground pork, fresh garlic and fresh basil.  I prefer ground pork for a number of things over

ground beef.

They are browned  in olive oil and like most meatballs you could just eat them, but that is another thing I'm picky about.  Never cared for the texture of  a meatball that

wasn't simmered in the sauce.  

The sauce is a simple tomato sauce.

Makes great meatball sandwiches too.  And if you have extra you can also mush a few meatballs into the sauce.

Pork, garlic and Basil Meatballs (thibeaultstable.com)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

A pleasant evening at 28 oC always calls for BBQ …

Sides: tomato/mozzarella/basil, potato salad and guacamole (because I had an avocado on the brink of overripeness). Usual condiments …

IMG_9972.thumb.jpeg.e595c79afd175132bf27a6c6650636e1.jpeg

Some grilled breads (for the guac), Grillfackeln (thin marinated pork belly strips wrapped around a stick) and pork collar steaks …

IMG_9973.thumb.jpeg.f7d819eafe29fc189125a9c903e13303.jpeg

Second round: Bratwurst, one more pork collar steak and a grilled cheese.

IMG_9974.thumb.jpeg.8b2630cb6951ad7105cbd328047ec37e.jpeg

Happy faces 🤗

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

40 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

@rotuts, this is my favourite meatball. Made from ground pork, fresh garlic and fresh basil.  I prefer ground pork for a number of things over

ground beef.

They are browned  in olive oil and like most meatballs you could just eat them, but that is another thing I'm picky about.  Never cared for the texture of  a meatball that

wasn't simmered in the sauce.  

The sauce is a simple tomato sauce.

Makes great meatball sandwiches too.  And if you have extra you can also mush a few meatballs into the sauce.

Pork, garlic and Basil Meatballs (thibeaultstable.com)

Nice. I find meatballs made without a panade to be too dense unless simmered in tomato sauce.  The ones I've eaten in the Middle East, which were neither panaded nor simmered were rock hard.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

The ones I've eaten in the Middle East, which were neither panaded nor simmered were rock hard.

This could be a cultural thing though.  Like SE Asian meatballs that are 'bouncy'....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

This could be a cultural thing though.  Like SE Asian meatballs that are 'bouncy'....

Yup - I enjoy springy, bouncy and not fond of  fallapart. But "hard" to me  implies a dried out texture or a disconnect between exterior and interior. Don't care for that.  I get these ridiculously inexpensive frozen ones from the grocery store. Perfect texture. Not overly seasoned but they work with dipping sauces or dropped into a flavorful broth. Works for a singleton.  Now Ann_T's pork ones above - beautiful but I'd not do the tomato sauce jacuzzi just because not my thing.  

5 hours ago, heidih said:

Yup - I enjoy springy, bouncy and not fond of  fallapart. But "hard" to me  implies a dried out texture or a disconnect between exterior and interior. Don't care for that.  I get these ridiculously inexpensive frozen ones from the grocery store. Perfect texture. Not overly seasoned but they work with dipping sauces or dropped into a flavorful broth. Works for a singleton.  Now Ann_T's pork ones above - beautiful but I'd not do the tomato sauce jacuzzi just because not my thing.  

what brand of meatballs do you use?