• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2022

liuzhou

Those quiches look lovely, @Steve Irby!  I made 2 yesterday AM and delivered them to my cousin who was hosting  few friends who were reluctant to eat out. My suggestion was similar to yours, spinach, mushroom and onion, but I was informed that one guest did not like mushrooms and was requested to make asparagus, red bell pepper and onion. Done!  Might make one for myself tomorrow.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Steve Irby said:

Careful! That quiche is hot!  One for us and one for our 94 year old neighbor who's had a rough week.

IMG_20220820_130606529_HDR.thumb.jpg.1238fd35a2f7e341c83efe60352b37f9.jpg

love that white pie plate. Might make quiche tomorrow. Just sounds good.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I have eaten it in Korea but this is my first time making it at home.
EgXZlXn.jpg

I made a simple version using the recipe on the lid.
3251FEi.jpg

Stir the sauce into the noodles when ready to eat. It’ll look nice and messy.
YL5ZJVJ.jpg

(Already deep-fried) taukwa tofu (Unicurd - Singapore). I steamed the tofu with rehydrated dried shrimps and spicy soy sauce.
lNPk48l.jpg

vJ7SUTd.jpg

Meal #2

Flatbread
lGX15nx.jpg

Tomatoes and Turkish pickles
qi9u9F1.jpg

Other bits: Mettwurst, soft eggs, hummus, sardines.
bPrcb9P.jpg

Dips: beetroot and spinach ones contain mixed nuts. Hummus. "Sugar baby gold" melon.
7nqSjQL.jpg

Bought 3 the other day at a farm in my area

b7gYsD2.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 1

@Ann_T - If I served a steak lunch like yours to Mr. Kim, he'd think he'd died and gone to heaven!  Just gorgeous!

I'm craving quiche now.  I've always meant to make the famous Thomas Keller quiche and never have.  I really, really need to!  

My modest offering:

1-IMG_0515.jpg.5258c170c3583b651fd87b4e377396d3.jpg

A peach from a friend's mother's neighbor (😁).  Very good.  And a Stan's (Brunswick NC) pimento cheese sandwich.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Cukes and Nukes served with fresh garlic sausage stuffed chicken thighs.  The salad was dressed with Lidl's Blush Vinaigrette.  The chicken was drizzled with a quick sauce from the roasted chicken pan drippin's, heavy creme and guajillo peppers.   After a trip to the Dr 😲 this morning I'm switching to smaller plates!

IMG_20220824_124226249_HDR.thumb.jpg.cf6a672a86af0d3595db7ed7299b072e.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

13 hours ago, Steve Irby said:

Cukes and Nukes served with fresh garlic sausage stuffed chicken thighs.  The salad was dressed with Lidl's Blush Vinaigrette.  The chicken was drizzled with a quick sauce from the roasted chicken pan drippin's, heavy creme and guajillo peppers.   After a trip to the Dr 😲 this morning I'm switching to smaller plates!

IMG_20220824_124226249_HDR.thumb.jpg.cf6a672a86af0d3595db7ed7299b072e.jpg

A gorgeous dish, something I would love to eat right now. It looks like spring on a plate (and it's *almost* spring for us here in South Africa).

But, what are the 'nukes'? I'm guessing the jalapeños I see (or are they serrano?).

Or am I missing some secret culinary treat I need to know about?

• Like 2

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

I've been meaning to make corn chowder and float some lobster in it but I'm way too busy, so I slapped this together in five minutes...

380125678_IMG_20220825_1342061892.thumb.jpg.666232731d6fc4f504408604866a9d80.jpg

Mixed up some lemon juice in creme fraiche and sprinkled a bit of black lava salt to finish. Bon appétit

• Like 9
  • Delicious 6

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

On 8/25/2022 at 1:05 PM, johnnyd said:

I've been meaning to make corn chowder and float some lobster in it but I'm way too busy, so I slapped this together in five minutes...

380125678_IMG_20220825_1342061892.thumb.jpg.666232731d6fc4f504408604866a9d80.jpg

Mixed up some lemon juice in creme fraiche and sprinkled a bit of black lava salt to finish. Bon appétit

Major drool on this end.  That is a beautifully plated dish.  Five minutes well spent with all ingredient's being able to shine.

• Like 1

@BonVivant, what a beautiful feast.  I can't believe that is your first time making it at home.  Amazing!!!!

I need to check out that cookbook.

1688701509_FruitplateAugust26th20221.thumb.jpg.4ce88a6ba27483e708447bd4b33947be.jpg

Last night's intended dessert, postponed until today.
Originally I had planned to serve the fruit over a lemon or grapefruit sorbet topped with a little Prosecco.
Went to four different grocery stores and none had sorbet.
So then I thought I would do something I have done in the past and make a fruit plate served with sweetened whipped cream folded into creme fraiche.
And again, the stores that I can usually find creme fraiche didn't have any either.
Anyway, didn't matter because neither of us had room for dessert last night.
So I remembered this morning that I still had some clotted cream left.
So......I whipped up some heavy cream, sweetened with powdered sugar and a little of vanilla and folded it into the clotted cream and made Moe a fruit plate for lunch.
  • Like 11

A local bakery expanded to serving meals.  

The hit of the meal was this Duck Confit on an 8" piece of freshly baked baguette.  They were oh-so generous with the duck. The owner is featuring mostly Mexican wines; can't remember the one I had but we plan to return soon. 

duck confit sand.jpg

• Like 9

@rotuts

Here is their wine list.  fyi, prices in MX Pesos, so divide by 20 for US equivalent (100p = 5 USD).

