• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2023

liuzhou

11 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

One of our neighbors has a fig tree. It gets knocked back in hard winters, but currently is big and spreading and absolutely covered in developing fruits.

Sure.  Pile it on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

59 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Sure.  Pile it on.

My source of fresh figs (and garden tomatoes) doesn’t work with me any longer, you’ve just reminded me🙁

• Sad 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Couscous and Lentil Greek Salad from I Dream of Dinner

B20DBB4D-1C42-438D-A21D-2277263566CC_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.b9b15f65659fb9e97315493f84fdb98c.jpeg

My plan was to prep this and stash it in the fridge to have later on for lunch.  Then I decided to have a taste.  Then I made a plate 🙃

Nice quick salad for any meal!

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

'Odds and sods' breakfast sandwich after being away for a few days.

From the bottom: lettuce, tomato, egg scrambled with roasted tomato sausage and leftover omelet filling (mushroom, radish green, scape and feta) and pepper jack on a toasted WW ciabatta. Messy to eat but worked. Cherries on the side.

And a few breakfasts from last week still in the camera.

Pomme paillasson (or rosti), roasted tomato sausage and herbed scrambled eggs. Cherries.

Mushroom, radish green, scape and feta omelet with brioche and apricot jam. Cherries.

KitchenSinkSpecial.thumb.JPG.09932fbb960f18b68bc8e203d8ea2544.JPG

Rosti, Herbed Scrambled Eggs and Sausage.JPG

Mushroom, Radish Green and Feta Omelet.JPG

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Biscuits in the style of Dame Nellie Melba. A wonderful combination of FM fruit,  very sweet juicy peaches and tart raspberries.  To make it a little more virtuous ,  I used yogurt as the dairy.  It made a lovely taste combination with the fruit, didn’t miss the cream at all!

IMG_3970.jpeg

Edited by OlyveOyl (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 4

Bricklayer's eggs, with modifications. Blender sauce of pasilla, guajillo, and chipotle chiles with roasted garlic. Fry onions, reduce the sauce, season with cumin and Mexican oregano, mix in the eggs, and top with feta cheese. One of my absolute favorite breakfasts (although would have been even better on tortillas).

Bricklayer_eggs_202307.thumb.jpg.03f260f017efdf5cff5e9d4f3098cdd4.jpg

Edited by C. sapidus (log)
  • Like 7

Roasted sweet potato wedges with aji verde from Tenderheart

750762E9-BEEF-47F5-B818-DD17C71D89D6_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.ac8006c6529dc48010c80ba7269fde01.jpeg

I put them on the greens to make it more of a salad.  The aji verde is a quick blitz of garlic, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice and mayo. Would be good on a lot of things. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Buckwheat crêpes with fried eggs and sautéed kale from Grist

82F0F2B1-68F7-4609-97D1-10A7A2D6CA39_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.907735f9d617ea8000853c0e8b657fba.jpeg

The instructions were to put the sautéed kale (I used a mix of baby kale, chard and spinach, sautéed with onion and some diced country ham) on the crêpes, fold up the edges and put them in the oven to keep warm while the eggs are fried.  My crêpes were on the small side and refused to stay nicely folded in the oven.  This annoyed me for photo purposes*, but at least you can see the pile of greens under the egg! Also, because the crêpes were small, I used medium eggs and cooked them in egg rings so they didn't get too big. 

*See that one in the back has 3 tomatoes helping to hold up the sides 🤣😂🤣

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 3
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, kayb said:

You lost me at kale. I bought kale at the farmers market once. Made kale chips. Even they were nasty.

Lots of kale hate here on eG so you are in good company but take a look at this handful of the kale I used:

525DF128-43EB-4AFB-954D-3DD63909317B_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.a7fb0f3364bbdf54fd2d76b54cd392f4.jpeg

It's just a baby - way too young to be nasty, especially when lightly sautéed.  I'm even like it raw, in salads, cause it doesn't get wilty as fast as spinach but I know that's too scary for a lot of people here!

• Haha 3

And while I was defending my baby kale, I was also eating some for my breakfast, based on an idea in Ruffage: Roasted Beets, with Apples, Cheddar and Walnuts

FEB62ED9-992F-444D-BB86-FB1013030A35_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.4d13ff49e909efbb02d68ec1826f39f0.jpeg

The addition of baby kale and arugula was mine, so kale-haters shouldn't hold it against the cookbook author.  Also my idea was dressing the greens and beets with leftover grainy Dijon vinaigrette, and turning the Cheddar into crispy frico.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

My sister dropped off these PC Ube buns yesterday morning. Apparently they weren't the big hit of the 'Insiders' Report' as they were reduced from the original $3.49 to $0.94 Cdn.

Had one for a breakfast sandwich of blood sausage, egg and old cheddar with gazpacho and cherries on the side.

The bun wasn't anything special (texture of brioche and sweet).

DSCN0969.thumb.JPG.ec421cd2d08a23913a3e7912501c8e5c.JPGDSCN0971.thumb.JPG.8a558f49f96848a7461542c88590bb10.JPG

• Like 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

18 hours ago, kayb said:

You lost me at kale. I bought kale at the farmers market once. Made kale chips. Even they were nasty.

I am fully with you, unless you turn it into Grünkohl … then it’s heaven 😇

• Haha 1

@Duvel 

I had to look that up 

found this :

Gruenkohlgericht.jpg.4f927995dcc1a60640c0df7b948e9704.jpg

Id be a fan if I could get the above

our ref. states :

Grünkohlessen (Danish: Grønlangkål, Dutch: Boerenkool) is an old wintertime custom in North Germany, and parts of Scandinavia(Denmark and Scania), involving drinking

sound good to me.  the beer would have to be cold though

• Like 1

On 7/3/2023 at 6:11 AM, OlyveOyl said:

Biscuits in the style of Dame Nellie Melba. A wonderful combination of FM fruit,  very sweet juicy peaches and tart raspberries.  To make it a little more virtuous ,  I used yogurt as the dairy.  It made a lovely taste combination with the fruit, didn’t miss the cream at all!

IMG_3970.jpeg

Now that is my idea of breakfast.    Although with whipped cream. So pretty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

Topped a leftover Yorkshire pudding with the beef and gravy with the scrambled eggs on the side.

I so envy Moe. 

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I so envy Moe. 

We all envy Moe!  

The other day, I made a small batch of the pickled blueberries from Pulp.  The brine is a gastrique so you start by caramelizing sugar and deglaze the pan with vinegar.  For blueberries, the book suggests either red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar.  I used some of that delicious red wine vinegar from Katz and I have to say these are some tasty little nuggets!  
Going with the suggestion in the book, I smeared a slice of of toasted bread with a triple cream bloomy rind cheese (I used Trader Joe's Le Délice de Bourgogne) and topped that with a spoonful of the pickled blueberries.  

B0CF3F65-0FC3-4ACA-A8B8-A2C2E851CFDE_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.613597b86697b1a16d26dbe3fb601766.jpeg

This was supposed to be just a taste test but I went back for another slice, then kept nibbling them until I'd polished off most of the jar and it became breakfast!

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2