• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gotten any fun stuff lately?

Kim Shook

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

A while back, I received this large wine glass which is also large enough to hold an entire 750 ml bottle of wine. 

Image(1).thumb.jpeg.1b891f65e41ec61a6448a006b400f08f.jpeg

Pretty sure it was taller than 9 1/2 inches!

My kind of wine glass - why keep gettin up to refill when you know that eventually you will drink the whole bottle?!

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

We need a photo of this one!

I've not been up to many photographs these days.  But since you asked...

Stemware08122023.jpg

Haut Brion water goblet (left).  Haut Brion magnum wine (right).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

My kind of wine glass - why keep gettin up to refill when you know that eventually you will drink the whole bottle?!

Who needs a glass?

p

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

In New Jersey they no longer give out brown bags at the liquor store.

I believe that one of my first profound thoughts was when as a child of about 5 or 6, I wondered why "hobos" in ther vernacular of the day, drank from bottles in brown paper bags. I asked my Mom and she said "I guess they think it looks nicer." That woman never uttered a mean word about anyone in the 45 years that I knew her.

• Like 5

On 8/13/2023 at 4:41 AM, liuzhou said:

I was given this. It's sold as a garlic crusher but I'm having fun thinking of other uses. Knuckle duster is my favourite, so far.

Looks like it would be... grate... for the heels as well.

• Haha 1

On 8/13/2023 at 4:41 AM, liuzhou said:

I was given this. It's sold as a garlic crusher but I'm having fun thinking of other uses. Knuckle duster is my favourite, so far.

garliccrusher.thumb.jpg.9d8de6f954d4905a83566ed9c16b5471.jpg

Hopefully it works better for it's intended use than the one that I bought did. Piece of crap - I sent it to the thrift store after one use.

image.thumb.jpeg.84f70b80cb22b1d9b0f49307a790ecfc.jpeg

Finally broke down after using a water boiler this past weekend, and reading some good reviews.  Don't really have the space for it to sit on the counter, so I'm playing around with that. Works great (so far), holds a liter (as opposed to the cool looking Fellow units), and comes with that nice 3-year warranty.  

• Like 9

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 8/12/2023 at 3:32 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

In addition to a Penzeys order, today's deliveries included a large box from Replacements Ltd.

When I was a young thing of twenty one, I chose Baccarat Haut Brion as my stemware pattern.  Over the decades I am down to the last of the original pieces.  However from time to time when I see inventory on replacements.com I place an order.  Recently I saw a piece in my pattern that I had never come upon before.  It stands 9 1/2 inches tall and holds 26 ounces/750 ml.  Perfect for those worknights when one feels like only a single glass of wine.

Love Replacements.  They've ID'd old silver pieces for me and found missing pieces of china and silver.  Mr. Kim and I went down there in July to take some silver pieces to be repaired.  It was my first in-person visit.  It's an incredible place with a HUGE showroom, museum of the history of china/silver/crystal, a Christmas shop, and a clearance section.  We could have spent hours wandering around.  I took a precious family piece down for them to try to find a replacement for - it's my MIL's childhood plate that she gave me and which I managed to knock off a wall and smash into about 10 pieces.  I can't find anyone to fix it, so Replacements has registered it and will let me know if they find it.  I just pray that happens before she asks me where I've got it displayed.  

My shameful deed:

IMG_3861.thumb.jpg.78b3771b63dab6a2f55b206eda5243d9.jpg

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

40 minutes ago, weinoo said:

image.thumb.jpeg.84f70b80cb22b1d9b0f49307a790ecfc.jpeg

Finally broke down after using a water boiler this past weekend, and reading some good reviews.  Don't really have the space for it to sit on the counter, so I'm playing around with that. Works great (so far), holds a liter (as opposed to the cool looking Fellow units), and comes with that nice 3-year warranty.  

I have the Fellowes and, indeed, it is cool looking.

It is white and is stunning sitting next to my Fellowes burr grinder.

(That grinder is the best!)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lindag said:

sitting next to my Fellowes burr grinder.

(That grinder is the best!)

While indeed that Fellow is good looking, you'll have to pry my Rancilio Rocky from my warm, coffee-stained fingers.  Looks be damned!

• Haha 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

How fortunate. I have been looking for one Denby Baroque pedestal mug to replace one of mine that is chipped. I plan to leave my Denby to my daughter that loves it but don't want to leave her a chipped mug. I have seen prices, that when shipping is included, top 100.00 Cdn for that mug. I keep hoping to find one for about 1/2 that price!

