• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2023

liuzhou

26 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

Thanks! One of our upscale grocers (The Fresh Market) sells sashimi grade yellowfin tuna steaks. I buy them vac packed and frozen and then wait until I find the right avocado. 

How do you find the texture of the fish once thawed?  I also am amazed at the color of your tuna - usually when I see raw tuna that's been frozen/thawed it has a brownish color to it.  Do you thaw it still in the vac pack?

• Like 2

The texture's great! It's important to get vac-packed tuna that has been deep frozen. Virtually all tuna consumed in sushi restaurants has been deep frozen at some point in order to kill parasites. I thaw it in a bowl of cold running tap water and it's ready to go in like 15-20 minutes with little in the way of drip loss. And because you're thawing in the bag, the tuna's never exposed to oxygen during the thawing process. A cold (or even warm) water bath is the best way to thaw most frozen proteins.

Edited by btbyrd
Harold McGee (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

45 minutes ago, heidih said:

And yet the vac pac frozen fsh I get says not to thaw in bag. We've discussed this before here. I do it anyway. 

They say not to thaw in the bag because of botulism concerns, primarily.  Although I also wonder if it depends on how hard teh vacuum is and whether it could damage the soft, defrosted flesh.

6 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

You aren’t going to get any spore forming activity in the 15 minutes it takes to thaw a piece of fish. And once the fish is out of the cryovac machine it is no longer under vacuum, so that’s of no concern.

Right, but I think they're concerned with people defrosting it in a refrigerator overnight still in the cryovac.  And if a person's fridge is say 40F, that is a bad idea.

Yeah, I didn't think about that.  If the fish was frozen when it was wrapped, the most pressure on it afterwards is 15psi.

The last time I saw the sun or felt its warmth on my skin was on July 18. The day after this photo was taken the rain started and it's been raining buckets every single day since.
60rTkhn.jpg

Summer savoury from the garden.
bVnfOWt.jpg

Mushrooms (half chanterelle, half king trumpet). More cream was added to the lentils before eating.
JTP1Xhu.jpg

----#2------
Gooseberries, quark, Iranian red pistachios (also in coarsely ground form on left), Cretan honey, chocolate and matcha tea.
pL9F9bh.jpg

----#3---------
Smokey aubergine pulp and "tzatziki" (quark, chopped capers and garlic, lemon juice, cucumber).
4cSSamC.jpg

Turkish tandoor bread (bigger than a dinner plate)
zkEd7a0.jpg

Fish without chips. Hake fillets from the market fishmonger (the same one I always get oysters from every weekend).
w5RyoZi.jpg

Dreaming of Greece. Mediterranean-style food makes me forget this endless rain for a while.
25UEmUA.jpg

On 7/23/2023 at 10:53 PM, weinoo said:

What happens to the oysters, which appear to be unshucked?  Do they get shucked a la minute?

Sometimes I shuck 1 or 2 but usually don't touch them until after the photos are done. Once opened they release lots of liquid and it just keeps dripping on the table the whole time.

Yesterday. Box of 25, bladderwrack to keep it moist.

djUjlWM.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, BonVivant said:

The last time I saw the sun or felt its warmth on my skin was on July 18. The day after this photo was taken the rain started and it's been raining buckets every single day since.
60rTkhn.jpg

Summer savoury from the garden.
bVnfOWt.jpg

Mushrooms (half chanterelle, half king trumpet). More cream was added to the lentils before eating.
JTP1Xhu.jpg

----#2------
Gooseberries, quark, Iranian red pistachios (also in coarsely ground form on left), Cretan honey, chocolate and matcha tea.
pL9F9bh.jpg

----#3---------
Smokey aubergine pulp and "tzatziki" (quark, chopped capers and garlic, lemon juice, cucumber).
4cSSamC.jpg

Turkish tandoor bread (bigger than a dinner plate)
zkEd7a0.jpg

Fish without chips. Hake fillets from the market fishmonger (the same one I always get oysters from every weekend).
w5RyoZi.jpg

Dreaming of Greece. Mediterranean-style food makes me forget this endless rain for a while.
25UEmUA.jpg

Sometimes I shuck 1 or 2 but usually don't touch them until after the photos are done. Once opened they release lots of liquid and it just keeps dripping on the table the whole time.