And also this link to a story on MX's award winning wines.  https://newsinamerica.com/en/entertainment/2021/twenty-three-mexican-wines-won-accolades-at-north-americas-largest-wine-competition/

winesavta.png

Edited by gulfporter (log)
  • Thanks 1

Potato hash with bacon, onions, peppers and poblanos.  I bring home most the roasted new potatoes that come with our restaurant meals and make a hash for weekend lunch.

potato hash.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

30 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Vietnamese chicken soup

Once again I learned something new. I had to do a little digging about sambal oelek and Vietnamese cuisine. I know how careful you are to cleave as close as possible to a specific cuisine and its ingredients. I admit I had never heard of this in Vietnamese cuisine. Thanks as always. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

16 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Once again I learned something new. I had to do a little digging about sambal oelek and Vietnamese cuisine. I know how careful you are to cleave as close as possible to a specific cuisine and its ingredients. I admit I had never heard of this in Vietnamese cuisine. Thanks as always. 

The sambal oelek is probably more Indonesian than Vietnamese - but it's basically just ground chillies, so it works for lots of things.  It's the same brand (Huy Fong) that makes the rooster Sriracha, which is American.  While I don't think their Sriracha tastes like the real thing, the ground chillies (what they call sambal oelek) or their chilli garlic sauce are decent and convenient.

The soup itself though was definitely traditional Vietnamese... grandma style - meaning it's something people would generally have at home rather than going out for like one would for pho ga or pho bo.  The soup I made is usually called mien ga - but like most Vietnamese soups, they're named for the noodle they use rather than the type of soup.  So mien in Vietnamese are the mung bean noodles, commonly called cellophane or glass noodles.  Pho is the flat rice noodle.  Bun bo hue is named since bun are round rice noodles.  Of course, everything that I just wrote would be technically wrong since I'm not bothering putting in the accent marks, and without them, they could be completely different words... but I'm lazy - finding the proper letters on my English keyboard is a lot more effort than I'd like.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KennethT said:

The sambal oelek is probably more Indonesian

I always thought of it as Indonesian but my search suggested that it’s not quite so circumscribed in reality. 
No worries about the accents on my account!  I am lucky to land a few French accents in the right places. 
Although I knew something about the names of the various noodles I did not know that soups were named for the noodles so that is another fact I can add to my limited knowledge of Asian food. 
I have a very vague and foggy memory of a small jar of sambal oelek among other condiments in a restaurant somewhere. 
Thank you again. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

What's life without cheese?
M12JDA6.jpg

Cold small potatoes and cured salmon
nQDzgcY.jpg

Prawn salad
BGvVKbt.jpg

Hungarian "Riesling"
V848Kmy.jpg

Bought 5 small squashes the other day. Only buy small ones now. I steam each whole, then put it on a plate or chopping board and slice like a wedge of cake as part of a meal.
9sNjqUl.jpg

One of squashes on the bike. Steamed whole and ready to be sliced.
QwntKmJ.jpg

zwsK15L.jpg

Squash hummus
4wEftXB.jpg

Hummus with mince (spiced with commercial kebab spice mix and Turkish red pepper paste added).
wtXdHbv.jpg

Strained yoghurt with passion fruit pulp
7omZNQM.jpg

DuDsezY.jpg

Now I can get Syrian baklava at the weekly market but it's not this pistachio loaded. I love pistachios so the choice is easy.

9eP19oA.jpg

@Ann_T, thank you! It's super easy! Just make sure you can get Korean black bean paste (really not the same thing as Chinese black bean paste).

hgbDnQE.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

The sambal oelek is probably more Indonesian than Vietnamese - but it's basically just ground chillies, so it works for lots of things.  It's the same brand (Huy Fong) that makes the rooster Sriracha, which is American.  While I don't think their Sriracha tastes like the real thing, the ground chillies (what they call sambal oelek) or their chilli garlic sauce are decent and convenient.

The soup itself though was definitely traditional Vietnamese... grandma style - meaning it's something people would generally have at home rather than going out for like one would for pho ga or pho bo.  The soup I made is usually called mien ga - but like most Vietnamese soups, they're named for the noodle they use rather than the type of soup.  So mien in Vietnamese are the mung bean noodles, commonly called cellophane or glass noodles.  Pho is the flat rice noodle.  Bun bo hue is named since bun are round rice noodles.  Of course, everything that I just wrote would be technically wrong since I'm not bothering putting in the accent marks, and without them, they could be completely different words... but I'm lazy - finding the proper letters on my English keyboard is a lot more effort than I'd like.

We prefer Chile Garlic Sauce over Sambal Oelek and we freely substitute in recipes.  Had always thought they were one and the same, other than the garlic.  But this website does a good job explaining the differences.    https://missvickie.com/sambal-oelek-vs-chili-garlic-sauce/

• Like 1

Saturday:

1-IMG_0536.jpg.dc5dfbfc3d7fa8fe266a9249fe7f69f1.jpg

An ET sourdough bagel from a place called Chewy’s.  This was the bagel that won the Shook family bagel tasting awhile back.  Absolutely fantastic.  Mr. Kim had a cinnamon bagel with butter, but I didn’t get a picture.

After church at our favorite deli.  I had a tuna salad sandwich and onion rings:

1-IMG_0545.jpg.2f1318996f68fc81fe8e2da03c53e191.jpg

Mr. Kim had corned beef, pastrami, and slaw on rye:

1-IMG_0546.jpg.bc289240870c2b4e0a981da188797393.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2