• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gotten any fun stuff lately?

Kim Shook

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Gitta share that I just tuck the bag into a large plastic zip lock. Re-use those. Squeeze the air out - golden.

Could you share a link to what you mean?  The zip lock bags I think of are much smaller.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

22 minutes ago, curls said:

I use binder clips for chip bags and other bags without zip tops. That should work for your Xochitl corn chips. The GripStics are nice for sealing the large end of pastry bags.

These are the clips I have on order...

(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

22 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Perhaps your bag of chips is more massive than I first imagined but I find these 2.5 gallon size zip top bag (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) handy for larger items. 

Ordered.  We shall see.

Just now, liuzhou said:

For chip/crisp packets, I have this small device which reseals bags and also opens them. Cost the equivalent of $4 USD.

BagSealer.thumb.jpg.aea3b05174ce7541c63d7e28f7d075bf.jpg

O1CN0143exXz1eB6Xsdv436_!!0-item_pic.jpg.b61b572b6df52fc7d5371b979ae6639b.jpg

USB?

I thought having a spring was high tech.

I'm rather fond of these bowls I picked up a few days ago. $2.20 USD each.

bowls.thumb.jpg.cdb8829a49dfb4ebd1791c93ad9bdfb7.jpg

The are half coconut shells and come with those rubber rings for stability. Very ecological. 5½" / 14cm diameter at the rim. They are actually visually the same inside. The one on the left in my image is wet.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I'm rather fond of these bowls I picked up a few days ago. $2.20 USD each.

bowls.thumb.jpg.cdb8829a49dfb4ebd1791c93ad9bdfb7.jpg

The are half coconut shells and come with those rubber rings for stability. Very ecological. 5½" / 14cm diameter at the rim. They are actually visually the same inside. The one on the left in my image is wet.

Very cool. Weird that in Kerala where we use every bit of the coconut tree for everything, we don't do this.

17 minutes ago, Kerala said:

Very cool. Weird that in Kerala where we use every bit of the coconut tree for everything, we don't do this.

These came from China's southernmost island province of Hainan where most our coconuts originate. I'm not sure how common they are.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

IMG_3039.thumb.jpeg.86f410db46cba2677cce8f6f4ed8eb9b.jpeg

Perhaps more practical than fun but it ensures that lunch does not become a disaster zone. Carrying a microwave-heated bowl of soup to my table without spilling it had become quite a challenge. This plastic mug stays cool, seals very well but also has a vent. I am very happy with it.  

• Like 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Maison Rustique said:

After all these decades of not having one, I finally got a brotform.

With your "username" I would have thought you would have chosen a French banneton 😃

p

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, palo said:

With your "username" I would have thought you would have chosen a French banneton 😃

p

Well, KAF calls it brotform. I can call it a banneton. I just need to find a place to keep it and actually use it!

• Like 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

19 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

Well, KAF calls it brotform. I can call it a banneton. I just need to find a place to keep it and actually use it!

It is so attractive I'd leave it out, maybe with a few red and green apples. Which reminds me of Nancy Silvertonls several page instructions in Gourmet for a natural starter - picking up wild yeasts - when she started La Brea Bakery.

From wiki "She used grapes, which had natural yeast, and let them soak for days in flour and water. She then mixed the dough, shaped the loaves by hand, and let them rise twice over a two-day period. After six months and "hundreds" of attempts to perfect the recipe, she was satisfied. Artisan bread was then largely unknown in Los Angeles, and within weeks, sales were up to $1,000 a day at the bakery. On Thanksgiving in 1990, the line to buy bread stretched around the block and partway down a side street."

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

25 minutes ago, heidih said:

It is so attractive I'd leave it out,

I agree with keeping it out if you can.  I have a banneton on one of my cookbook shelves.  It holds a set of smaller books, easily removed when I want to use it.

• Like 3

Great idea about keeping it out. A couple of years ago, I put a lame on my Christmas list and my daughter bought me a set with the lam, the cloth and a banneton. I'm ashamed to say I have not used the banneton, putting it on display is a great idea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

I agree with keeping it out if you can.  I have a banneton on one of my cookbook shelves.  It holds a set of smaller books, easily removed when I want to use it.

Seriously, doesn't that get flour all over your books?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Seriously, doesn't that get flour all over your books?

No, I give it a few sharp raps over the wastebasket before putting it back. I can see that it might be an issue if I used it every day. 

• Like 4

On 6/3/2023 at 5:49 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I wanted to like the GripStics, I really did.  Employing all my strength I couldn't get this one on any further than an inch or so.

GripStic06032023.jpg

GripStics are going back.  Another brand of clips are on their way from amazon.

I think that's a paper bag.  I don't think it was ever going to work on a paper bag.  

26 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I think that's a paper bag.  I don't think it was ever going to work on a paper bag.  

It is indeed a paper bag.  Nowhere in the GripStic literature that I've found does it say GripStic clips don't work with paper bags.  The replacement clips that came today work with paper bags.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

It is indeed a paper bag.  Nowhere in the GripStic literature that I've found does it say GripStic clips don't work with paper bags.  The replacement clips that came today work with paper bags.

I feel like a paper bag would just be too bulky.  The area that grips is so tiny that I even have problems getting past the seal seam on the back of some bags.  When they work nothing compares, but they are useless for some things.  Oh, well, everything is useless in some application. 😄

• Like 5

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Yeah, they pretty much say that they'll work on every bag and you've clearly shown that's not the case.  I've had good success using them on a lot of paper bags but that one looks especially thick.

Glad you found a better alternative.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1