Yesterday. Box of 25, bladderwrack to keep it moist.

djUjlWM.jpg

A small price to pay for ALL THAT!

Anything more would be sinful.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1

Soft shell lobsters are everywhere. Our supermarket cooks off a small heap of them every morning and sells for $6-$9 each. Takes no time to break it down while butter/garlic/sage leaf warms up. Cheaper than a sandwich this time of year.

IMG_20230809_153538702~3.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 4

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

59 minutes ago, johnnyd said:

Soft shell lobsters are everywhere. Our supermarket cooks off a small heap of them every morning and sells for $6-$9 each. Takes no time to break it down while butter/garlic/sage leaf warms up. Cheaper than a sandwich this time of year.

Being on the North West side of the Pacific, I have never heard of soft shell lobster. Here 6-9 dollars would not get you much lobster at all. Are they like soft shell crab? You can eat the whole thing, shell and all?

1 hour ago, johnnyd said:

Not envious at all ;)

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

Being on the North West side of the Pacific, I have never heard of soft shell lobster. Here 6-9 dollars would not get you much lobster at all. Are they like soft shell crab? You can eat the whole thing, shell and all?

Lobsters pour into the Gulf of Maine to molt. They get into the shallows and hide in the rocks and shelves, then shed the hard shells that they've outgrown. Lobstermen string baited cage-traps marked by bouys in a depth of around ten feet, they check on them every 3 or so days, pull any lobsters and rebait the traps. During molting season (summer) most harvested lobsters have a shell so weak you can break them open in your bare hands.

Starting autumn, they are strong enough to move back to deep water. Trap lines go much deeper - like 100 foot - in the winter, and you have to steam out there for miles. Those lobsters are much more expensive, and the shells are like stone so you need those crackers to open the claws.  So summer is the time to eat them here - plentiful and cheap. I've had, maybe, two a week this summer and the corn is just coming in. I make a corn chowder and plop a whole lobster-worth of meat in the middle. Freaking heaven, I tell you. Stay tuned to this channel - should post in a couple weeks.  😀

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Delicious 1

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

Portland Food Map.com

11 minutes ago, heidih said:

So @johnnyd you are still removing from shell right? Are the shells worth saving for stock? Your chowder - major envy ;)

Yes! And the body and legs. There's nothing of real value in there, tomalley mostly, so it all goes into a pot that simmers for a little while. I get in there with something sturdy to break up and spread everything around. Let cool, strain, freeze for seafood chowder base. These ones I get for lunch I don't bother with cuz there's so many now and I have three quarts in there already.

• Like 3

Portland Food Map.com

8 hours ago, johnnyd said:

Lobsters pour into the Gulf of Maine to molt. They get into the shallows and hide in the rocks and shelves, then shed the hard shells that they've outgrown. Lobstermen string baited cage-traps marked by bouys in a depth of around ten feet, they check on them every 3 or so days, pull any lobsters and rebait the traps. During molting season (summer) most harvested lobsters have a shell so weak you can break them open in your bare hands.

Starting autumn, they are strong enough to move back to deep water. Trap lines go much deeper - like 100 foot - in the winter, and you have to steam out there for miles. Those lobsters are much more expensive, and the shells are like stone so you need those crackers to open the claws.  So summer is the time to eat them here - plentiful and cheap. I've had, maybe, two a week this summer and the corn is just coming in. I make a corn chowder and plop a whole lobster-worth of meat in the middle. Freaking heaven, I tell you. Stay tuned to this channel - should post in a couple weeks.  😀

63 years in and I still learn something every day. Thank you for that clear and succinct information. If I had a fainting couch, that's where I would be right now, thinking of your corn chowder with a "plop" of fresh lobster. I have had too much disappointing lobster (although I have had some good ones) that I am leary of buying or ordering it. I had great lobster in Nova Scotia and PEI but they are clear across the country so we don't get there often.

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)
  • Like 1

Across the border here in Atlantic Canada, lobster fishing closes each year during moulting season. Apparently it's not actually illegal to harvest soft-shells here (which was the impression I'd garnered), as long as it's done during the season, but the limited numbers available just before and after closure (and the lower price for soft-shell lobster) means that they're seldom harvested in practice.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning