• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2022

liuzhou

We had lunch after church yesterday at our favorite deli.  I had the half sandwich and salad. Shrimp salad on marble rye.  It comes with potato salad, which was actually very tasty (I’m not ordinarily a fan):

1-IMG_0815.thumb.jpg.b030c4f6578563520bc33cc88049c46e.jpg

1-IMG_0814.jpg.365e02ebc2a6537c1e015a073de414b7.jpg

Mr. Kim had the Italian Sub – ham, salami, roast beef (?) and provolone:

1-IMG_0816.jpg.5d033dae2a294eab403bf30adff2a746.jpg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

23 hours ago, Raamo said:

Boil / Steam the potatoes - when cool skin and cut up.  I steamed pre pealed so just cut up hot.

In oil + gee (~tbps depends upon how much potatoes)  add 1 tsp cumin seeds and 1/4 tsp black pepper.  quickly add the rest of the spices - was 1 tablespoon lightly ground coriander, 1/2 tsp of salt (to taste),  1 tsp fenugreek leaves (which IMO are key)

Wait till fragrant, Then add the potatoes - cook until browned. They pick up all the spices.

Add in red peppers, cilantro, mango powder and cook until the red peppers are done.

Serve over rice is what I did, but seems to be optional.

Garnish with Gram Marsala.

Pretty simple.  It called for way more potatoes / and like 3 red peppers - I scaled it down to 3 potatoes and 1 bell pepper.  This kind of recipe is pretty easy to wing.  You can adjust the spices to preference too.  I like heavy spices so I didn't scale them down much.

I went to Shoprite.  Shoprite had no fenugreek leaves.  I checked Whole Foods on line.  The Whole Foods website suggested green cabbage as a substitution.  Thankfully I had come home from Shoprite with a green cabbage.

Dinner will be Plan B.  Or if I'm feeling up to it I may try your recipe minus the fenugreek leaves.  Oh wait, I missed the part about cilantro.  I can't believe I just came back from Shoprite.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 10/9/2022 at 5:48 PM, Raamo said:

1 tsp fenugreek leaves (which IMO are key)

Are we talking fresh fenugreek leaves or methi?  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Since the amount is 1 tsp I assumed dried.  I just ordered some dried from amazon.

5 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Since the amount is 1 tsp I assumed dried.  I just ordered some dried from amazon.

Yeah. I assumed the same but then I wondered. So I asked. Unaccustomed as I am to hearing anything but methi for the dried variety. 

• Thanks 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I am confused ( as usual). Methi just means 'fenugreek'. Do you mean the seeds?

I, for one, am talking about the leaves.

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I am confused ( as usual). Methi just means 'fenugreek'. Do you mean the seeds?

As I tried to say I am  accustomed to using the word methi to refer to the dried variety. I was not suggesting that it applies to everyone. If I were to go into my local Indian store I would find methi on the shelves and fenugreek leaves in the fresh produce section. 

My 2004 eG Blog

13 hours ago, Anna N said:

It's dried fenugreek leaves, we got it at our local Indian grocery store.  We use them in about 60% of all recipes we make out of this cookbook.

The seeds are also used, but not as often.  They are the source for imitation maple syrup. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Raamo said:

It's dried fenugreek leaves, we got it at our local Indian grocery store.  We use them in about 60% of all recipes we make out of this cookbook.

The seeds are also used, but not as often.  They are the source for imitation maple syrup. 

What cookbook?

On 10/11/2022 at 7:38 AM, Raamo said:

Amazon delivered my fenugreek leaves today.  Who knew 3.5 ounces of fenugreek leaves would be a restaurant sized amount?

Went to Shoprite tonight for coriander.  Shoprite had no coriander.  I should check my potatoes and pepper to see if they have rotted yet.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 7:38 PM, Raamo said:

The seeds are also used, but not as often.

I needed a teaspoon or two of fenugreek seeds for an Indian dish*, but could only buy half a kilo. I have enough seeds to feed the planet!

818209241__20221013115551.thumb.jpg.8b3c67a62a7dc6749ddf8fee17ef20f9.jpg

1800882435_FenugreekSeeds.thumb.jpg.cf7b6f1fb5040e115bc2ba2555488d48.jpg

*They are widely used in Indian cuisine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On having way too many fenugreek seeds:

There is a Rajasthani dish in which methi seeds are cooked like a dal. It is fairly bitter, but still quite nice. One soaks the seeds in a couple of changes of water to reduce the bitterness a bit, then boils and finishes off with a tarka in the usual way one does with dal. If one searches for Rajasthani methi ki sabji (or sabzi) one can find recipes online. What I've been served in Rajasthan was too spicy for my taste, but of course one can reduce that if cooking food oneself.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I needed a teaspoon or two of fenugreek seeds for an Indian dish*, but could only buy half a kilo. I have enough seeds to feed the planet

*They are widely used in Indian cuisine.

You could make some imitation maple syrup: https://brooklynbrainery.com/blog/the-great-diy-imitation-maple-syrup-experiment-part-i 

35 minutes ago, Raamo said:

I've never used real maple syrup. so I'll pass. But thanks.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Just pulled a quiche out of the oven.

20221014_113345.thumb.jpg.35c1b97bd6f64e5c3ef0055b34d4938a.jpg

I had gone to Sam's earlier this week, and they had Gruyere at a good price and in a manageable quantity, so I bought some. Had ham I'd gotten at Aldi that I needed to use, so I ground it up in the food processor, layered it in the bottom of the pie plate, added grated Gruyere, then beat up four eggs with two cups of milk, a sprinkle of nutmeg, and a few grinds of black pepper in the FoPro, since it was out. 45 minutes at 325 in the CSO.

Since my deep dish pie plate has vanished, I used a regular one and had some egg/milk left over. Had plenty of ham and plenty of cheese, so I put together another baby quiche in a ramekin.

I never put my quiche in a crust, since I have celiac disease and GF pie crust is not worth the trouble.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

And since this is the lunch thread, I had last night's dinner leftovers for lunch.

Dinner10162022.jpg

Beyond what @Raamo suggested I added black mustard seed and turmeric to the spices.  Of course the Zojirushi kept last night's rice warm waiting for me.

• Like 3

Harissa-creamed cauliflower from I Dream of Dinner, on toasted sourdough per the recipe. It's just cauliflower and canned tomatoes cooked in cream and harissa until tender and served on toast. 

1D5733DC-596B-4BD0-B755-18CAD7CEC1ED_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.b3a3cc070acad82e9dac49a532bff599.jpeg

This was surprisingly good. My intent was to purée it and serve as a side with something else but I started getting hangry so just went with the book.   I've got plenty more to play with. 

I added a couple of kalamata olives and a sprinkle of parsley and feta. And I had another, smaller serving. 

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

I used to make a mean Cauliflower Casserole  but I make things simpler these days. 
22BCB35E-7E62-4878-87B1-F2FB32B7927D.thumb.jpeg.9f62b277e9b24119ffbe3126884e1f78.jpeg
Cauliflower florettes cooked in the microwave then topped with sliced old cheddar and put under the broiler before being sprinkled with a little smoked paprika. Quite satisfactory. 

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

Just finished cooking a huge whole cauliflower in my slow cooker that I got at the farm stand.  A couple hours on high did the job.   Will have some with dinner with Cheez-Wiz on it.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1