• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2023

liuzhou

21 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

This was supposed to be just a taste test but I went back for another slice, then kept nibbling them until I'd polished off most of the jar and it became breakfast!

That's the very definition of a successful taste test.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Today's breakfast is from Tenderheart and may just be enough to convince @Anna N not to buy it or to return her Kindle copy if she already did 😉

Salt & Vinegar Kale Chips with Fried Chickpeas and Avocado

FE5959F4-A3C3-4EAF-AE39-51C5E3B040A2_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.a31b152190206c7a4d27d53e45ee6fb4.jpeg

I made this with the optional fried egg and added a few dollops of the aji verde from the roasted sweet potato recipe in this book.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Kale Chips with Fried Chickpeas and Avocado

Did you just forget the beans or was this an act of mercy?😂😂😂😂😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, blue_dolphin said:

I figured all those fried chickpeas were punishment enough for you! 

😘

• Haha 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I've been working my way through the roasted beet variations in Ruffage.  These options are just lists of 3 ingredients that might be paired with the roasted beets and it's up to the reader to decide quantities and preparation.  Thus far, I've turned most of the variations into very enjoyable salads but decided I should leave my comfort zone for this last one so I give you warm Roasted Beets w/Parmesean, Dried Cherries + Wheat Berries

1279EEF9-8EF0-43B5-8AC6-9BFDE3A595FB_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.3957c2d0acaa40f6a0598c8d66cc2cbf.jpeg

I sautéed the beet greens with garlic, put the dried cherries and some toasted almonds into the farro that I subbed for the wheat berries and warmed the beets in some citrus vinaigrette.  

I didn't love this as much as the salad variations I've made but it was a perfectly decent, nutritious meal and I learned to stick with beet salads for the summer so no complaints!

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

Kimchi and potato salad - quite satisfying!

I thought I was looking at a crime scene initially.😂😂😂😂😂

but I love kimchi and I bet it was good with potato salad. 

Edited by Anna N
Typo (log)
  • Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

10 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

Spinach, chroizo, and egg breakfast tacos with onion, feta, cumin, Mexican oregano, and three kinds of chilies (habanero, jalapeno, and cayenne).

Tacos_spinach_chirizo_egg_203207.thumb.jpg.8d9f880ff87bfb454b56faaf1f54c12d.jpg

As usual - I;d enjoy them. Your tortillas have that homemade appeaal. Do you make them in bulk your'elf or buy them ?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, heidih said:

As usual - I;d enjoy them. Your tortillas have that homemade appeaal. Do you make them in bulk your'elf or buy them ?

Thanks! Store-bought tortillas. I have made masa harina tortillas a few times but without access to fresh masa I'm happy to be lazy. 🙂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

Thanks! Store-bought tortillas. I have made masa harina tortillas a few times but without access to fresh masa I'm happy to be lazy. 🙂

Not lazy. I see Latinos buying them in bulk from Diana's where they DO sell excellent fresh masa. Same in Mexico.

http://www.dianas.net/

• Like 2

With my parents visiting, I do stray a bit from my usual weekend routine: My father asked if we could have “that breakfast we had in Dublin” (many years ago). Had to improvise a bit, but …

IMG_0131.thumb.jpeg.6f0a48fa9d80dab7172030e0d3ee6219.jpeg

Made him happy 🤗

IMG_0129.thumb.jpeg.2f4d3d02296238b5b57b0a8da9a328a9.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 4

59 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Made him happy 🤗

What a great photo. You are a fine son.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

My father asked if we could have “that breakfast we had in Dublin” (many years ago).

Not sure which I find more endearing, that your dad had fond memories of your travels together or that you were able to produce a successful facsimile.  Maybe a wee drop o' the creature later on?

I had ideas for something else entirely but after seeing this:

On 7/12/2023 at 5:23 AM, ScottyBoy said:

Good old egg and avocado toast

I had to have the same...

F90D6877-316A-43D3-ABDE-118417250018_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.60e2af01331cb47c45dba8aa67f309d0.jpeg

... or almost the same.  Mine has a layer of chopped kimchi on top of the avocado and a drizzle of kimchi mayo. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

21 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

almost the same.  Mine has a layer of chopped kimchi on top of the avocado and a drizzle of kimchi mayo. 

Like bacon, kimchi makes everything better (even avocado!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Fun with egg bites in the Instant Pot. As I noted in this post, one of @JAZ's cookbooks gives excellent advice for timing and proportions. I wanted more filling than I had last time around, so used chopped broccoli, crumbled crisp bacon, chopped sun-dried tomatoes that were coated with olive oil, and finely grated cheddar cheese along with half-and-half and eggs. I was more careful to really whip the eggs and cream before adding the rest of the ingredients. Here it all is before stirring:

20230717_093715.jpg

There was a bit more than would fit into a single IP egg bite container, but not nearly enough for two such containers. I put the remainder in a ramekin topped with a silicone lid, and parked that atop the egg bite tray.

20230717_094228.jpg

8 minutes on high pressure, then 5 minutes, natural release, then quick release.

I was happier with the overall flavor and texture; the flavors were better mixed than on my first attempt. I was concerned that it had been a tactical error not to butter the ramekin, but the egg came out all right.

20230717_151331.jpg

I have to admit that I'd prefer the egg bites to be flatter -- more cylindrical and less hemispherical -- but I think that's mostly an aesthetic thing. The bites pop right out of the tray, and it's easy to use.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

15 hours ago, Ann_T said:
Especially when the tomatoes are from our garden and the toast is slices of homemade baguette.

Those tomatoes look ridiculously good. The ones we sliced up yesterday (here in the cold Southern Hemisphere) were sad and nearly orange... 

• Sad 1

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting