• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How Do You Deal with Handicaps in the Kitchen?

Marlene

I need to find a really good magnifying glass that I can take in my pocketbook with me.  I have two useless ones - a plastic one that fits with my credit cards (nothing ever comes into focus and it's scratched) and one that is rounded on one side and flat on the other that inexplicably turns everything upside down.  🤨

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I need to find a really good magnifying glass that I can take in my pocketbook with me.  I have two useless ones - a plastic one that fits with my credit cards (nothing ever comes into focus and it's scratched) and one that is rounded on one side and flat on the other that inexplicably turns everything upside down.  🤨

I could  used one of those myself.    

18 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I need to find a really good magnifying glass that I can take in my pocketbook

I actually found mine in a bookstore. Find a bookstore that sells lots of bookmarks and gadgets.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Along with the mannifying glass need I often have a lighting issue which affects my vision. The architect who designed this house designed another one that I LOVE but he particularly fell face first on the electrical - outlet locations and lighting. I bought this Vekkia hands free light for reading in bed but works great in the kitchen. I can't even wear necklaces but this is light, non irritating, arms flex, and 3 light levels. Directed well so I can see!  https://www.vekkia.com/products/hands-free-neck-book-light?

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

51 minutes ago, heidih said:

Along with the mannifying glass need I often have a lighting issue which affects my vision. The architect who designed this house designed another one that I LOVE but he particularly fell face first on the electrical - outlet locations and lighting. I bought this Vekkia hands free light for reading in bed but works great in the kitchen. I can't even wear necklaces but this is light, non irritating, arms flex, and 3 light levels. Directed well so I can see!  https://www.vekkia.com/products/hands-free-neck-book-light?

Great price!  I've just added one to my wishlist.  My ultimate dream is under cabinet lights, but in the meantime, I'm hoping this might help with the dark kitchen issue.  

19 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Great price!  I've just added one to my wishlist.  My ultimate dream is under cabinet lights, but in the meantime, I'm hoping this might help with the dark kitchen issue.  

I had underccabinet lighting in another big open plan kitchen. I did not ask for it. The electrician said he had to do them to meet Title 24 - California's energy efficiency  standards - big enforced deal for years. - so you don't turn the giant overhead lights on when not needed. Still does not rectify the vision issue for really small stuff.  

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

These are two of my constant travel companions, for maps, menus, et al.    The "tortoise" one I bought, the black one I made from one of those magnifying glasses that fold into a little case.    I wear them instead of jewelry.    Both look close to smart and certainly fill a need.819525868_ScreenShot2022-04-28at5_55_30PM.thumb.png.b6deb3dcef7c71b47ae2c14b8d6e72a5.png

There are many kinds offered on the internet.   

• Like 5

eGullet member #80.

Magnifying glass app on my phone does the trick when needed (it basically hijacks the camera function, very simple, and free to download). Have used the flashlight function more than once in restaurants, too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

On 4/28/2022 at 4:12 PM, heidih said:

Many thanks.  Just ordered.  Amazon limited time deal $13.99.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

I received my Vekkia from amazon the other day.  It is everything that @heidih promised.  I was so pleased I ordered a newer model from the same supplier that was $2 more.  On the new version there is no lump in the middle of the (your) neck, and no wretched micro USB connector, the worst electrical connector devised by man (obviously).

In addition to perusing cookbooks, I can use the lights for commuting down the state highway in the dark of night on my trek home from the library.  Gives drivers something to aim at.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward