• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2023

liuzhou

Steamed mussels with crisp chorizo and potatoes from a Mindy Fox recipe in the April/May 2016 issue of the dearly departed Fine Cooking magazine. Garlic-rubbed baguette slices on the side. 

FAAE2401-62D0-4488-8364-24CE73952B07_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.7f2dc1954791bffb589d8d75ec28bddd.jpeg

Very good.  The last of this week's batch of mussels.  I wanted to make another dish that uses makrut lime leaves but I didn't manage to find them in time so I see more mussels in my future!

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add year (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 2

3 hours ago, gulfporter said:

We are mostly eating lunch out at various wonderful eateries scattered around Tucson (it's one of those spread out cities) and having light dinners at home. 

In my ramblings around Tucson with mi esposo y mis amigos I've hit on some wonderful places. I don't get as much opportunity as I did a few years ago. Still...if you've a mind to post about your restaurant finds in the regional Southwest & Western United States: Dining forum, I think a lot of us would love to read about them.

Does Middle Eastern food turn your crank? If so, I highly recommend the Babylon Market and Deli. They have tables inside and out, and also offer take-out.

I also highly recommend Bianchi's Italian Restaurant. I have only eaten dinner there but their salad and the lasagna special were the stuff of (wonderful) dreams, and they open at 11 a.m.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I slept late one day and woke up wanting this in spite of lingering queasiness (the bane of my recent existence).  Fried bologna and cheese toasted sandwich:

IMG_4404.jpg.ae554857141d9d99b1a57934d73f64da.jpg

It was fantastic.  It took almost 2 hours to finish, but I managed it and felt ok. 

Saturday was Mr. Kim’s departmental potluck picnic.  My contribution was Texas Caviar.  As always, I got Mr. Kim to char the jalapenos in the grill so I could clean them:

IMG_4411.jpg.a216218491c5f29870a70948e448b29b.jpg

To me, this is the best compromise.  You get the flavor of the peppers (practically the only pepper I like the taste of) without the heat.  Finished dish:

IMG_4425.jpg.2a58487b47351c8a36b85e2f719abba4.jpg

It seemed to be popular.

Sunday was our first restaurant meal since September!  Post church lunch at Westwood Fountain – our favorite local pharmacy lunch counter-type place.  I had the creamy chicken soup – which was a little odd this time, but delicious:

IMG_4431.jpg.60dd43af8bf4ba894f9e062a2fe2baf4.jpg

There was almost no liquid.  It wasn’t dry – it was as if the noodles had soaked up all the liquid.  It was more like chicken and dumplings.  I ate every bit of it, though – it was SO good.  I also had a half an egg salad sandwich on toasted rye with local tomatoes and we shared some onion rings:

IMG_4434.thumb.jpg.afb5404097d0d799fd5a56a5c34a7361.jpg

Mr. Kim got a waffle and bacon:

IMG_4433.jpg.a48f7d90e4be7fc6066cc4e65fffc493.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

My lunch was leftover roasted butternut squash. While I love it with just salt, pepper and butter, I wanted to jazz it up a bit and my eyes fell on the chili crisp in the fridge door. I don't think I can ever eat butternut squash without it again. Not picture worthy, as it was microwaved on an Ikea plastic plate which has seen better days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Turmeric and Lime Mussels from Nik Sharma's Season.  Recipe available online at this link

8417C08F-47E6-4469-8664-1B7E1E1BDAEA_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.c6ad32ddafb95f7e110c66891b0e997a.jpeg

The broth is very flavorful.  Probably could have served it over rice. It's made with shallots, garam masala, fresh turmeric, makrut lime leaves, Kashmiri chile, ginger and a little tomato paste, all cooked together in ghee, then coconut milk is added to steam the mussels and finally finished with lime juice. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add link (log)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 3

3 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Turmeric and Lime Mussels from Nik Sharma's Season

8417C08F-47E6-4469-8664-1B7E1E1BDAEA_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.c6ad32ddafb95f7e110c66891b0e997a.jpeg

The broth is very flavorful.  Probably could have served it over rice. It's made with shallots, garam masala, fresh turmeric, makrut lime leaves, Kashmiri chile, ginger and a little tomato paste, all cooked together in ghee, then coconut milk is added to steam the mussels and finally finished with lime juice. 

That sounds marvelous - I’ll hunt down that recipe for the “R” month to cone 🙏

12 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Duvel 

didn't realize there was no OctobeR

in Germany 

maybe the month is called

Beer-Fest  , w no R ?

icon_smile_cheers.gif.2b7b45154e0cb75c51018b20a874ddd5.gif

Of course there is OctobeRrrrr as well as SeptembeRrrr … the latter especially important, as  SeptembeRrrr 19th is International Talk like a pirate day 🤗 - Rrrrrrrrr !!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

We are at our remote location and a feral pig was harvested and butchered last week.   This is diced loin chops and the heart (sv 142f for 24 hours just salt and pepper).   The heart is so tender and mild flavored.

also did the liver with onions.  

mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli on the side. 

Nice lunch. 

IMG_1725.jpeg

Edited by lemniscate
loin, not lotion. too many alsos, also (log)
  • Like 9

44 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

We are at our remote location and a feral pig was harvested and butchered last week.   This is diced lotion chops and the heart (sv 142f for 24 hours just salt and pepper).   The heart is so tender and mild flavored.

also did the liver with onions also.  

Are such pigs more boar-like in taste or?

52 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

This is diced lotion chops...

Lotion chops? 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown