• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gotten any fun stuff lately?

Kim Shook

Thank to @blue_dolphin's enabling over here in the Trader Joe's topic, I am now the proud owner of two beautiful silicone turners. This is the one: GIR: Get It Right Premium Silicone Ultimate Turner - Non-Stick Heat Resistant Turner (eG-friendly Amazon.com link). I got two because I wanted one for the house and one for our trailer. I've already used both in the house, because one was already in the dishwasher and I was too lazy to fish it out and clean it.

I tell you, these are heavy and well-constructed and well-balanced. As blue_dolphin noted the leading edges are thin (the better to flip one's crepes, my dear) but the paddle itself is quite sturdy, and so is the handle.

It's a new favorite tool. I hope it holds up well.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I was enabled by amazon.  They showed me a picture of something I might like.

(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

I do.

I posses enameled pots I seldom use, at least partially because previously I had no suitable tool for serving out the contents.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 2 weeks later...

Set of 3 mini springform pans, silicon baking mat, set of mini silicon tart molds. Have some visitors coming next month, so I figured I'd play around with small batch baking and maybe ice cream cake/icebox cake.

• Like 7

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

These bowls are a mere 4.5 cm / a shade under 1¾" in diameter at the rim. Good for dips I suppose. They were sold in sets of three, one of each colour. However, there was a minimum order of 4 sets. So 12 miniature bowls turned up this morning.

But I like them. I guess some will be passed on to friends in time.

bowls.thumb.jpg.8e75d581d449cf65df7e41dbfab83168.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

But I like them

Reason enough! I think they are beautiful.  

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I had bought it a couple of months ago at T.J. Maxx or one of those types of stores that has random food items, bottle of "smoked pepper flakes". Seems to be smoked Aleppo pepper, and I am loving it on avocado toast, cheese toasties, or on hummous. Very smoky.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Delivered to my door this evening. 1 kg of them. Frozen. Will appear on the dinner, lunch or perhaps breakfast topics soon. Or snacking. Or all four.

silkworm1.thumb.jpg.d22c7f3fb271260869b20ec405e10856.jpg

silkworms2.thumb.jpg.4fbaa1a36379b30c7a61a3320bd3ff0c.jpg

Are they raw or precooked?  I've only seen them in wet markets, already deep fried and salted, ready for snacking.

On 6/4/2023 at 12:54 PM, curls said:

I use binder clips for chip bags and other bags without zip tops. That should work for your Xochitl corn chips. The GripStics are nice for sealing the large end of pastry bags.

I use cloths pegs

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

I bought one of these:

Ice cube makers, after seeing a friend extol its virtues.  Indeed, I've now made the clearest ice ever in my home freezer.

However, it's a bit of a pain in the ass, and takes up a fair amount of space in the freezer while it's doing its job.

image.png.1cf179deef4e754a55812ad3cbfcc761.png

Clearly Frozen (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

• Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

That’s right around the same size as the one from Clearly Frozen.  I still had to rearrange most everything in my freezer, but I got it in there.

One good tip is to remove them before the bottom part is totally frozen.  Note the part which holds the cubes, but the liner.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

Indeed, I've now made the clearest ice ever in my home freezer.

However, it's a bit of a pain in the ass, and takes up a fair amount of space in the freezer while it's doing its job.

I bought something similar a while back.  It is kinda nice to have that big clear ice. Mine is about the same height but shorter so it makes only 6 cubes at a time vs your 10.  Mine has two trays so you can make either round or square ice.  It's about the same size as my popsicle mold so I'm accustomed to tetris-ing things around that. 

My most recent acquisition, a Doña Rosa tortilla press in sassy pink:

417C7D04-26B1-4A9E-9690-3AE3DEF78904_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.fef5afe7b3d1f27868a5340f2b27450b.jpeg

It's steel and quite heavy.  

I'm working on the tortillas

45E718E5-B25A-436D-8382-2721E87A3529_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.e7cb6ce261aaebfaf3c670e08a2b0f56.jpeg

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

My most recent acquisition, a Doña Rosa tortilla press in sassy pink:

417C7D04-26B1-4A9E-9690-3AE3DEF78904_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.fef5afe7b3d1f27868a5340f2b27450b.jpeg

It's steel and quite heavy.  

I'm working on the tortillas

I normally run from pink (imagine my current Barbie mania trauma) but it makes sense with her name. Do let us know how your tortilla skills progress. I've never even tried

• Like 1

My clear ice maker of choice, 2 layers of cardboard, when enough is frozen take out of the freezer for a good 15 to 20 min then a bread knife and mallet to divide. Been doing this for 5 plus years. A cheap cooler with the top removed works well.  With the correct ice even cold brew coffee and tonic tastes great in 40C + weather.😉

image.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to a Penzeys order, today's deliveries included a large box from Replacements Ltd.

When I was a young thing of twenty one, I chose Baccarat Haut Brion as my stemware pattern.  Over the decades I am down to the last of the original pieces.  However from time to time when I see inventory on replacements.com I place an order.  Recently I saw a piece in my pattern that I had never come upon before.  It stands 9 1/2 inches tall and holds 26 ounces/750 ml.  Perfect for those worknights when one feels like only a single glass of wine.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Recently I saw a piece in my pattern that I had never come upon before.  It stands 9 1/2 inches tall and holds 26 ounces/750 ml.  Perfect for those worknights when one feels like only a single glass of wine.

We need a photo of this one!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

It stands 9 1/2 inches tall and holds 26 ounces/750 ml.

A while back, I received this large wine glass which is also large enough to hold an entire 750 ml bottle of wine. 

Image(1).thumb.jpeg.1b891f65e41ec61a6448a006b400f08f.jpeg

Pretty sure it was taller than 9 1/2 inches!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2