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I got a Traeger Series 22 smoker.  This is my patio cooking area:

20230814_155833.jpg

Congrats! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it. 🙂

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

I got a Traeger Series 22 smoker.  This is my patio cooking area:

Son and roomates got a similar one and are having fun with it. Never thought Ild hear the sentence "smoked beets are  good" some out of his mouth The neighbors hwever are not overly appreciative of the smells. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Son and roomates got a similar one and are having fun with it. Never thought Ild hear the sentence "smoked beets are  good" some out of his mouth The neighbors hwever are not overly appreciative of the smells. 

The smell is the tough part about smokers for me. It's fabulous if you are driving by but if the smell is making it's way into one's house for several hours, that's a different story. Husband likes to smoke fish, chicken, cheese, brisket , ribs... We keep all the doors and windows closed but I swear I can still smell it upon entering the house a couple of days later.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

The smell is the tough part about smokers for me. It's fabulous if you are driving by but if the smell is making it's way into one's house for several hours, that's a different story. Husband likes to smoke fish, chicken, cheese, brisket , ribs... We keep all the doors and windows closed but I swear I can still smell it upon entering the house a couple of days later.

It is probably also on his clothes and in his hair. Agree on the momentary "yum" on a drive-by. 

• Like 3

RE: the smell of smoking.  I adore it.  Both Mr. Kim and our next door neighbor are smoking guys and on some mornings I wake up and one of the other of them has been smoking for a couple of hours already and I wake up HUNGRY and love how my house (and neighborhood) smell all day.

I got the plate and, to me, I think it's a good match.  There is a chip in the old, broken one and I can't remember if that was already there or if it was the result of it breaking.  Anyway, I will tuck it away and hope my MIL never asks to see it again.  I will NOT be hanging it up on the wall again.  

IMG_4171.thumb.jpg.5922295c85337b41f3804cb117ed90f9.jpg

• Like 10

40 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

RE: the smell of smoking.  I adore it.  Both Mr. Kim and our next door neighbor are smoking guys and on some mornings I wake up and one of the other of them has been smoking for a couple of hours already and I wake up HUNGRY and love how my house (and neighborhood) smell all day.

I got the plate and, to me, I think it's a good match.  There is a chip in the old, broken one and I can't remember if that was already there or if it was the result of it breaking.  Anyway, I will tuck it away and hope my MIL never asks to see it again.  I will NOT be hanging it up on the wall again.  

IMG_4171.thumb.jpg.5922295c85337b41f3804cb117ed90f9.jpg

Sweet but now I have "Mary had a little lamb whose fleece was white as snow" stuck in my head

• Haha 1

I had ordered a cobalt Le Creuset utensil crock to match my salt pig.  The crock arrived smashed.  And since cobalt is a long since discontinued color, that was the end of it.

However imagine my good fortune.  I was browsing replacements.com for pieces in my stoneware pattern, Blue Ridge by Iron Mountain.  They had a recent addition of the pitcher in my pattern:

Pitcher08262023.jpg

• Like 14

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Random buys:

IMG_02122.thumb.jpeg.3eec98c590803af6c5c349f9ec9c46d8.jpeg

I remember this stuff from my formative years...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_Taffy#History

Turkish Taffy was originally sold in large sheets to Woolworth's stores, where pieces were broken off with a ball-peen hammer at the counter and sold by weight. In the late 1940s, the company released a version in candy-bar size which the purchaser could whack against a hard surface to break into bite-sized pieces. This property of being shattered or broken by sudden shock but still pliable and soft when chewed is possible because the candy is a non-Newtonian fluid.[citation needed] Since the pieces were both chewy and slow-melting in the mouth, it was a favorite for the frugal customer.[3] A bar still cost 5¢ in the 1960s. By that time, it was marketed by Gold Medal Candy Corporation of Brooklyn, New York.

In 1949, Turkish Taffy became one of the first forms of candy advertised and marketed on television when Bonomo created and sponsored The Magic Clown on NBC Television. Tico Bonomo specifically cited the decision to use television as instrumental in the popularity of the candy-bar sized taffys.[4]

In 1980, the candy became part of the Tootsie Roll Industries of Chicago line of candies. It was discontinued in 1989.

And this, which doesn't have quite the same backstory as the above...

IMG_02142.thumb.jpeg.13ef2ea3f42a466185d6732ec929b4ba.jpeg

But I'd not seen it with the Hatch chilies, which are evidently all the rage at this moment in time.  OK - there's a bit of a backstory:

Way back in 1943, Carl Roettele had an idea—marry the richness of delicious vine-ripened tomatoes to the zestiness of green chili peppers. The result was legendary, and the rest is history.

https://www.ro-tel.com/about-us

• Like 9

Tasty Travails - My Blog